Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 05 E 13 For The Uniform
Sisko sets out to bring traitor Michael Eddington in once and for all. But how far is he willing to go to settle his personal vendetta against him?
- Heroic Sacrifice: This trait of heroes gets Invoked by Sisko to make Eddington surrender.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: Odo realizes this trope is in play when Eddington uses a Breen nursery rhyme as a Maquis signal. The lyrics are irrelevant—what matters is that it's Breen, and therefore a signal to rendezvous at a Breen colony.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Eddington wants to make Cardassian colonies unlivable for them? Then Sisko is going to do the same to every Maquis colony he can find.
- Inspector Javert: A comparison brought up numerous times during the episode, due to Sisko's almost obsessive hunt for Eddington. Eddington even starts calling Sisko Javert.
- Irony: Starfleet Security assigned Eddington because they didn't trust Odo. After reporting that he found more of Eddington's backdoor viruses in the station computer, Odo makes it a point to Sisko to remind Starfleet Security about it.
- It's Personal: Everyone knows Sisko is out for revenge against Eddington. He just doesn't care.
- Large Ham: Sisko goes to town against Eddington, probably as a form of Obfuscating Insanity.
- Percussive Therapy: Sisko indulges in this with a punching bag while unloading his frustrations to Dax.
- Repeat to Confirm: Necessary as many of Defiant's systems are hosed by Eddington's virus, including internal coms. As a result, Sisko has Nog relay orders from the Bridge to Engineering, as well as any responses/warnings.
- Then Let Me Be Evil: Eddington has a whole Valjean/Javert complex going on with him and Sisko. Sisko eventually realizes that to win, he must stop thinking he's the hero like Javert did.
- What the Hell, Hero?/"The Reason You Suck" Speech: The whole episode is Sisko vs. Eddington.