Recap: Acquisitions Incorporated
Acquisitions Incorporated began as podcasts, available through the official Wizards of the Coast website, before transitioning to live events at Penny Arcade Expo events around the United States. Their adventures to date are:
- "The Keep on the Shadowfell" (podcasts). The first half of the adventure sees the newly-founded Acquisitions Incorporated venture into Shadowfell Keep in pursuit of Irontooth, the leader of the local kobolds and goblins, while the second half (with a different DM) has the party confront a death cult of Orcus. This adventure is an abridged version of The Keep on the Shadowfell, the first module published for fourth edition.
- "The Tower of Goldenhawk" (podcasts). Several months later, the party is joined by an Eladrin intern Aeofel, just in time for a mission from the local militia captain to scout out the abandoned tower of Goldenhawk. This and all subsequent adventures were written and DMed by Chris Perkins specifically for the podcast, although a modified version of this one (titled Storm Tower) was published in Dungeon magazine.
- "The Ambershard Manor" (podcasts). The party is sent to root out a gang of bandits on the eastern road, and eventually track their quarry to the Dwarven necropolis-city of Hammerfast. But the mission becomes personal when Binwin learns the leaders of the bandits are the Ambershards, sworn enemies of the Bronzebottoms. It doesn't end well.
- "The Prisoners of Slaughterfast" (part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10). Played live at PAX 2010, this adventure sees the surviving members of Acquisitions Incorporated gather to perform a ritual to bring back their fallen comrade, only for it to fail for an unexpected reason. To get their friend back, Acquisitions Incorporated must go To Hell and Back — literally.
- "The Last Will and Testament of James Darkmagic I" (part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10). Played live at PAX 2011, this adventure follows Acquisitions Incorporated as they travel to the Darkmagic Estate, Jim's childhood home in New Hampshire, for the reading of his late grandfather's will. Once there, family rivalries soon escalate and the party are thrown into unexpected adventures and shocking revelations.
- "The Lost Episode" (part 1, part 2). Played live at PAX 2012, this adventure begins with the heroes trapped in an evil lair that's equal parts Gary Gygax and J. J. Abrams. After waking up tied to the altar of an imposing demon, Acquisitions Incorporated are met by a mysterious Drow girl who seeks their help, and warns of the dangerous "others"...
- "Ark of the Mad Mage". This adventure was preceded by "tryouts" for the new intern (1, 2, 3) and played in two sessions:
- Part 1 (podcasts) returned to the podcast format and saw the party stranded in the Forgotten Realms, having headquartered at Waterdeep and taken on Viari as a new hire to replace Aeofel. Binwin gets a girlfriend, Omin has a religious conversion, and the party set out to find the lost ark of Halaster, the Mad Mage.
- Part 2 (intro, video) concluded the adventure live at PAX Prime in 2013 and saw the party venturing into the lowest levels of the dungeon in order to find Halaster's orb, the key to opening the eponymous ark. The quest leads Acquisitions Incorporated to a mighty weapon, just in time to save Waterdeep from a monstrous threat.
- "Tyranny of Dragons" ties in with WotC's eponymous 2014 metaplot concerning the Cult of the Dragon, which was launched simultaneously with the fifth D&D edition. Season eight was played in two sessions:
- "Dragons Over Easy" (intro, video). Played live at PAX East 2014, this adventure opens with the party enjoying the benefits of fame, success and franchising — particularly Omin, now a Masked Lord of Waterdeep. Soon, however, Acquisitions Incorporated find themselves crossing wits, words and swords with their most dangerous enemy yet when they are enlisted to retrieve a clutch of dragon eggs from Dragonspear Castle.
- "Five Heads are Better than None" (intro, video). Played live at PAX Prime 2014, it sees the party trapped inside Dragonspear Castle and fighting for their dear lives, when an unexpected ally returns with reinforcements. From there on, their adventure transitions into the most epic High-Altitude Battle yet and culminates in a shocking revelation.
- Season 9 tied in with not one, but two of WotC's metaplots launched in 2014 and 2015: "Elemental Evil" and "Rage of Demons", respectively.
- "Playing With Fire" (intro, video), played live at PAX East 2015. Having arrived to Baldur's Gate safely, Acquisitions Inc. find their local chapterhouse besieged by the Flaming Fist mercenaries and fire demons, and must organize the last ditch defenses to repel an imminent assault by the Elemental Evil.
- "Darkmagic vs. Do'Urden" (intro, video), played live at PAX Prime 2015. In preparation for Acquisitions Inc.'s merger with the Dran Enterprises, the latter's CEO (and Omin's sister) decides to evaluate the party's performance by sending them into the Underdark to deal with Drizz't Do'Urden, who had lost his mind to a demonic Hate Plague.
Side storiesThese are side stories produced by the creators of Penny Arcade and Pv P, starring the core cast of AcqInc but most likely not canon in any way:
- PvP: Grand Entrance: A miscast dimensional travel spell accidentally transports AcqInc to PAX East 2015, smack in the middle of an AcqInc game.
- Penny Arcade: Acquisitors: AcqInc are hired by the Elder Zoo to acquire a marsupitooth from the Underdark in a highly illegal fashion.