Recap / Blackadder SS 2 Blackadders Christmas Carol
"Dickens' classic tale of kindness, truth and virtue completely mucked up and ruined by having a member of the Blackadder family involved. Also Baldrick, of course, the man you can rely on to turn a Christmas dinner into a dog's dinner, as long as the dog isn't particularly fussy."
Blackadder, in contrast to the previous Blackadders and
Ebenezer Scrooge, is an infinitely kindly man who often lets people take advantage of him because of this.
Flat broke, he decides to just go to bed, since there's nothing left for him to stay up for. In the middle of the night, he is awoken by the Spirit of Christmas (Robbie Coltrane) who was asking for a drink, but decides to show Blackadder how horrible his ancestors were by means of visions (which, in terms of getting people to renounce their wrongful ways, are much more effective than line drawings).
Blackadder realises that there's profit in evil, and decides to take it out on everyone who he remotely dislikes.
- Annoying Laugh: Millicent has an extremely high-pitched and annoying laugh. (As we find out at the end, her crying is just as annoying).
- Being Good Sucks: Everyone and their mother exploit Ebenezer for charity.
- Bowdlerization: Most versions of this special edit Baldrick's line about a dog being used as Jesus for the Nativity play to remove an additional line where Baldrick mentions the dog will be nailed to a cross for the Easter play. The earliest known case of this edit was on its first rerun in December 1989. The edited version has aired on UK terrestrial broadcasts on Christmas in the years 1998, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2014.
- Deadpan Snarker: Unlike his ancestors, this Blackadder is generally a nice person, but still retains this trait but in a playful manner.
- Evil Is Cool: Invoked by Blackadder, prompting his Face–Heel Turn.
- Extreme Doormat
- Eyepatch of Power: Grand Admiral Blackadder.
- Gratuitous German: Prince Albert.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: If you think the DVD version is safe, think again. The Blackadder Ultimate Edition DVD set has it cut. The good news is that Netflix (United States feed), the Region 1 (American) DVD version that's not the Blackadder Ultimate Edition DVD set, and the UK channel Gold have aired the original version.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Even if the story revels in inverting the usual message with the good and kind Blackadder deciding he'd be better off being selfish and nasty, he is also punished for it: at the start the royal family plan to shower him with wealth and land for being the kindest and most generous person in Britain, but he insults them and throws them out.
- Though given how easily everyone conned him back when he was nice, its unlikely he would've kept the money for long.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The Ghost of Christmas Past, who sets out to congratulate Blackadder for being such a better man than his despicable ancestors, only to accidentally convince him that being evil is way more fun.
- Oh Crap!:
Ebenezer: Baldrick, it couldn't have been the Queen, because, when she visits people, she leaves them her Royal Seal.
Baldrick: What, like this one?
: Yes, just like tha...
- Pyrrhic Villainy: Blackadder's descendants will rule the universe, but Blackadder missed out on an opportunity to become incredibly rich.
- Smarter Than You Look: Subverted with Baldrick. He can't read, write or count, but he's smart enough to question Ebenezer's Stupid Good behavior and points out that the freeloaders (especially the obese orphans) don't need what he gives them. He's also smart enough to hide the turkey when they get visitors.
- Start of Darkness: Or a reboot of darkness, at least.
- Yet Another Christmas Carol: An inversion and parody.