Film watched: Hamlet
Mike wins a bet with Pearl and gets to choose the movie of the week, so he picks the Bard's masterpiece, Hamlet
. Unfortunately he lets Pearl pick the version they'll watch...
The MST3K treatment of Hamlet provides examples of:
- Affably Evil: Pearl forwards mail to allow Mike to stay in contact with his family.
- Alas, Poor Yorick: One of the skits has Mike hosting a gameshow called Alas Poor Who? where the bots are shown random bones and have to guess whom they belonged to.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Mike wanted to see a film version of Hamlet. Pearl complied...by presenting him with a poorly made version made in Germany.
- Bedsheet Ghost: When the bots try to pass themselves off as the ghost of Mike's father. Upon learning that he's alive, they try every other conceivable relative and get the same result.
Crow: Don't your relatives ever die?!
- Call Back: When tricking Pearl into playing a fixed game of 3-card monte and raising the stakes for the final round, Mike imitates Geronimo's Catch Phrase from Final Justice, the previous episode.
Mike: You think you can take me? Go 'head on, it's your move.
- Freud Was Right: In-Universe, Mike and the bots take the play's subtext to its funniest conclusion.
Tom Servo: Hamlet, get off your mom!
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Mike and the 'bots get some mileage from Ricardo Montalban doing the ADR for Claudius.
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: In the first host segment, Tom declares that his last name is spelled "Serveaux" (still pronounced "Servo"). Then he reveals his first name is now "Htom" (pronounced "Heh-Tom", though Mike had thought it would be "T-H-O-M"). Crow looks at Cambot in disbelief, then declares "Hey, Htom, why don't you hlick me?"
- Hypocritical Humor: After the commercial break, Crow decides to start spelling his name Cröe.
Crow: Purse your beak.
- Name's the Same: A guy named Paul Verhoven plays the gravedigger.
- Pungeon Master: Mike and the bots have a lot of fun with the now-archaic-sounding Shakespeare-lingo:
Claudius: Forgive me my foul murder.
Crow: It's just that that turkey was mouthing off to me.
- Running Gag: "Cut his throat in a church!"