Pinball: Spider-Man (Stern)
Dr. Octavius: "Ladies and gentlemen... fasten your seat belts."Spider-Man is an arcade pinball game designed by Steve Ritchie, with art by Kevin O'Conner, Margaret Hudson, Marc Schoenberg and Mark Galvez. It was released in 2007 by Stern Pinball.Based on Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy starring Tobey Maguire, the game pits the players against the villains of all three movies. Rock the Green Goblin by shooting his pumpkin bombs, build speed by whipping around Venom, then use the webslingers to launch balls across the playfield. Hit Sandman as he rises and falls, but make sure Doctor Octopus doesn't catch you in his tentacles. The game features video and voice clips from the films, and J. K. Simmons reprises his role as J. Jonah Jameson to give player instructions.Spider-Man has been highly praised by pinball players; it is considered one of the best tables ever from Stern Pinball, with a wide-open playfield, fast action, and rules that are easily enjoyable by beginners while challenging to experts. 500 units of a black limited edition table, with a screened and mirrored backglass and chrome metalwork, was released in the same year.In 2016, Stern Pinball announced plans for Ultimate Spider-Man, an updated version of this game. The playfield and backglass art will be updated with Comic Book illustrations by Mark Bagley, while the dot-matrix animations and game modes will be updated to match.
This pinball demonstrates the following tropes:
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: All of the enemy targets and mode lights are colored according to their character — green for the Green Goblin, blue for Venom, red for Dr. Octopus, and yellow for Sandman.
- Combos: Consecutive combos award bigger bonuses, and achieving 10 or more combos awards Super Combos, which give more points. Getting 50 combos starts a two-ball Combo Multiball.
- Damsel in Distress: Mary Jane Watson, in the "Rescue MJ" mode.
- Deadpan Snarker/Large Ham: J. Jonah Jameson, played deliciously by J.K. Simmons.Jameson: "What're you waiting for, Chinese New Year? Go, go, go!"
- Licensed Pinball Table: It encapsulates all three movies and includes all-new dialog from J.K. Simmons.J. Jonah Jameson: "Eight arms? He should be playing this game!"
- Limited Special Collector's Ultimate Edition
- Moving Target Bonus: The second and third Green Goblin modes require hitting a moving target, with more points awarded for hitting it directly as opposed to hitting its afterglow.
- New Game+: If the Wizard Mode is successfully completed, all scoring is doubled for the remainder of that ball.
- No Sell: A magnet allows Doc Ock to grab incoming pinballs before they have a chance to hit him.
- Setting Update: Ultimate Spider-Man, which is essentially the same game but with a more Comic Book-style art design.
- Shout-Out: Word Of God is that Sandman's center bank of three targets is a tribute to Attack from Mars.
- Score Multiplier: The shots can have their values doubled or tripled by completing modes. Additionally, all scoring is doubled if the Wizard Mode is completed, on top of existing multipliers, making some shots potentially 4x or 6x.
- Skill Shot: Shoot the flashing top rollover lane for bonus points, a 5X bonus multiplier, and double bumper values.
- Alternately, soft launch the ball so it rolls back down to the upper-right flipper, then hit the left Venom ramp for 500,000 points and a boost in the Venom value.
- Spelling Bonus: HERO increases the bonus multiplier, and WEB awards a score bonus.
- Take That Player: Several, delivered with Jameson's sardonic bite.Jameson: (after a quick drain ball saver) "Play better."
- Timed Mission: All of the non-villain modes, which gives you 40 seconds to hit a series of flashing shots.Bonesaw: "I've got you for three minutes!"
- Tyop on the Cover: Venom's third mission, "You Ooze, You Lose," was spelled as "You Ooze, You Loose" at the back of the playfield in early copies.
- Warp Whistle: The "web slingers", transparent arches which quickly carry pinballs across the playfield.
- Wizard Mode:
- The sub-Wizard Mode is the "Battle Royale", which is available after beating each villain twice. This is a multiball mode where the player must complete hits on each foe to light the Royale bonus, then collect it at the right ramp.
- The main Wizard Mode is "Super Hero", available after beating each villain three times and completing the five non-villain modes. Hit all the red arrows, then hit all four villains and the white arrows, hit Sandman over forty times, then shoot the Spider-Sense shot for 250 million points.
Jameson: "Eight arms? He should be playing this game!"