Recap: Supernatural S 07 E 10 Deaths Door
Recap of Supernatural Season 7, Episode 10
Written by Sera Gamble.
Directed by Bob Singer.
Air Date: December 2, 2011.
Comatose after a gunshot wound to the head, Bobby asks Rufus for help dealing with a Reaper. Meanwhile, Sam and Dean struggle to deal with Bobby's impending death.
- Abusive Parents: Bobby's father.
- The Alcoholic: Bobby's father.
- Almost Dead Guy: Bobby wakes up just long enough to write the information he learned from Dick's files.
- Artistic License – Medicine:
- An MRI is displayed next to Bobby's bed with a T2 image and a dark track ending in a bullet shaped object in his left frontal lobe. This is clearly a manipulated unrealistic image with no evidence of bleeding, metallic artifact from the bullet, or the swelling, which the physician cautioned Dean about. But more to the point, it would be extremely dangerous to do an MRI on a person who has a bullet in his brain. The 'M' in MRI stand for the very large magnet which one has to enter to get an MRI. Any ferrous metal can heat up and be moved by the magnet, and Bobby could have been killed by undergoing an MRI.
- The MRI is displayed backwards with the left brain on the left side of the screen. The convention is to have the images appear as if you were looking at the person, so the left side of the brain is displayed on the right side.
- Even if someone in a coma is breathing on his own, the endotracheal tube would not be removed as the person is unable to protect his airway.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind
- Blank Book: Type 1.
- Calling the Old Man Out: "I was a kid! Kids ain't supposed to be grateful. They're supposed to eat your food and break your heart, you selfish dick!"
- Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate: One of Bobby's memories has Dean and Sam argue over who is the bigger badass, Chuck Norris or Jet Li. They later argue about which snack foods are better; Dean loves licorice, Sam doesn't.
- Continuity Nod: After Sam gets in an argument with Dean, Sam sits down in a chair in the waiting room and rubs his hand in the same way he started to do in "Hello, Cruel World" (S07, E02).
- Dean also mentions John's death.
- Dead Person Conversation: Kind of. Rufus is more of a memory than a ghost.
- A Death in the Limelight
- The Dog Bites Back: Bobby's worst memory is the night he shot and killed his abusive father.
- Evil Gloating: Dick Roman stops in his limo outside the hospital.
- Fridge Logic: The MRI next to Bobby's brain shows the bullet entering the lateral left frontal lobe several centimeters posterior to the forehead, so you would expect a bullet wound above the left ear. Instead we saw a bullet wound in the right forehead.
- Like Father, Like Son: Bobby is afraid of becoming his father. Both Bobby and his father die from a gunshot wound in the right forehead. Bobby's Reaper lampshades it: "You got the only genetic case of bullet-in-the-brain I've ever seen".
- Parental Substitute: Bobby refers to Dean and Sam as his adopted children.
- We see Bobby be more of a father to Dean than John, taking Dean out to have fun and toss a ball around instead of shooting double-barrels.
- Punch a Wall: Dean punches a window just next to the head of the man who asks him about organ donation, breaking the glass covering a sign and bloodying his fist.
- Slow Motion Drop: The glass of milk.
- We Have to Get the Bullet Out: It is unclear why they would take Bobby to remove the bullet if he is actually appearing more responsive.