Just Add GUTS
Skull: "Prepare for the ride of your life!"No Fear: Dangerous Sports
is a 1995 pinball game
designed by Steve Ritchie
with art by Greg Freres
. It was released by Williams Electronics
and is based on the "No Fear" clothing line.
For those unfamiliar with the brand, No Fear
is based on extreme sports and racing, and the pinball game features appearances by motocross racer Jeremy McGrath, skiier Glen Plake, NASCAR
racer Robby Gordon, water skiier Sammy Duvall, and climber Dan Osman. Go over the edge, jump the ramps, shoot the tubes, race on the asphalt, loop the summit, and freefall out of an airplane. For a bigger rush, scream through the playfield accelerator to build up speed, then try to make it across the ramp. After you've gone through all of that, take on the Major Challenges to show what you've really
got — all while Skull the Bone Head keeps taunting away.
The No Fear: Dangerous Sports pinball demonstrates the following tropes:
- Angry Eyebrows: The bottom of the playfield features a close-up of a pair of angry red eyes.
- Announcer Chatter: Skull and the Announcer.
- Creator Cameo: Greg Freres and Steve Ritchie voice the Announcer and Skull, respectively.
- Deface of the Moon: The words "NO FEAR" are carved into the side of a mountain.
- Dem Bones/Oracular Head: Skull.
- Development Gag: One of the lines makes a reference to Steve Ritchie's motorbike accident, in which he lost part of his finger.
- Everything's Better with Cows: If you get a high score and enter the initials MOO, Skull will say "Moooo!" after your free credit is rewarded.
- Extreme Sport Excuse Plot
- Flaming Skulls: Skull the Bone Head, who's peppered all over the playfield.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Skull has 'em.
- Have a Nice Death: When you drain the ball down the outlanes, Skull laughs at you, or says the following:
Skull: "Crash and burn!"
Skull: "No pain, no gain!"
- Hollywood Skydiving: Invoked in the dialog for "Air Challenge".
Skydiver: "Wait a minute! I've never done this before! How do I do it? Where's the rip cord? I wanna go back!"
Skull: "Shut up and JUMP!"
- Incendiary Exponent: The playfield and cabinet are decorated with flames, just to make everything more EXTREME.
- Kinetic Toys Are Just Better: The jumps loop, which magnetically accelerates pinballs to high speed. However, unlike the Supercharger from The Getaway: High Speed II, the player must use the upper-right flipper to constantly shoot the ball back into the loop for greater speed (and points).
- Match Sequence: Later revisions of the software implement a dice roll match sequence, in addition to the traditional match sequence.
- Never Trust a Title: The "No Limits" Major Challenge, where the value of each shot starts at 20 million and each one collected adds another million... only to cap out at 70 million points per shot.
- The Nineties: Oh so much.
- Rated M for Manly
- Pinball Scoring
- Second Place Is for Losers
Skull: "Second place is the First Loser!"
- Shout-Out: To Terminator 2: Judgment Day:
- Skull says "Get out!" when you shoot the tube saucer at certain times.
- No Fear's "Payback Time" is the same as T2's version.
Skull: "IT'S... PAYBACK TIME!"
- Skill Shot: Similar to Star Trek: The Next Generation, you select the award before plunging the ball. For the Flipper Skill Shot, shoot the left ramp for 50 million points.
- Spelling Bonus: After completing all challenges, spell N-O-F-E-A-R to start the three major challenges.
- Spiritual Successor: No Fear's playfield combines elements of High Speed (and its sequel), Black Knight 2000, and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, while the ruleset is similar to Star Trek: The Next Generation's.
- Take That Player: If you drain the ball early, Skull yells, "Play better!"
- Video Mode: Motocross race with Jeremy McGrath: you control McGrath and try to collect points while racing around the track before reaching the finish line.
- Wizard Mode: "Meet Your Maker", a four-ball multiball with everything lit. There are also the sub-wizard modes, "No Limits" and "Fear Fest".
Skull: "It's time to Meet Your Maker! And I'm driving!"
Skull: "Do it again!"