Season 5, Episode 18
Point Of No Return
Sam and Dean's half-brother Adam has been resurrected by the angels, who have told him that he is going to be Michael's vessel and save the world. Sam, Cas, and Bobby hold Adam at Bobby's house, along with Dean, who has lost all hope and intends to say yes to Michael as soon as he can. Dean is locked in the panic room, but he manages to escape. He goes to the nearest missionary and tries to call Zachariah, but Cas finds him first. Furious, he gives Dean a good smackdown before taking him back to Bobby's.
Meanwhile, Adam has spoken to Zachariah in a dream and has been zapped away to angel holding room. Zachariah explains that Adam is nothing but bait for the other two brothers, who he expects will put aside their differences for the rescue. Sam and Dean do exactly that. Dean is skeptical and warns Sam that he will say yes, but Sam says that he trusts Dean will do the right thing. They break into the holding room, and Zachariah begins killing Sam and Adam to force Dean to say yes. Dean does, but then tells Zachariah that one of his conditions is that Michael kill Zachariah first. In the resulting confusion, Dean stabs Zachariah and kills him. Sam and Dean escape, but Adam gets left behind as Michael arrives and the room falls apart.
For this episode = 2 humans and 4 angels.
For the series so far = At least 368 humans (of which 6 were witches), at least 126 demons, 29 ghosts, 19 zombies, 11 vampires, 9 angels, at least 9 hellhounds, 6 changelings, 4 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 dog, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rougarou, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, the whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- Abandoned Playground
- Abandoned Warehouse
- Action Prologue: It seems like the episode is starting off quietly in a bar. Oh wait, there's Zachariah there. Then Michael appears in his true form, causing earthquake-like vibrations and causing all the humans in the room to catch on fire. Light Is Not Good indeed.
- Beware the Nice Ones: "Word to the wise: don't piss off the nerd angels."
- Berserk Button: "I REBELLED FOR THIS?! So you could surrender to them!"
- Back from the Dead
- The Bait / Relative Button
- Blackmail Is Such an Ugly Word: "We didn't lie. We just avoided certain truths to manipulate you."
- Blood from the Mouth
- Call Back: Bobby's panic room is used to hold Dean this time.
- Character Development: Sam's is Discussed.
- Continuity Nod
- Designated Bullet: Bobby has one set aside if he's ever Driven to Suicide.
- Despair Event Horizon
- Dissonant Serenity: Zachariah cheerfully sings and whistles as he leaves a bar that Michael is in the process of utterly destroying. This cements Zachariah's Jerkassery (if it wasn't already obvious).
- Dramatic Irony:
Stuart (To Zachariah): "What was your 'crime against humanity''?"
- Drowning My Sorrows / A Shared Suffering: Stuart and Zachariah.
- Free-Range Children: Adam, since his mother worked a lot.
- From a Certain Point of View: Because Zachariah is a manipulative ass.
- He's Back: The second Dean flashes that smirk of his we all know he's finally come back to his senses.
- Homoerotic Subtext / Belligerent Sexual Tension: Dean sees Castiel glaring at him.
"The last person who looked at me like that - I got laid."
- Human Notepad / Battle Strip
- Incest Subtext: Zachariah snipes at the "erotically co-dependent relationship" of Sam and Dean.
- Iconic Item: Dean packs up his leather jacket, the keys to the Impala, and his Colt .45, and packs them in a box to mail to Bobby.
- Killed Off for Real
- Literal-Minded: More Homoerotic Subtext.
"Blow me, Cas!" Castiel gives Dean a puzzled look.
- Meaningful Echo: What Zachariah says about Sam and Dean being each others' Achilles Heels.
- Mood Whiplash: "Oh when the saints go marching in."
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Technically, Cas probably did hold back a bit, since Dean didn't die instantly, but he sure beats the hell out of him.
- The Power of Love: Mentioned, jokingly. Although Dean not wanting to let down Sam keeps him from saying yes.
- Doubles as a Rewatch Bonus since Sam and Dean's love for each other is what more or less puts Lucifer back in the cage.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Cas accuses Dean of being this before beating him up.
- Screw Destiny
- Trap Is the Only Option
- Wham Episode: Double Subverted: Dean doesn't actually say yes, but Zachariah dies.
- Wham Line:
Dean: "I don't believe ... in you."
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: While true in every episode with Angels, especially in this episode with Michael as he kills several innocent humans in the beginning when talking to Zachariah. Considering he is supposed to be the Big Good in God's absence, this is one of the first signs that despite his fancy speech in 5x13, he is as much of a self-righteous dick as any other angel and view humans as nothing. Also near the end of the episode.
- You're Not My Father: Dean to Bobby. Adam when talking about John.