Recap: Kim Possible S 1 E 15 All The News
Ron starts writing for the school newspaper, looking for a big scoop. He eventually decides to interview Kim, but finds her to not be exciting enough for a story. However, after hearing her comment about how quarterback Brick Flagg was "totally hot" (meaning good) in the last football game, he prints a story that leads everyone to believe that Kim likes Brick, which nets him fame, and causes problems for Kim.Later, Kim is called upon to retrieve a blimp stolen from Pop Pop Porter by famous extreme stunt performer Adrena Lynn.When Lynn bungees out of the blimp & Kim catches her, it turns out to be a dummy, as the lady fakes all her own stunts (which her fans, who often copy her antics, are unaware of). Ron learns this and writes a story exposing her as a fake, resulting in her show being cancelled. Back at Middleton High, Kim tries to deal with the Brick problem, but found out he blew a big football game the last time he was dumped and can't go through with it.Adrena Lynn, meanwhile, seeks revenge and kidnaps Brick to lure Kim & Ron to the Middleton Fairgrounds for a showdown. The two teen heroes manage to avoid all of the various carnival rides and Ron confesses what he did, but Adrena Lynn still has her sights set on defeating Kim. However, the young hero takes her on a ride on her jetpack, and forces her to admit to being a fraud on TV. After everything is saved, Brick believes Kim set the whole thing up just to get a date from him and "breaks up" with her. Ron plans to use this as his new story, but Rufus covers his mouth, to a grateful Kim's relief.
This episode provides examples of:
- Amusement Park of Doom: Adrena Lynn's death trap is set in one of these.
- Comically Missing the Point: Several examples;Kim: (regarding Adrena Lynn) This show is a mind numbing waste of satellite frequencies.Ron: You're right. Besides, I'm taping it at home.
Mrs. Dr. Possible: She didn't really bunjee jump out of a blimp, didn't you watch the news?Jim: No, the only show we watch is Adrena Lynn.
- And of course;
- Do Not Adjust Your Set: Adrena Lynn uses some equipment from her former show to broadcast her message.
- Fake Ultimate Hero: Adrena Lynn had an impressive reputation for fearlessly performing dangerous stunts, until it was revealed that she was faking them.
- Hypocritical Humor: Ron chastises Adrena Lynn for lying to make herself popular, unaware he's done the exact same thing.Ron: She calls herself extreme, the big fake!Ron: Disgusting.
- Ignored Epiphany: After Ron confesses to being the one who cancelled Lynn's show, we get this;Ron: From now on, I'm keeping it real.Adrena Lynn: (morose voice) Me too (normal voice) starting with my very real defeat of Kim Possible!
- Reality Ensues: A couple examples are shown:
- Early in the episode, Kim says that kids are going to seriously hurt themselves from trying to imitate Adrena Lynn's stunts, which is what ultimately happens to her brothers—they tried imitating Adrena Lynn's failed bungee jumping stunt by jumping off the roof of their house using yarn. Thankfully they're okay by the end of the episode.
- After Kim and Ron defeat Adrena Lynn, Kim flies her around on her jetpack and exposes Adrena Lynn as a coward when she realizes that there's actual danger involved in this stunt.
- Sadistic Choice: Ron and Brick Flagg are both stuck in Lynn's death trap in the expectation that Kim will only be able to save one of them. Kim easily rescues them both.
- School Newspaper Newshound: Ron assiduously searches for a big story after joining the school newspaper. After a few false starts, he gets his big break when he witnesses Kim rescuing what turns out to be a dummy dressed as Adrena Lynn from an apparent stunt mishap.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Kim says this at least twice about Brick.
- Shoo Out the New Guy: Adrena Lynn was originally intended to be a recurring villain, but unenthusiastic audience reaction limited her to this one-shot appearance (she did appear for a moment in the background of the Grand Finale stinger).
- Spell My Name with a "The": Discussed in-universe.Ron: That's it, I'll interview you, "the" Kim Possible!
- Younger Than They Look: Adrena Lynn is referred to at least twice as being a teen. Lets just say, she wouldn't get carded at bars.