Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 18 The Atomic Brain
Films watched: What About Juvenile Delinquency (short) and The Atomic Brain
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation contains examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Dr. Forrester addresses Mike as "Nilsson" during the invention exchange.
- A Day in the Limelight: Magic Voice gets the third host segment to herself, where she gets hit on by the sleazy voice-over guy from the movie.
- Brought To You By The "?": At the end of What About Juvenile Delinquency, a question mark floats towards the audience.Crow: Naw, more like Frank Gorshin's new name.
- Casting Gag: The "invention exchange" is simply the Bots and the Mads doing mocking impressions of each other. Crow does Dr. F and vice versa, meaning you're actually seeing Trace Beaulieu playing each of his characters imitating the other one. Both done poorly.
- Continuity Nod: "I'm looking for the Manos set."Mike: "Trumpy, you can do magic!"
- Odd, considering Mike wasn't there for that episode.
- Curse Cut Short:Crow: I'm Dr. Clayton Forrester, and I've got my head stuck waaaay up—Mike/Tom: WE'VE GOT MOVIE SIGN!!!
- Dead Man Writing: Mike's reaction to March's companion reading a letter.Mike: By the time I read this, you'll be dead.
- Department of Redundancy Department: One of the reactions to one of the naked, dead girls.Mike: Hey, there's a naked girl in there and she's nude! With no clothes on!
- Fake Nationality: The ludicrous "foreign" accents of the women.Mike: You're all from Nebraska! Cut it out!
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Mike muses that he wants to go to Egypt and see the...sights. Meanwhile Nina is lying on her back, with her chest looking rather pointy.
- I Have Many Names: Every time Mrs. March shouts out Bea's name, Mike and the Bots tend to fill in different phrases/names at the end.
- Or So I Heard:Mike: It's The Facts of Life Go to Europe!…not that I've seen it…
- Overly Long Gag:Mike: Your mission, Mr. Phelps, should you decide to accept it, is to pick up these three foreign women at the L.A. International Airport. Should you or any of your I.M. Force…Tom: Yeah, yeah, it goes on like that. We know.Mike: Sorry.
- Running Gag: Two notable ones: The various additions to Bea's name, and "Selznick International Pictures" when Mrs. March's house shows up.
- Singing like Stephen Stills whenever dog-man Hans shows up. "So we chaaaaaaange partners!" "Jump the one you're with!"
- Shave And A Haircut: When Mrs. March knocks on the door to find out if the two remaining girls are in their room, Mike shouts out "'Shave And A Haircut'! What do we do?"
- The Trope Formerly Known as X:
- (A question mark floats toward the audience at the end of the short.)
Servo: It's Prince's new name, isn't it?
Crow: Naw, more like Frank Gorshin's new name.
- With Lyrics: Tom adds lyrics to the Mickey Mousing background music.Tom: (singing) She's old, she creaks, and pops...