"Dickens' classic tale of kindness, truth and virtue completely mucked up and ruined by having a member of the Blackadder family involved. Also Baldrick, of course, the man you can rely on to turn a Christmas dinner into a dog's dinner, as long as the dog isn't particularly fussy."
Blackadder, in contrast to the previous Blackadders and
Ebenezer Scrooge, is an infinitely kindly man who often lets people take advantage of him because of this.
Flat broke, he decides to just go to bed, since there's nothing left for him to stay up for. In the middle of the night, he is awoken by the Spirit of Christmas (Robbie Coltrane) who was asking for a drink, but decides to show Blackadder how horrible his ancestors were by means of visions (which, in terms of getting people to renounce their wrongful ways, are much more effective than line drawings.)
Blackadder realises that there's profit in evil, and decides to take it out on everyone who he remotely dislikes.
- Annoying Laugh: Millicent.
- Being Good Sucks: Everyone and their mother exploit Ebenezer for charity.
- Deadpan Snarker: Unlike his ancestors, this Blackadder is generally a nice person, but still retains this trait.
- Evil Is Cool: Invoked by Blackadder, prompting his Face-Heel Turn.
- Extreme Doormat
- Eyepatch of Power: Grand Admiral Blackadder.
- Gratuitous German: Prince Albert.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Even if the story revels in inverting the usual message with the good and kind Blackadder deciding he'd be better off being selfish and nasty, he is also punished for it: at the start the royal family plan to shower him with wealth and land for being the kindest and most generous person in Britain, but he insults them and throws them out.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The Ghost of Christmas Past, who sets out to congratulate Blackadder for being such a better man than his despicable ancestors, only to accidentally convince him that being evil is way more fun.
- Oh Crap:
Ebenezer: "Baldrick, it couldn't have been the Queen, because, when she visits people, she leaves them her Royal Seal."
Baldrick: "What, like this one?"
: "Yes, just like tha...
- Pyrrhic Villainy: Blackadder's descendants will rule the universe, but Blackadder missed out on an opportunity to become incredibly rich.
- Smarter Than You Look: Subverted with Baldrick. He can't read, write or count, but he's smart enough to question Ebenezer's Stupid Good behavior and points out that the freeloaders (especially the obese orphans) don't need what he gives them.
- Start of Darkness: Or a reboot of darkness, at least.
- Yet Another Christmas Carol: An inversion and parody.