Recap: Spongebob Squarepants S 1 E 13 Scaredy Pants I Wasa Teenage Gary
Airdate: October 28, 1999It's Halloween at Bikini Bottom, and SpongeBob wants to be the one who scares people for a change, so he goes as the scariest spectre in all the sea: the Flying Dutchman! But his plan backfires when the real Dutchman appears.
Scaredy Pants contains examples of:
- All of the Other Reindeer: Because it's Halloween, everyone (minus Patrick) makes fun of SpongeBob for being scared.
- Bedsheet Ghost: The extent of SpongeBob's Flying Dutchman costume is this and wooden clogs. People keep mistaking him for a haunted mattress due to his square shape. Upon becoming round, he gets demoted to "pillow".
- Berserk Button: The real Flying Dutchman hates being impersonated and considers SpongeBob's costume the last drop.
- Body Horror: SpongeBob has Patrick shave down his head until it's round enough to make a perfect ghost. It's later revealed that he's been shaved down all the way to his brain. SpongeBob takes it all in stride, though, and reassures everyone that it'll grow right back.
- Flying Dutchman: Making his grand debut.
- Halloween Episode
- Horrifying the Horror: The Flying Dutchman screams and flees in terror after unmasking SpongeBob and seeing his exposed brain.
- Kids Are Cruel: A group of kids dressed in their halloween costumes were amongst the people who tease SpongeBob for being scared.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Everyone who made fun of SpongeBob for being scared of Halloween were terrorized when they saw SpongeBob's brain. Except Mrs. Puff.
- Malicious Misnaming: SpongeBob being called "Scaredy Pants".
I Was A Teenage Gary contains examples of:
- Cat Concerto: The episode ends with Gary and the snailified SpongeBob and Squidward meowing on a fence. Patrick yells at them to keep quiet and tosses a boot at them, hitting poor Squidward.
- Could Have Avoided This Plot: Squidward lampshades the trope perfectlySquidward: None of this would be happening if I'd only fed the snail!
- Oh Crap!: Squidward, after he is injected with the snail plasma through his nose.Squidward: Uh-oh!
- Shaggy Dog Story: It turns out Gary was only dehydrated and needed water.
- Transformation Horror: Parodied when the snail serum turns SpongeBob into a snail.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Squidward!