Sisko sets out to bring traitor Michael Eddington in once and for all. But how far is he willing to go to settle his personal vendetta against him?
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Eddington wants to make Cardassian colonies unlivable for them? Then Sisko is going to do the same to every Maquis colony he can find.
- Inspector Javert: A comparison brought up numerous times during the episode, due to Sisko's almost obsessive hunt for Eddington. Eddington even starts calling Sisko Javert.
- Irony: Starfleet Security assigned Eddington because they didn't trust Odo. After reporting that he found more of Eddington's backdoor viruses in the station computer, Odo makes it a point to Sisko to remind Starfleet Security about it.
- It's Personal: Everyone knows Sisko is out for revenge against Eddington. He just doesn't care.
- Then Let Me Be Evil: Eddington has a whole Valjean/Javert complex going on with him and Sisko. Sisko eventually realizes that to win, he must stop thinking he's the hero like Javert did.