We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Recap: Community S2 E07: Aerodynamics of Gender
: Troy and Jeff discover a hidden trampoline of tranquility and Pierce will stop at nothing to learn their secret. Meanwhile the ladies enroll in a Women Studies course and Abed tags along. When the ladies are humiliated by a clique, they use Abed's ability to analyze humans to get revenge. This may be too much of a good thing in both situations.
The Community episode "Aerodynamics of Gender" provides examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Megan (Hilary Duff) and her Girl Posse. Subverted when Britta, Annie and Shirley turn Abed into one to counter them. Re-verted when Britta, Annie and Shirley become Alpha Bitches themselves, which leads to Abed insulting them, then getting out of control and insulting everyone at Greendale.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Abed can pick out a girl's imperfections from just a glance. This escalates to the point of deconstruction and He Who Fights Monsters, however.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Joshua turns out to be a neo-Nazi.
- Brick Joke: "Punch your butt" refers to Troy actually punching zombie-Pierce in the butt in the previous episode.
- Break the Haughty: The girls' original plan is to do this to the Alpha Bitch with Abed, but in the end it backfires on them.
- Breaking Speech: The burn that ends up destroying Abed's "targeting computer" amounts to this.
- Casting Gag: Casting Hilary Duff (Lindsay Lohan's historical rival) in the episode parodying Mean Girls.
- Chekhov's Gun: Pierce's dragonflier.
- The Ditz: Britta, when she mishears Abed say "RoboCop" and continues with the Pun, "Row Boat Cop." However, she covers it up with the workable quip, "Sharice is a bad rowboat. Sink her."
- Enhance Button: Subverted. Pierce has Leonard zoom in on... instructions for how to extract photos from a spy cam.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Megan at the end, after insulting Abed in order to shut him down. The look on her face indicated she was either grateful to Abed for giving her power back and/or that she felt bad about doling out such harsh comments.
- Failed a Spot Check / Selective Obliviousness: Upon discovering Joshua's racism, Troy and Jeff muse that it seemed to come out of nowhere (which it very much did for the audience), before wondering whether it did. Among the incredibly subtle hints they failed to spot? A rather large Swastika tattoo on his chest.
- Flipping the Table: Chang loves insults. At the end, he gets so excited he flips a table. (Note that the tables are bolted down...)
- Many Freeze Frame Bonuses of Abed's Robo Cam.
- Pierce mentions that there's a little man controlling the remote-control helicopter. This would later turn into part of hallucinations caused by his drug addiction.
- "Let me just make sure Pierce isn't hovering around..."
- Gender Separated Ensemble Episode: The girls try to invoke this and are annoyed at first when Abed tags along anyways.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: After Pierce's interference causes Jeff to throw the basketball onto the girls' table, they pack up and leave.
Jeff: "Where are you guys going?"
Britta: "Away from your symbolically invasive balls to a women's studies class."
- Gone Horribly Right: See Alpha Bitch.
- Happy Place: The secret trampoline on campus discovered by Jeff and Troy.
- Have You Told Anyone Else?: When the groundskeeper finds that Jeff and Troy have discovered his secret illegal trampoline...
Groundskeeper: Who else saw you come in?
Troy: If we say "nobody", are you going to stab us with your bush scissors?
- He Who Fights Monsters: See Alpha Bitch.
- Hoist by Their Own Petard: Annie, Britta and Shirley start abusing their power over Abed by labelling whoever they don't like as 'bitches', prompting him to insult them. This ends up backfiring on them when he (quite accurately) defines them as being bitches and starts insulting them. And then, one thing leads to another and he's insulting everyone. Once the dust has settled, a certain of humble pie is required from all.
- Hypocritical Humor: The episode opens with Annie, Britta and Shirley making some veiled snide comments about Troy and Jeff as they play basketball disguised as a conversation about male competitiveness as expressed through sports, in which Britta argues that it's an attempt to destroy their 'sensitivity' towards others. Their portion of the plot deals with female competitiveness as expressed through exploiting anxieties, which leads them to lose their sensitivity towards others by becoming bullies.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Abed (who has incidentally been viewing the world through a very Terminator-esque Robo Cam all episode) gives Megan his "destruct codes".
- I Did What I Had to Do: It's pretty clear by the look on Megan's face after she's finished using Abed's 'destruct codes' against him that even she found it a bit too far and didn't really enjoy doing it, but someone had to stop Abed.
- I Reject Your Reality: Shirley can't quite bring herself to concede that Abed, the whole point of his part in their subplot being his ability to zero in on someone's flaws with laser-sharp focus and accuracy, might have been on to something when he targeted her weight.
Britta: We became the kind of women that we hate and we turned you into a monster.
Shirley: The kind of monster that makes outlandish statements about someone's weight. Those kind of things hurt. Even when they're not true.
- Laser-Guided Karma:
- Pierce is ruining the trampoline, making Troy cry. He gets his double bounce and lands in a dumpster, breaking both his legs.
- Shirley, Britta and Annie using Abed as a weapon against the Alpha Bitch Girl Posse also backfires on them when they become the Alpha Bitch Girl Posse, which in turn leads to Abed starting to insult them.
- Abed invokes this by giving the lead Alpha Bitch a series of 'destruct codes' (i.e. a list of his weaknesses and insecurities) that can be used against him to stop him acting like an insult-robot.
- Lampshade Hanging: Jeff and Troy are struck by the fact that the administration feels the need to not just take the trampoline away, but carve it up with chainsaws.
Jeff: Hmm. That seems a little excessive.
- Logic Bomb: Abed tells Megan how to sabotage his runaway bitchiness by calling him out as an unemotional robot who's only doing it to try to fit in. Targeting System: Offline.
- Magical Negro: Inverted and defied to hell and back, where the kindly old groundskeeper with a magical secret is emphatically not black. Indeed, he's a WHITE SUPREMACIST.
- Meaningful Name: Inverted—"Joshua," like "Jesus," means "Savior." When we meet Joshua, we're meant to think he's some kind of a wise sage. We repeat, he's a WHITE SUPREMACIST!
- Meditation Powerup: Jeff and Troy after discovering the secret trampoline.
- Moral Myopia: Britta, Annie and Shirley all get a case of this when they start acting like the Alpha Bitches they had Abed dispose of.
Shirley: Bad isn't that bad when you're doing it to bad girls.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: An aborted attempt. Jeff looks longingly at some hedge clippers when Pierce learns of the secret trampoline, and starts to go for them when Troy stops him.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Girls. Abed.
- Pure Is Not Good: The lesson Troy and Jeff learn? Purity that demands exclusion isn't real purity.
- Robo Cam: Abed sees everything through this after he has turned into "Insult RoboCop". His POV has a computer readout instantly detailing his target's flaws. He also has a "current synopsis" for the episode so far (which only covers the information Abed would know of at the time) and memos to record Cougar Town, book Starburns for 'Troy and Abed in the Morning' (which happens in The Tag) and to remember that Troy's birthday is in 14 days.
- Spit Take: Chang does one after a particularly good burn.
- Start of Darkness: Pierce getting his legs broken, beginning his drug addiction and increasingly erratic behavior.
- Stat-O-Vision: Part of Abed's Robo Cam.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: Inverted. The girls get Abed to start insulting mean girls, then he starts insulting everyone, and they want their nice kook back. So does Abed.