Naughty Nautical Neighbors tropes include:
- Alliterative Title
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:Spongebob: My best friend, my ex best friend, and...RUBBER BATH TOYS!
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Subverted twice. First, Patrick made friends with Squidward after performing CPR to get the fork out of his throat just until he fell asleep while Squidward was playing his clarinet in which he tries dragging him out of his house, throwing out his back on the process. This causes SpongeBob to ram his head on Squidward's back, putting him back to normal. The two are friends until SpongeBob breaks his double bass which prompts Squidward to literally kick him out of his house. Of course, this didn't stop SpongeBob and Patrick from fighting over Squidward.
- Close Up On Head: At first it appears that SpongeBob has impaled Squidward on the head with a double bass bow, but the camera pulls back to show that it was just a portrait of Squidward (which already had a scared expression for some reason).
- CPR Clean Pretty Reliable: Patrick does CPR on Squidward by inflating him like a balloon and letting the air push the fork out of his mouth. He also mentions needing to wash his hands first, but then shrugs it off.
- *Crack!* "Oh, My Back!": Squidward sprains his back dragging Patrick out of his home. He shouts it again when his door falls on him at the end.
- Department of Redundancy Department: When SpongeBob and Patrick argue.Patrick: Hey, you're a turkey!
SpongeBob: What's that?
Patrick: It's what you are!
SpongeBob: Yeah? Well, you're a bigger one!
Patrick: Well, you're still yellow! And you know what else is yellow?
Patrick: You are!
- Dinner Deformation: The fork that Squidward accidentally swallows is clearly seen sticking through his neck.
- Feud Episode
- If I Had a Nickel: "If I had a dollar for every brain you don't have, I'd have one dollar."
- Laser-Guided Karma: Squidward's attempt to ruin SpongeBob and Patrick's day ends up getting his house destroyed, as well as the door crushing him.
- Manipulative Bastard: Squidward.
- Nap-Inducing Speak: Squidward's clarinet playing puts Patrick to sleep after one note.
- No, You: Most of SpongeBob and Patrick's arguments revolve around this.
- Pass the Popcorn: Squidward watches SpongeBob and Patrick argue while sitting in a lounge chair and eating a souffle.
- Temporary Bulk Change: SpongeBob and Patrick get bloated from drinking too much soda. They are back to normal once they burp it all out.
Airdate: August 7, 1999Another day at Boating School means another day with SpongeBob for Mrs. Puff, his Boating School teacher. Unfortunately, SpongeBob might just be her eternal burden, because as it stands, he's never going to pass his driver's test.
Boating School tropes include:
- Acting Unnatural: For SpongeBob, acting natural apparently means acting like a cow.
- Big "NO!": As Mrs. Puff is being put on an ambulance, SpongeBob assures her that he'll try harder next year. She yells "NO!" as the ambulance drives away.
- Big "WHY?!": Mrs. Puff each time SpongeBob fails the test.
- Butt Monkey: Mrs. Puff.
- Clothing Switch: Patrick tries on SpongeBob's clothes.What's pink and square at the same time? Patrick SquarePants!
- Department of Redundancy Department: "I am confident in my abilities to successfully succeed."
- The Ditz: Spongebob
- Genius Ditz: He knows all the answers to the verbal test, he just gets nervous and floors it when he's behind the wheel.
- Earpiece Conversation: Patrick coaches SpongeBob through his boating test by a walkie-talkie hidden under a cowboy hat. Mrs. Puff compliments SpongeBob on his improvement, joking that it's as if someone were telling him all the answers. But when she mentions that that would be cheating, SpongeBob freaks out and confesses... and crashes the boat, failing the test once again.
- Early Installment Weirdness: This is the most competent Patrick has been in any episode. He even had to talk Spongebob out of being dumb.
- Larynx Dissonance: Mrs. Puff's voice deepens significantly when she inflates.
- My God, What Have I Done?: SpongeBob's reaction when he realizes that what Patrick is telling him is cheating. It causes him to fail the test. Again.
- Overly Long Gag: Patrick going "Testing" over and over into his walkie talkie, waiting for Spongebob to respond, eventually starting to scream it.
- Staggered Zoom: When SpongeBob realizes he's cheating.
- Wham Line: "That would be cheating!"