Recap: Family Guy S 9 E 9 And Im Joyce Kinney
January 16, 2011
After promising to make items for a church bake sale, Lois runs into Joyce Kinney at the store. After gushing about meeting her, the two quickly become close friends, and they decide to spend the day together at the news studio and later takes her out for drinks. Joyce gets Lois to drunkenly admit she made a porno film in college called Quest for Fur
to pay for her tuition after her rich parents cut her off for blowing her school money on cocaine.
Joyce Kinney later features it in a news story. Lois is outraged and when confronts Joyce, she finds out it was in retaliation for a prank she pulled in High School, where Joyce was pantsed in front of the student body with a hot dog shoved in her mouth. Joyce's last name is revealed to be Chevapravatdumrong (which is the last name of one of the writers on the show), but she changed it to Kinney, since she believed that the news will never let that on air. Lois then says that the prank was a long time ago and that she was sorry for what she did. Joyce scoffs and tells Lois to "go talk to a news reporter."
Lois confesses what happened to the family but finds herself ostracized everywhere. Chris faces bullies at school who tease him about his mother. Meg joins in and says "yeah your mom is gross and nasty," but, as usual, gets told to shut up and stay out of it.
She eventually finds herself at church and is ordered to leave. Crying and depressed, Brian tells her that she may not be able to rectify her mistake, but she can make it so that way no one mocks her for it by making fun of herself for it (like how Ryan Seacrest made jokes about his alleged homosexuality to keep others from doing the same). Lois arrives at church the following week and, comparing herself to Mary Magdalene, shows the film to the congregation, winning their approval. Joyce is not pleased that the congregation forgave Lois.
"And I'm Joyce Kinney" contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- Adults Are Useless: Implied in Joyce's flashback. Lois and the other cheerleaders are never seen being punished for their prank on Joyce.
- Alpha Bitch: Lois in high school.
- Accuser of the Brethren/Anti-Villain: Joyce Kinney airs Lois' dirty laundry as revenge for the prank, only that she eclipsed it and not caring that Lois is sorry about the prank.
- Bait and Switch: When Brian sees Lois' film and looks down, the scene cuts to something red jutting out of a white tube. It turns out to be a woman's tube of lipstick.
- Brick Joke: When Lois confesses that she did a porn movie in her college days, Stewie worries that he may have been the end result of a porno movie (in the TV version, Brian tries to assure him that he's not, before saying he might be. On the DVD, Brian tells Stewie that he couldn't have been the end result of a porno movie since male porn actors don't finish inside the actresses). Near the end of the episode, Stewie says, "Oh, look at that. Now I'm starting to get suspicious," and we cut to a pizza delivery man in the movie who has Stewie's football-shaped head.
- Continuity Nod: Lois brings up the death of Diane Simmons from "And Then There Were Fewer."
- *Cough* Snark *Cough*: An amusing variation occurs in church.
- Disproportionate Retribution: What Lois did to Joyce was a big deal, but Joyce's retaliation eclipsed it. Chris even gets shamed at school in the fallout by bullies.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Joyce, big time. She doesn't think to confront her directly about it, and goes straight for the jugular over 20 years after the fact, damn the consequences.
- Hypocrite and Hypocritical Humor: Bonnie has the nerve to call Lois a "slut," when Bonnie cheated on Joe in "Go Stewie Go."
- A deleted scene shows Quagmire angrily calling Lois "trash." Yes, the same Quagmire who has a Stalker Shrine of Lois in his closet and tried to have sex with her on the episode where Peter has amnesia after appearing on an episode of Family Feud calling Lois "trash."
- Discussed when Lois tells the congregation that Mary Magdeline (known for being a prostitute) was friends with Jesus and Jesus forgave her for her sins, and the congregation has no right to call her out for her sleazy past and are no better than God (except for Tina Fey).
- Inspirationally Disadvantaged: Invoked as a Ratings Stunt with a news story on Angus Reed, a boy with cerebral palsy.
- Jaw Drop: Quagmire when he sees Lois' porn film.
- Kick the Dog: Lois' prank on Joyce.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Despite trying to save face and show others that she made a mistake (and Joyce going overboard), Lois did get what she deserved for pranking an unpopular girl . (not to mention her cruel treatment towards her daughter).
- Living Prop: Peter mentions this trope when he tells Lois that the people at church are just random background people whom he's never seen before, and most of them don't even move or blink.
Lois: But how am I supposed to live in this town when I'm a social pariah?
Peter: What's that? Is it them little fish that eat cows?note
- Parallel Porn Titles: Lois starred in Quest for Fur.
- Revenge: Joyce Kinney airs Lois' dirty laundry in retaliation to a prank that was pulled on in high school.
- Sophisticated as Hell: The priest's line, "I know I'm a man of God, but that shit is hot!"
- With Friends Like These...: Joyce's betrayal of Lois (by revealing her past and the supposed "justification"), and the aftermath (nearly all of Quahog shunning Lois, calling her hateful names and so forth, and being ex-communicated by her church when she turns to her pastor for help).