Season 5, Episode 19
Hammer of The Gods
The Winchesters take refuge in a motel that's way too swanky for its surroundings; turns out that the motel is a trap created by various gods (that's right, plural
) who want to stop the Apocalypse by using Sam and Dean as bait.
For this episode = 2 humans, 9 gods and 1 archangel.
For the series so far = At least 368 humans (of which 6 were witches), at least 126 demons, 29 ghosts, 19 zombies, 13 gods, 11 vampires, 9 angels, at least 9 hellhounds, 6 changelings, 3 shapeshifters, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 1 archangel, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 dog, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rougarou, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, the whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- A Death in the Limelight/Back for the Dead
- Alien Lunch: "Please let that be tomato soup. Please let that be tomato soup..." (scoops up eyeball)
- Bar Slide
- Blood Magic
- Chekhov's Gun: The rings are keys to Lucifer's cage
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Lucifer effortlessly kills the gods.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Sam cringes at Dean's deliberately disrespectful speech to the pagan gods.
- Divine Date: Turns out Gabriel and Kali have history.
- Don't Make Me Destroy You
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Gabriel
- Enemy Mine
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Lucifer seems genuinely distraught at having to kill Gabriel. Kali too is upset over his betrayal.
- Fake Advertisement: Ghostfacers!
- Falling Chandelier of Doom
- Final Speech: Gabriel gives one via porno to tell the Winchesters how to get Lucifer back into the cage.
- Flash Step: Mercury grabs samples of the Winchesters blood with them only noticing the cuts afterward.
- Flies Equals Evil
- Glamour Failure: Played for Laughs when Dean walks past an open hotel room containing an elephant...WTF? He walks back to look again and has an indignant fat black man close the door on him — the fat man turns out to be the Hindu god Ganesh, whose natural form is an elephant.
- God Couple: Kali and Baldur.
- Gory Discretion Shot
- Gotta Catch Them All: Turns out the way to stop Lucifer is to gather the four rings of the Horsemen, and they've got two already. Getting the others should be easy for our heroes, right?
- Hell Hotel
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Taggert is Pestilence, the third Horseman to appear.
- Humans Are Special
- Ice Queen: Kali curtly turns down Dean before he even has a chance to start his chatting up routine.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The security guard killed in the pre-title sequence is chopped up and served as dinner. The other hotel guests are Locked in a Freezer until they're needed for appetizers.
- Incoming Ham: Gabriel. "Can't we all just GET ALONG?"
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Gabriel re Kali. "The chick was all hands."
- Jerkass Gods
- Karmic Death: Gabriel is killed when Lucifer sees through his tricks. Which Lucifer taught him.
- Killed Off for Real: Gabriel
- Kill the God
- Might Makes Right
(charges at Lucifer, who rams a hand through his chest and out his back)
Lucifer: No-one gives us the right. We take it.
- New Old Flame: Kali and Gabriel.
- No, I Am Behind You
- No Sell: Kali pours fire onto Lucifer. When it fades, he's standing exactly where he was before, smiling. Not even his clothing is damaged.
- Not So Different
- Oh Crap
Sam: We are so, so, screwed.
Lucifer: Checking in.
- Porn Stache
- Punch Catch: Lucifer to Baron Samedi.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Kali wears a red dress and black skirt. And underneath: Black Bra and Panties. Rrrraw!
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gabriel gives a brilliant one to his brother, Lucifer. Lucifer himself gives a rather impressive one to Mercury, too.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Mercury
- Shout Out: To Babar and the Legion of Doom. "Lucy, I'm home".
- Something about a Rose
- Something Else Also Rises: "So this is me, standing up." (grabs porn girl) "This is me lying down."
- Squick: The end, when Pestilence comes.
- The Tape Knew You Would Say That:
Sam: What the hell's going on?
) Sam, Dean; you're probably wondering what the hell's going on.
- Video Will
- With Due Respect: Mercury to Kali. Cue Blood from the Mouth.
- The Worf Effect: The hotel is filled with such A-listers as Kali, Ganesh, Baron Samedi, Odin, Baldur, Mercury, and Loki!Gabriel. By the time Lucifer shows up, he doesn't even need to touch most of them to kill them.