Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 05 E 12 The Begotten
While Kira is giving birth to the O'Briens' baby, Odo adopts an infant Changeling.
- Absentee Actor: Jadzia
- Birth/Death Juxtaposition: One baby dies, another one is born.
- Bittersweet Ending: The baby Changeling dies, but it merges with Odo and restores his powers. The O'Briens' new baby is born, but Kira is saddened to not have a child of her own to hold.
- Both Sides Have a Point: Both Odo and Mora Pol ultimately are shown to have points in their arguments regarding raising the changeling. Eventually they do resort to Mora's more painful techniques, which finally get the baby changeling to alter its shape...but then it attempts to mimic Odo's face, showing that the more nurturing approach Odo had used earlier hadn't been totally wasted.
- Continuity Nod: O'Brien's absence during Molly's birth is referenced.
- Infant Immortality: Averted.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Quark is suspicious of Odo being chummy with him, as it usually means that Odo wants something from him, usually a confession. It takes him a while to accept that Odo, for once, is genuinely happy.
- Open-Minded Parent/Education Mama: Odo and More basically become this. Odo, the open-minded one who doesn't want to push his baby blob too hard. And Mora, the guy who'd rather use tests to get the baby moving.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:Mora Pol: If it wasn't for me, you'd still be sitting on a shelf somewhere in a beaker labeled 'unknown sample'.
Odo: If it wasn't for me, you'd be a nobody. Starfleet wouldn't hire you to judge a science fair!
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Shakaar