A Sure Bet!
It's Within Everyone's Reach.Jack*Bot
(Full title: Jack*Bot: A PinBot Adventure
) is a 1995 pinball
game made by Barry Oursler
and Williams Electronics
, with art by John Youssi
. It is a sequel to both Pin*Bot
and The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot
, using a rethemed Pin*Bot
playfield with a dot-matrix display added.
The game is themed around an intergalactic casino, with Pin*Bot hosting four gambling games — Pin*Bot Poker, Slot Machine, Roll the Dice, and Keno — with several other methods of getting points. Eventually, you'll get to the Casino Run
, where you spin a wheel and hope to get a good spot, avoiding the bomb
One interesting game mechanic is that the player can cheat in most modes by mashing the Extra Ball buy-in button, letting Pin*Bot aid the player in some way.
The game tends to be contested
, as it's basically just Pin*Bot WITH A CASINO THEME!
Nonetheless, it has its share of fans who appreciate its dot-matrix display and challenging gameplay.
This pinball machine contains examples of:
- Betting Mini-Game: Naturally, being casino-themed. The four casino games at the saucer allow you to go double-or-nothing with the points you won from the game. Shoot a timed shot under the left ramp to double your points, but if you drain, you lose your winnings from the game. The Casino Run Wizard Mode (described below) is one as well.
- Boobs-and-Butt Pose: The Bride takes this pose on the backbox's side, though she's standing up.
- Bridal Carry: The backglass shows Pin*Bot carrying The Bride in his arms, while simultaneously holding a handful of playing cards.
- Button Mashing: Mashing the Extra Ball buy-in button is how you cheat.
- Cartoon Bomb: These litter the Casino Run wheel, waiting to end the mode.
- The Casino: ...IN SPACE!
- Double Unlock: Part of one: one of Mortal Kombat 3's Kombat Kodes simply prints the text "Hold Flippers During Casino Run" on the screen. While most people would be left scratching their heads, those few who were both gamers and pinheads would know to hold the flippers at the beginning of Casino Run when the MK3 symbol is visible to receive game tips.
- Easter Egg: Press both flipper buttons when the wheel is spinning in Casino Run to get a Kombat Kode for Mortal Kombat 3. (Another Kombat Kode in 3 itself tells you how to do this.)
- Occasionally, the Extra Ball button flashes during Attract Mode: push it to reveal the credits and the story behind the project (and a dedication to Joe Joos Jr.).
- Also, watch the Keno card when you get a high score and enter your initials.
- Everything's Better with Cows: A cow can be awarded during Casino Run, adding a Special.
- Cheating during Casino Run prompts a soundclip of a moo to play.
- Fembot: The Bride of Pin*Bot.
- The Future
- Humongous Mecha
- In Memoriam: An Easter Egg reveals the game is dedicated to Joe Joos Jr, who made several interesting pinball toys.
- Look Behind You: When cheating, Pin*Bot yells something to this extent. Possible phrases include "Look over there," "Look, Halley's Comet," and "Look, there's Rudy".
- Machine Monotone: Pin*Bot again.
- Metal Eye: Once again, the balls serve as Pin*Bot's eyes.
- Mythology Gag: One of the phrases Pin*Bot can say when cheating is "Look, there's Rudy."
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: The Bride has 'em.
- No Fair Cheating: Completely averted - you can cheat by mashing the Extra Ball buy-in button to win various modes, with Pin*Bot's help.
- No Plot? No Problem!: While the first two games at least had some plot, this installment doesn't even try (though it can be inferred that Pin*Bot is the dealer in the Pin*Bot Poker games).
- Oddly Named Sequel 2: Electric Boogaloo
- Pinball Scoring: Quite prevalent, with replay values being in the billions.
- Pun-Based Title
- Punny Name: The Jack*Botsnote .
- Recycled IN SPACE!: The playfield is the same as Pin*Bot's.
- Recycled Set: As noted above, the Jack*Bot playfield is a redecorated version of the one from Pin*Bot.
- She's Got Legs: The Bride shows off her legs both on the backglass and on the playfield.
- Sistine Steal: Done on the sides of the cabinet, which feature a close-up of Pin*Bot and The Bride's hands touching outstretched fingers
- Space Is Noisy: And sounds just like a casino!
- Title Drop: Whenever you get a jackpot... or rather Jack*Bot.
- Whammy: The Bomb serves as this in "Casino Run", sapping all your points and ending the Run instantly.
- Wizard Mode: "Casino Run", where you get one ball and 45 seconds to build up your bank of earnings, then shoot either eye socket or the Game Saucer to spin a slot machine and decide whether to risk your winnings (Points/Extra Ball lightings/Specials) or to cash out and keep them. Naturally, deciding to carry on brings the opportunity for bigger earnings, but at a risk of losing everything in the bank either by failing to spin again before time runs out, or to spin and possibly get bombed out.