Recap / Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 18 The Atomic Brain
Films watched: What About Juvenile Delinquency
(short) and The Atomic Brain
- Accidental Misnaming: Dr. Forrester addresses Mike as "Nilsson" during the invention exchange.
- Brought To You By The "?": At the end of What About Juvenile Delinquency, a question mark floats towards the audience.
- Continuity Nod:
I'm looking for the Manos
- Curse Cut Short:
Crow: I'm Dr. Clayton Forrester, and I've got my head stuck waaaay up—
Mike/Tom: WE'VE GOT MOVIE SIGN!!!
- A Day in the Limelight: Magic Voice gets the third host segment to herself, where she gets hit on by the sleazy voice-over guy from the movie.
- Dead Man Writing: Mike's reaction to March's companion reading a letter.
Mike: By the time I read this, you'll be dead.
- Department of Redundancy Department: One of the reactions to one of the naked, dead girls.
Mike: Hey, there's a naked girl in there and she's nude! With no clothes on!
- Which is a Shout-Out to M*A*S*H, as Radar exclaimed that line more than once in the series.
- Fake Nationality: The ludicrous "foreign" accents of the women.
Mike: You're all from Nebraska! Cut it out!
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Mike muses that he wants to go to Egypt and see the...sights. Meanwhile Nina is lying on her back, with her chest looking rather pointy.
- I Have Many Names: Every time Mrs. March shouts out Bea's name, Mike and the Bots tend to fill in different phrases/names at the end.
- Low-Speed Chase: Invoked when old Mrs. March sets out after the girls:
Servo: "Oh, this is going to be some chase scene."
- ...Or So I Heard:
- Overly Long Gag:
Tom: Yeah, yeah, it goes on like that. We know.
- Running Gag: Two notable ones: The various additions to Bea's name, and "Selznick International Pictures" when Mrs. March's house shows up.
- Singing like Stephen Stills whenever dog-man Hans shows up. "So we chaaaaaaange partners!" "Jump the one you're with!"
- Shave And A Haircut: When Mrs. March knocks on the door to find out if the two remaining girls are in their room, Mike shouts out "'Shave And A Haircut'! What do we do?"
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Lampshaded; rather than featuring any rock & roll (or other music that actual 50's teen delinquents might enjoy), the first half of the short is full of Dixieland jazz.
Crow: (As the mom is dusting up) What, does she live at Shakey's?
- With Lyrics: Tom adds lyrics to the Mickey Mousing background music.
Tom: (singing) She's old, she creaks, and pops...