Recap / Daria S 5 E 06
The teachers at Lawndale High go on strike following the latest impasse between Mr. DeMartino and Ms. Li over a proposed 10% raise in salary for the new teachers' union contract, prompting Ms. Li to hire scabs as substitutes—-including Daria, who becomes Quinn's teacher after the first one is fired for lewd conduct with students. Meanwhile, Jane and Trent help the striking teachers use art and music to gain support from others.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Apathetic Teacher:
- Mr DeMartino went back to this at the end of the episode. More in Yank the Dog's Chain.
- Subverted with Daria. She clearly didn't want to be involved as a scab when Ms. Li made her English substitute, but she made efforts to make her students get Romeo and Juliet and succeeds with most of them, most notably the J's and Quinn.
- Adults Are Useless: Averted. If it wasn't for Helen, who knows how far Mr. Edwards could have gone with Tiffany.
- Brick Joke: Daria says sarcastically that they could consider copy from each other, but with all the considerations... Then Stacy says that they shouldn't have copied from each other after getting low grades.
- Character Development: This is the episode where Quinn finally stops being embarrassed by displaying intelligence and openly admits that Daria is her sister.
- Characterization Marches On: Despite Season 1 having the recurring gag of Mr. O'Neill failing to remember his students' names, he recognized Trent and asked him to help with their protest songs.
- Cool Teacher: The class admits that Daria was a pretty good teacher that actually made them learn.
- Comically Missing the Point: After Quinn tells Helen about Mr. Edwards flirting with Tiffany, she only says that "Tiffany would never date a guy that wears tweed jackets".
- The Ditz: Ms. Stoller, the History substitute, was an elderly woman who kept calling Kevin "QB", changed Daria's name because it sounded like "a hippie name" and thought she was teaching a Grade School History class.
- The Dog Bites Back: After Sandi accused Quinn of getting a good grade because of Daria, Quinn subtly implies that she got from her brothers a photo of her with huge braces that she hasn't shown to people yet, which prompts Sandi to shut up.
- Dumb Jock: Ms. Stoller thought the whole time that she was teaching History to First Graders, which is the reason most of the class aced the test... Except for Kevin, who failed all the questions, especially the colors of the American Flag. Which was right in front of him.
- Ephebophile: The English substitute, Mr. Edwards, was flirting with Tiffany the whole class and rennacted a chapter of his book while he stroked her hair. As soon as Helen heard this from Quinn, she got him fired and threatened to sue Ms. Li.
- First-Name Basis: Mr. Edwards told his class to call him by his name, right before he started to get too comfortable around the students, especially Tiffany. Then when he is fired, he laments that he never got to listen to Tiffany call him "Ken".
- Genre Savvy: The moment Quinn starts talking about how her sub was flirting with Tiffany, Daria gets up from the table and brings the phone to her mother like it was instinct.
Helen: Daria! Get me the- (sees Daria in front of her with the phone) Thank you.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Daria has them debating whether or not to betray her teachers by becoming a substitute. What settles the deal is the option of making Quinn miserable.
- Jerkass: Ms. Li this whole episode. She refuses to give the teachers their 10 percent raise, openly mocked Mr. DeMartino about his last failed attempt to renegociate their contracts and, instead of being disgusted by the sleazy sub hitting on a student (and she did fire him but only because Helen threatened her with a lawsuit), she made Daria a substitute.
- Literal-Minded: Despite the fact that the substitute was hitting on Tiffany, his metaphore about "the older man making bloom the young flower" goes completely lost on Tiffany.
Tiffany: You're writing about gardening?
- Also Ms. Stoller. When Kevin instroduced himself as the QB (Quarterback), she realy thought it was his real name. She even thought Kevin was pranking her by signing a test with his actual name.
- Mama Bear: Helen immediately requests Mr. Edwards to be fired after Quinn tells her about him flirting with Tiffany during class or she would sue the school.
- Misplaced Kindergarten Teacher: Ms. Stoller. She is so senile that she thought her highschool classroom had very big first graders.
- The Nicknamer: Ms. Stoller renamed Daria "Darleen" because, according to her, "Daria" was a "hippie name" and "Darleen was pretier". Then subverted in Kevin's case, since she literally thought his name was "QB" and thought he was pranking her by writing down his real name on the test.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Yes, Tiffany may be slow and didn't realize the substitute was hitting on her, but she reveals that she (along with Stacy) always knew that Quinn and Daria are sisters.
- Serious Business: After Mr. O'Neall makes a lame rhyme, Trent threatens to leave if he wasn't going to try harder.
- Stealth Insult: Daria shoots some of these over the course of the episode.
- After Jamie plainly reads the last paragraph of Romeo and Juliet
Daria: Ok, you've read the play, tomorrow you take the test. [all the students whine] Sorry, orders from above. I'd suggest you cheat off your neighbours, but considering who most of you are sitting next to...
- Shipping: Discussed In-Universe when Jeffy gets his test back from Daria.
: A "B"! You mean, you think Mercutio had a thing for Romeo too
: No, but you argued your point well, and I thought your ideas for "keeping him out of the locker room" were original, if a little close-minded.
- Shout-Out: When returning the tests, Daria explains why Sandi deserved her "D-"
- Sore Loser: When Sandi got her D-, she first blamed Daria until she pointed out why she should have had an F instead. When that didn't work, she accused Quinn of getting help from Daria. And when Quinn retaliated and admits they are sisters, Sandi tries to rally Stacy and Tiffany to humiliate Quinn, which didn't work as they both always knew.
- Troll: Jokingly, Tom suggested Daria to make a trick question on the test so either way all of them will fail. Then Daria wonders why he hasn't been asked to prepare a class before.
- He later suggests Daria to go easy on the kids after she did a quip about doing so after she changed to her fur bikini.
Daria: I lied about the bikini.
- The Untwist: In-Universe. Sandi tries to stir up the drama when Quinn finally admits that Daria is her sister. Unfortunately for her, Stacy and Tiffany already knew all along and were okay with this.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: After successfully negotiating the new Teachers Unit contract, Mr. DeMartino felt his self confidence renewed... Only to be crushed by Kevin's ignorance once again.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Quinn tries to convince Daria to make them an easy test so her friends won't fail. Then Daria asks her "Why are you trying to defend the stupid. You're not one of them.", leaving Quinn speechless.