To be basic, when something happens that leaves a character babbling like an idiot. This can be the result of something shocking being said, which would lead to having so many emotions and thoughts at once that it becomes hard to form a complete sentence, to times when something afflicting a person leaves them unable to communicate with others. This can be especially frequent for an embarrassed Tsundere, which can be a form of fan service. For some odd reason, when something like this happens, people don't always know why. This can be especially strange if their babbling is caused by embarrassment about a crush on someone.
- Curse of Babel
- Cuteness Overload
- Emotionally Tongue Tied
- Foreign Language Tirade
- Gagging on Your Words
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Higurashi: When They Cry: During the third arc, after Keiichi gets sick, Mion makes him a lunch. Rena then lets it slip that Mion was really worried about him at this time. Cue Mion shouting in utter gibberish.
- Star Ocean: Till the End of Time: The main character Fayt, to avoid a pushy admirer, claims that his friend Sophia is his girlfriend. Immediately, she proceeds to attempt putting together complete sentences before Fayt pleads with her to play along.
- Code Lyoko: Subverted in one episode when Sissi faints and, immediately upon waking up, begins speaking to Jeremy in words that SOUND like utter gibberish. This is, as you later learn, simply Franz Hopper attempting to speak with him, with all the words coming out backwards.
- Bubi Bear of The Hair Bear Bunch uses this simply as his verbal tic.
Botch: I didn't understand a word he said!
- Tom of the Harry McCool And The Komedy Kops segment of Cool McCool also has this as a verbal tic. Harry usually translates it.