Recap / Family Guy S 9 E 8 New Kidney In Town
January 9, 2011
After having a Red Bull, Peter decides to make his own (out of kerosene) and suffers kidney failure, and when Peter skips a dialysis appointment while waiting for a kidney donor, Brian steps up and offers his kidney...only to learn that Dr. Harman needs both, as dog's kidneys are smaller than human's. Meanwhile, Chris is assigned to write an essay for an upcoming visit from President Obama, and Meg's heartfelt speech on what hope is (based on her miserable life) is stolen by her own brother.
"New Kidney in Town" contains examples of:
- Artistic License – Biology: Dr. Hartman didn't even know dogs have kidneys to begin with. Then again, this may be justified as Dr. Hartman isn't a veterinarian (and, as past episodes have shown, he's barely a competent doctor for people).
- Caffeine Bullet Time: Peter, after he drinks Red Bull for the first time.
- Cerebus Retcon: Dr. Hartman offhandedly mentions a time that he tried to clone a chicken and it resulted in a man sized chicken that was incredibly hostile and eventually escaped from the medical laboratory. It's not outright said, but that chicken may be the one that has been fighting with Peter ever since the Y2K episode "Da Boom."
- Cowboy BeBop at His Computer: At least in the UK, some of the episode information on Sky and Virgin (along with Netflix's episode summaries) claims that Peter goes kidney failure after years of excessive alcohol consumption, when really it was from his kerosene-laced homemade Red Bull and missing out on one of his dialysis appointments so he can riff on the Charles in Charge opening. However, American Dad! (Family Guy's sister show) did have an episode where someone suffers kidney failure from too much alcohol consumption (season seven's "The Kidney Stays in the Picture" where Hayley goes drinking with Francine and Francine's old friend), so either it was a mix-up or a last-minute rewrite.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Peter gives Chris some Red Bull and later when Peter milks a cow so fast its utters catch fire, Chris is seen running and screaming with his pants off and his crotch on fire.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: See A Date with Rosie Palms above.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Brian willing to give both his kidneys to Peter.
- Insane Troll Logic: Peter says that since kerosene is fuel and red Bull is fuel, kerosene is Red Bull.
- MST: Peter and the guys riff on the opening sequence to Charles in Charge.
- Rotoscoping: The sequence where Peter sings Ray of Light while high on Red Bull.
- Take That
- When Peter's skin turns yellow from not going to dialysis, Peter says that he's fine and can last another 20 years before puking blood and passing out.