Nightmare Fuel: The Fairly OddParents
A colorful, cute cartoon like this can't possibly have moments like this, right?
- The ending of "Beddy Bye" has what is probably the absolutely worst Gross-Up Close-Up in the history of Western Animation EVER. It's so detailed and really jarring for a show with a simplistic animation style. It tops Squidward's famous "does this look unsure to you?" glare, which is saying a lot.
- There's an episode where Crocker and Norm team up to thwart Timmy by killing him in increasingly ridiculous ways, similar to how the Wile E. Coyote stuff works. Not only is this horrible on its own, but Norm keeps suggesting that Crocker wish Timmy to Mars; when Crocker refuses, Norm takes his lamp and gives it to Timmy, on the condition that his first wish is to send Crocker to Mars, just to show him that it would have worked.
- "That's Life" is one hell of a Zombie Apocalypse.
- If you think Eddie is bad, see the ending.
- That's not the only scary thing about it. How about the creepy echoing of "Summer Camp". It was supposed to be a joke, but it ended up downright terrifying.
- The episode "Timmy's 2-D House of Horror". Timmy deliberately wished for 3-D glasses that would show horrific images so that Vicky and her family would move out of the Turner's home. These images included severed arms in the food and spaghetti and eyeballs. As the purpose of this episode was to show the most frightening images to Vicky's family, the producers HAD to know it was frightening for children and adults.
Timmy's mom: "Who wants spaghetti and
- How Vicky sees it as mundane is also terrifying in and of itself. It's already been established she's an Alpha Bitch, but what does this say about her true nature?
- And there's "Just The Two Of Us", where Trixie goes BATSHIT.
- Especially considering she's willing to kill Timmy if she can't be with him.
- The worst part of it is she needs him around to compliment her. That's all. She's so used to being told she's pretty that she can't imagine being a world were she isn't hearing that 24/7. She never liked him, she only stayed with him to be told she's pretty.
- Especially considering she's willing to kill Timmy if she can't be with him.
- In another episode, because of Timmy travelling to the past to prevent his dad from winning a race and thus Timmy's mom, this results in a dystopian future in which Dad becomes a creepy Stepford Smiler to cope with his loss and forces everyone else to be one as well, whom he calls his "children".
- The sequence where Crocker had his memory erased as a child. Brr.
- "The number you have reached is trying to kill you."
- In the episode "Lights Out", Timmy wishes everything to be dark for 12 hours after Poof's crying keeps him up all night. This causes Cosmo and Wanda to become 'Scary Fairies'. Not only do they look scary,◊ they're out to get Timmy, and do various things to kill him. And that picture isn't even their scariest form.
- Another very disturbing thing is at the beginning of the episode "When L.O.S.E.R.S Attack", when ''Timmy is incinerated by a type of ray gun. Timmy was standing there and screamed NOOOOO! and then there was a big hole and his hat fell to the ground. Granted, it turned out that it was not really Timmy but it was still unnerving seeing a ten year old boy seemingly vaporized.
- Super Bike's Yandere side.
- "Super Toilet!"
- There's also the fact that he turns into a freaking demon from hell upon being rejected by Timmy.
- Some of Wanda and Cosmo's evil ex-godchildren, specifically Maryanne. What did she do? Wish for the murder of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife. That's right, that little blonde girl caused World War I... and technically World War II, the Cold War, the Vietnam War, the War on Terror etc. This implies she's the reason there's a "no killing" rule in Da Rules.
- Either that or she's just that good at working around Da Rules indirectly. After all, the guy who assassinated Ferdinand was lucky enough to be eating lunch at the right place at the right time when the vehicle came by...
- Da Rules were written down by the first assembly of the Fairy Council, which was thousands of years ago, so no, there's always been a No Killing rule. Which means that yes, Maryanna DID find a way around the rules, which wouldnt even be particularly difficult, she'd just have to wish that, say, the archdukes car had to take a particular path that put him in the path of the assassin.
- Give us the boy. What, can Timmy's parents not find one freakin' normal babysitter!?
- The Gigglepies. sure they seem like cute innocent creatures until you discover their Pure Is Not Good. nature and their plans of turning yugopotamia into a nightmarish utopia of happiness and merchandising.
- Especially the ending! It's mentioned that every time the Gigglepies land on a planet, they start conquering it with their hypnosis. Timmy had successfully vanquished the threat on Yugopotamia, but at the end, they land on our planet, and this time, WE LIKE THEIR CUTENESS!!
- The episode "App Trap". Oh dear:
Chatty: Hello, Timmy. I'm your virtual assistant, Chatty. I come complete with games, a camera, an MP3 player, and A BURNING DESIRE TO CONTROL YOUR LIFE.Timmy: WHAT?Chatty: ...I mean, UNLIMITED TEXTING.
- Vicky in "When L.O.S.E.R.S Attack".
- In "Timmy's Secret Wish"... you know how it's a Foregone Conclusion that all kids lose their fairy godparents someday? In this episode, it's revealed that all wishes that aren't unwishednote but ripped away by that rule are thrown into a Physical Hell known as the Hocus Poconos. Including Poof. He was one of Timmy's wishes, after all.
- Don't forget that Timmy secretly wished that everyone would stop aging....FIFTY YEARS AGO! It's a jarringly sudden and swift deconstruction of the series' Comic-Book Time which is played completely straight for pure shock. When Father Time undoes the wish, it's also shown that Timmy was holding the world back from becoming a futuristic utopia. Because he was that unwilling to be separated from Cosmo and Wanda one day.
- In "Fairly OddPet", when Timmy and Sparky are in a plane about to crash, Sparky STEALS THE ONLY PARACHUTE AND JUMPS OUT OF THE PLANE WITH SAID PARACHUTE! I want you to keep in mind that fairy dogs CANNOT DIE! So, basically, Sparky just left Timmy to die in a plane going to crash! Luckily, Timmy landed in a pool, but would you imagine if there WAS no water in the pool there, let alone no pool whatsoever? ...Yeah.
- Sparky can't die but that doesn't mean he can't feel pain; falling from 50 stories is not going to be fun. Of course, the alternative is killing Timmy, so he's still a jackass.
- While all of Timmy's stories in "Dimmsdale Tales" are easily Nightmare Retardant there is Fridge Horror surrounding the second story involving a plane in which everyone from the passengers to the pilot are copies of the person you hate most. What the person boarding hated someone who was a homicidal sociopath?
- In the episode with the voodoo doll expies, Timmy comes dangerously close to being shredded alive, head first.
- Is anyone else mildly disconcerted by the Hall of Infamy? Sure, Timmy didn't even notice a difference from the Hall of Fame, but an unkempt, decrepit hall filled with single-color background photos of sneering children labeled with nothing but their first name? Brr.
- People tend to forget that despite Mr Crockers status as Butt Monkey and Laughably Evil, he's actually a very serious threat. The man knows for a fact that fairies are real, he'll stop at nothing to capture one, doesnt care that he'll ruin some kids life in the process, and his ultimate goal with magic is to TAKE OVER THE WORLD. We've already seen the consequences of him succeeding in Abra-Catastrophe, a Crapsack World in the style of "1984". On top of that, he's a Sadist Teacher who delights in the control he has over helpless children. And like Vicky, Timmy cant get rid of him permanently, because he's part of the reason why he even has fairies.
- The premise of the show is Nightmare Fuel in itself. While well-intentioned, the system that Fairy World has put up to manage the fairy godparents have had disastrous consequences time and time again, an inevitable result when you give kids access to unlimited magic. If it wasnt for the shows Reset Button, the fairies would have caused far more damage than any other magical creature. Cosmo alone destroyed Pompei, Atlantis AND Xanadu!