Recap: Angel S 01 E 14 Ive Got You Under My Skin
Angel must gain the trust of a family, one of whom is possessed by a demon.
- Awesome but Impractical: Wesley's knife for killing a species of demon that is now extinct. Cordy uses it to cut up her brownies.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: Wesley mentions Lizzie Borden, the famous Massachusetts woman accused of butchering her parents with an axe. She, too, was possessed by an Ethros demon. Angel notes ominously that the demon possessing Borden was only an adolescent.
- Badass Boast / You Have No Idea Who You're Dealing With“You are a fool. You think to destroy me? You’re dealing with forces beyond your comprehension. [snip] I am Ethros. I corrupted the spirits of men before they had speech to name me. The child was but the last among tens of thousands, one more pure heart to corrupt, one more soul to suck dry.”
- Buffy Speak: When Seth says the roast was a little dry, Angel assures him it was full of "roasty goodness".
- Cat Scare: Involving an actual cat.
- Creepy Child: The child is already psychotic, and the demon is trapped inside as he has no soul to corrupt.
- Death Seeker / And I Must Scream: The Ethros demon after being trapped in Ryan's body for so long, unable to control it.
- Description Cut: Wesley says that if a possessed person eats eucalipsis powder, the demon within is forced to reveal himself. Angel asks how he'll get to Anderson family to eat the powder. Cut to him knocking on the Anderson's door with a plate of brownies.
- Demonic Possession: Ryan.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Ryan tries to burn his sister alive because she got two more marshmallows than him.
- Diving Save: Angel, saving Ryan from being overrun by a car.
- Even Evil Has Standards: The Ethros demon was terrified at Ryan, so much that he was willing to kill himself just to escape from him.
- Evil Sounds Deep: The Ethros demon after he is exposed.
- Freudian Slip: When Wes and Cordy start bickering, Angel accidentally tells "Cordelia, Doyle" to stop.
- Ghost Butler: The demon slams the door on Cordy and Seth so it can strangle Paige.
- Gun Twirling: Angel twirls the axe he uses on the Ethros demon.
- Hannibal Lecture: The demon uses Wesley's feeling of inadequacy to distract him from the exorcism ritual.“All those hours locked up under the stairs and you still weren’t good enough. Not good enough for Daddy, not good enough for the Council.”
- Healing Factor: Paige is shocked to find Angel's cut has healed since she went to get bandages.
- Holy Burns Evil: Angel can't carry out the exorcism as he can't hold holy objects, but when Wes is unable to do so he grabs the required items and completes the ritual despite the pain.
- Honest John's Dealership: The only way to contain an Ethros demon is to trap it in a rare Ethros Box. Angel gives Cordelia the address of a shop he knows downtown, Rick's Magick & Stuff; Rick, however, does not have a box carved by "blind Tibetan monks," so Cordy instead buys a discounted one made by "mute Chinese nuns." Rick warns her it might be a little "tight across the shoulders" for the Ethros (oh boy, this'll be fun). Predictably, the box is reduced to splinters when Angel and Wesley exorcise the demon into it.
- A House Divided: The demon tells Angel that Wesley is planning to kill him. Later Wesley tries to assure Angel that it isn't true, but Angel says it's OK; he knows Wesley is prepared to kill him, which is a good thing if Angelus returns.
- Layman's TermsAngel: “He’ll be looking for a hostile environment –- somewhere damp. Probably returning to primordial volcanic basalt for his regeneration.”
Wesley: “Sea caves.”
Cordy: “Why didn’t he just say that?”
- Lethal Chef: Cordy's brownies.
- Mundane Utility: Wesley shows Angel a Kek dagger, which is the only weapon capable of killing a Kek demon. Angel informs him that Kek demons are in fact extinct. Then Cordelia grabs the dagger to cut brownies.
- Neurodiversity Is Supernatural: Subverted. Ryan was psychotic before the demon possessed him and in fact wasn't at all affected by it, but the demon does say that Ryan has no soul.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Angel saving Ryan, who has no soul, and the Ethros demon inside him, from being hit by a car.
- Now You Tell MeCordy: (picks up the vial) “What is this stuff anyway? Kind of pretty!”
Wesley: “Uh, it’s the bodily excretion of an Ethros demon.”
Cordy: (puts the vial down and folds her hands) “No one could have said "demon poo" before I touched it?”
- Oh Crap!: Angel and Wes find that the only priest qualified to do the exorcism has been killed performing that exact ritual. Ethros destroys the box meant to hold him when exorcised. Angel and Wes realise Ryan is the evil one, and alone with his family.
- Only One Name / Mr. Smith: Angel says his name is "Angel Jones".
- Psychic-Assisted Suicide: The demon-possessed Ryan 'sleepwalks' into the middle of traffic, almost getting killed before Angel tackles him out of a car's path. The demon later confesses that he would have also died had the car struck. By leaping into a body of a remorseless child, the Ethros had unwittingly trapped itself forever, with death as the only escape.
- Red Herring: The opening half has Angel suspecting the wrong man of being possessed. In the end the demon reveals that the child was born with no soul, and the demon had been the boy's prisoner while the child did the horrible things.
- Saying Too Much: Wes says that a father doesn't have to be possessed by a demon to terrorize his children, then realises he's given away too much about himself.
- So Much for Stealth: Wesley accidentally pokes a talking doll while looking through the Anderson's garbage bin.
- Super Window Jump: Angel pulling a Big Damn Heroes at the end.
- Taking You with Me: The demon is intent on killing its host, even if it means that he'll die as well.
- Titled After the Song
- To Absent Friends: Angel inadvertently calls Wesley "Doyle" when he starts bickering with Cordy. Realising he is still grieving, Cordy gets Angel to open up about his feelings. Later the demon tries to use these feelings of guilt against Angel.
- Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth: Only after taking possession of Ryan does the Ethros demon realize the child "has no soul". The demon is trapped inside Ryan and despairs at the feeling of "nothing" in the boy.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Ryan Anderson's reaction to Angel shoving him out of the path of a speeding car. Noticing the bloody scrape on Angel's shoulder, Ryan, who seems completely unfazed by his brush with death, asks Angel if he's going to cry. This is an early sign that this kid belongs in a padded room.
- Voice Changeling: The Ethros demon possessing Ryan displays this ability. It taunts Wesley in a voice identical to his own, reminding him of his unceremonious sacking from the Watcher's Council; then it strikes out at Angel by channeling Doyle's voice, playing on Angel's guilt.
- Weak-Willed: Angel tells Wes he can't carry out the ritual as he's too open to suggestion. "How many Thighmasters do you own?"