Recap / Kim Possible S 1 E 15 All The News
Ron starts writing for the school newspaper, looking for a big scoop
. He eventually decides to interview Kim, but finds her to not be exciting enough for a story. However, after hearing her comment about how quarterback Brick Flagg was "totally hot" (meaning good) in the last school football game, he prints a story that leads everyone to believe that Kim has a crush on Brick, which nets him fame, and causes problems for Kim.
Later, Kim's called upon to retrieve a blimp stolen from Pop Pop Porter by famous extreme stunt performer Adrena Lynn
. When Lynn bungees out of the blimp and Kim catches her, it turns out to be a dummy, as the lady fakes all her own stunts (which her fans, who often copy her antics, are unaware of). Ron learns this and writes a story exposing her as a fake, resulting in her show being cancelled. Back at Middleton High, Kim tries to deal with the Brick problem, but found out he blew a big football game the last time he was dumped and can't go through with it.
Adrena Lynn, meanwhile, seeks revenge and kidnaps Brick to lure Kim & Ron to the Middleton Fairgrounds for a showdown. The two teen heroes manage to avoid all of the various carnival rides and Ron confesses what he did, but Adrena Lynn still has her sights set on defeating Kim. However, the young hero takes her on a ride on her jetpack, and forces her to admit to being a fraud on TV. After everything is saved, Brick believes Kim set the whole thing up just to get a date from him and "breaks up" with her. Ron plans to use this as his new story, but Rufus covers his mouth, to a grateful Kim's relief.
This episode provides examples of:
- Amusement Park of Doom: Adrena Lynn's death trap is set in one of these.
- Broken Pedestal: Ron is noticeably very embittered when he finds out his idol Adrena Lynn fakes her stunts.
Kim: (regarding Adrena Lynn) This show is a mind numbing waste of satellite frequencies.
Ron: You're right. Besides, I'm taping it at home.
Mrs. Dr. Possible: She didn't really bunjee jump out of a blimp, didn't you watch the news?
Jim: No, the only show we watch is Adrena Lynn.
- Do Not Adjust Your Set: Adrena Lynn uses some equipment from her former show to broadcast her message.
- Fake Ultimate Hero: Adrena Lynn had an impressive reputation for fearlessly performing dangerous stunts—at least until it's revealed that she's actually faking all of her stunts.
- Hypocritical Humor: Ron chastises Adrena Lynn for lying to make herself popular, unaware he's done the exact same thing.
Ron: She calls herself extreme, the big fake!
- Ignored Epiphany: After Ron confesses to being the one who cancelled Lynn's show, we get this:
Adrena Lynn: Hey, Kim! The Quarterback's almost out of time, and you're going the wrong way!
Ron: Adrena Lynn, you can't do this!
Adrena Lynn: And why not? '
Ron: I'm the one responsible for you've been cancelled. I called you a fake.
Ron: I guess takes one to know one. I made up that stuff about Kim liking Brick just to sell my story.
Brick: Oh, harsh!
Ron: It worked, kinda, but the thing is that if the fake part about you is what people like, what good is that?
Adrena Lynn: Hmm.. You're right.
Ron: Right. From now on, I'm keepin' it real!
: Me, too...STARTING WITH MY VERY REAL
DEFEAT OF KIM POSSIBLE!!! (laughs maniacally
- Reality Ensues: A couple examples are shown:
- Early in the episode, Kim points out that people (particularly kids) would get seriously hurt from trying imitate Adrena Lynn's stunts, which is what ultimately happens to her brothers—Jim and Tim tried imitating Adrena Lynn's failed bungee jumping stunt by jumping off the roof of their house using yarn. Thankfully they're okay by the end of the episode.
- When TV-frequencies all over the world go down, Kim's brothers try getting their dad, an intelligent rocket scientist, to see if he can fix the TV. But even Mr. Possible himself points out that while he may be a rocket scientist, he can't actually fix the TV system, due to not being familiar with that kind of science.
- Miles Gloriosus: Adrena Lynn made of all her (faked) stunts, but when put in an actual death-defying situation by way of Kim flying her around on her jetpack, Adrena Lynn admits to her cowardice.
- Sadistic Choice: Ron and Brick Flagg are both stuck in Lynn's death trap in the expectation that Kim will only be able to save one of them. Kim easily rescues them both.
- School Newspaper Newshound: Ron assiduously searches for a big story after joining the school newspaper. After a few false starts, he gets his big break when he witnesses Kim rescuing what turns out to be a dummy dressed as Adrena Lynn from an apparent stunt mishap.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Kim says this at least twice about Brick.
- Shoo Out the New Guy: Adrena Lynn was originally intended to one of the show's recurring villains and was even included in much of the show's promotional work. However, Adrena Lynn proved to be unpopular with audience was only included in one other appearance besides this episode—a minor cameo appearance in the stinger of the Grand Finale.
- Spell My Name with a "The": Discussed in-universe.
Ron: That's it, I'll interview you, "the" Kim Possible!
- Younger Than They Look: Adrena Lynn is referred to at least twice as being a teen. Lets just say, she wouldn't get carded at bars.