Season 5, Episode 19
Hammer of The GodsWritten by Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin.Directed by Rick Bota.Air Date: April 22, 2010.The Winchesters take refuge in a motel that's way too swanky for its surroundings; turns out that the motel is a trap created by various gods (that's right, plural) who want to stop the Apocalypse by using Sam and Dean as bait.
Body countFor this episode = 2 humans, 9 gods, and 1 archangel.For the series so far = At least 387 humans (of which 6 were witches), 61 demons, 33 ghosts, 19 zombies, 13 gods, 11 vampires, 10 angels, 9 hellhounds, 6 changelings, 3 shapeshifters, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 2 dogs, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- A Death in the Limelight/Back for the Dead: Gabriel.
- Alien Lunch: "Please let that be tomato soup. Please let that be tomato soup..." [scoops up eyeballs]
- Always a Bigger Fish: Sam and Dean(and even Gabriel) are at the mercy of the pagan gods most of the episode. Enter Lucifer.
- Bar Slide
- Blood Magic: Used to trap Sam, Dean, and Gabriel in the hotel.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Horsemen's rings are the keys to Lucifer's Cage.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Lucifer effortlessly kills the gods.
- Death of the Old Gods: The gods are pissed that they've lost their power and that the world is being destroyed by the Judeo-Christian Apocalypse. And then Lucifer shows up....
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Sam cringes at Dean's deliberately disrespectful speech to the pagan gods. It actually works, because Kali starts taking him seriously.
- Divine Date: Turns out Gabriel and Kali have...history.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Kali's speech to Gabriel on the arrogance of 'Westerners' who think the whole world revolves around them.
- Don't Make Me Destroy You: Which lines up perfectly with Lucifer's Never My Fault personality.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Gabriel.
- Elephant in the Living Room: How Gabriel addresses the Apocalypse. Ganesh gets offended.Gabriel: Not you. The Apocalypse.
- Enemy Mine: Invoked by Dean as well as the pagan gods.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Lucifer seems genuinely distraught at having to kill Gabriel. Kali, too, is upset over his betrayal.
- Fake Advertisement: Ghostfacers!
- Falling Chandelier of Doom
- Final Speech: Gabriel gives one via porno to tell the Winchesters how to get Lucifer back into the Cage.
- Flash Step: Mercury grabs samples of the Winchesters' blood, with them only noticing the cuts afterward.
- Flies Equals Evil
- Fragile Speedster: Mercury. He's the fastest God but seemingly the weakest.
- Glamour Failure: Played for Laughs when Dean walks past an open hotel room containing an elephant...WTF? He walks back to look again and has an indignant fat black man close the door on him—the fat man turns out to be the Hindu god Ganesh, whose natural form is an elephant.
- God Couple: Kali and Baldur.
- Gory Discretion Shot
- Gotta Catch Them All: Turns out the way to stop Lucifer is to gather the four rings of the Horsemen, and they've got two already. Getting the others should be easy for our heroes, right?
- Hell Hotel
- Humans Are Special: Gabriel gives a great one.Lucifer: So you're willing to die for a pile of cockroaches. Why?
Gabriel: Because Dad was right. They are better than us.
Lucifer: They are broken. Flawed! Abortions!
Gabriel: Damn right they're flawed. But a lot of them try. To do better, to forgive. [beat] And you should see the Spearmint Rhino!
- Ice Queen: Kali curtly turns down Dean before he even has a chance to start his chatting-up routine.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The security guard killed in the teaser is chopped up and served as dinner. The other hotel guests are Locked in a Freezer until they're needed for appetizers.
- Incoming Ham: Gabriel. "Can't we all just GET ALONG?"
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Gabriel re: Kali. "The chick was all hands."
- Inn Security
- Jerkass Gods
- Karmic Death: Gabriel is killed when Lucifer sees through his tricks. Which Lucifer taught him.
- Karma Houdini: Kali is still alive at the end of the episode even after all the horrible things she's done.
- Killed Off for Real: Gabriel.
- Kill the God: Lucifer kills seven of them, including ones from Norse Mythology (Odin and Baldur), Hindu Mythology (Ganesh), Classical Mythology (Mercury), Chinese Mythology (Zao Shen), Egyptian Mythology (Isis) and Voudoun (Baron Samedi). The Sole Survivor is Kali, from Hindu Mythology. Loki would count, but he's actually Gabriel, and therefore an archangel.
- Might Makes RightBaldur: You think you own the planet. What gives you the right?[charges at Lucifer, who rams a hand through his chest and out his back]Lucifer: No one gives us the right. We take it.
- New Old Flame: Kali and Gabriel.
- No, I Am Behind You
- No-Sell: Kali shoots fire at Lucifer. When it fades, he's standing exactly where he was before, smiling. Not even his clothing is damaged.
- Not So Different
- Oh, Crap!Sam: We are so, so screwed.
Lucifer: Checking in.
- And later for Mercury.
- Parental Favoritism: The Apocalypse is revealed to be just a giant temper tantrum that Lucifer is throwing because he's angry that Daddy loved humans more.Gabriel: Boo hoo! Daddy was mean to me, so I'm gonna smash up all his toys.Lucifer: Watch your tone.Gabriel: Play the victim all you want. But you and me? We know the truth. Dad loved you best. More than Michael, more than me. Then he brought the new baby home and you couldn't handle it. So this is all just one big temper tantrum. Time to grow up.
- Porn Stache
- Punch Catch: Lucifer to Baron Samedi.
- Reality Ensues: Kali tries using fire on Lucifer, who'd spent centuries in hell! Obviously it's a total No-Sell.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Kali wears a red dress and a black skirt. And underneath, a black bra and panties. Rrrraw!
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gabriel gives a brilliant one to his brother, Lucifer. Lucifer himself gives a rather impressive one to Mercury.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Mercury.
- Something About a Rose
- Something Else Also Rises: "So this is me, standing up." [grabs porn girl] "This is me lying down."
- Squick: The end, when Pestilence comes.
- The Tape Knew You Would Say That: The DVD Gabriel leaves for the Winchesters.Sam: What the hell's going on?Gabriel: [Aside Glance] Sam, Dean, you're probably wondering what the hell's going on.
- Video Will
- We ARE Struggling Together: The meeting is an attempt to get the pagans working together against a common threat. Thanks to Mercury's treachery, they get trounced by Lucifer before they have a chance to do so.
- What Ever Happened To The Mouse: Kali was never seen or mentioned again after being put into the brother's car.
- With Due Respect: Mercury to Kali. Cue Blood from the Mouth.
- The Worf Effect: The hotel is filled with such A-listers as Kali, Ganesh, Baron Samedi, Odin, Baldur, Mercury, and Loki!Gabriel. By the time Lucifer shows up, he doesn't even need to touch most of them to kill them.