Nightmare Fuel: Garfield
- Maybe not exactly "nightmare fuel," but did anyone else find this comic just a tiny bit creepy.
- Those eyes...THOSE EYES...brrrrrr.
- The horrifying Halloween-themed strip◊ in 1989 depicted Garfield waking up in an abandoned house to learn he's in an alternate reality where he no longer exists. Unable to cope with being alone, he screams out "I don't want to be alone!", and the next thing he knows he's back in his own time again. Some fans speculated that this meant Garfield was really in an abandoned house and slowly starving to death, and imagining future strips in a never-ending state of denial. Jim Davis himself has said that this is false; he had wanted to write a Halloween strip that was actually scary, and decided on what he felt was what people feared the most: true loneliness.
"An imagination is a powerful tool. It can tint memories of the past, shade perceptions of the present, or paint a future so vivid that it can entice... or terrify, all depending upon how we conduct ourselves today..."
- One of the scariest things in this series was the exterior of the house; that panel is a masterpiece of utterly-terrifying desolation. Compared to other haunted houses in all types of media, this would be the one that the Ghostbusters would avoid completely.
- The◊ Halloween◊ arc◊ from◊ 1982◊.
- Some of the other Halloween◊ strips◊ are also◊ creepy.◊
- The title panel for this Sunday strip◊.
- Although the strip can be scary for some, either...
- This 1989◊ comic strip...
- And this 1993◊ strip.
- There have been at least two strips in the early 80s where Garfield ends up being eaten alive by a dog.
- The scene in the first movie where Garfield sneaks into the train controller room in order to get the train Odie is on back to the station. He accidentally rewires the tracks so every single train will crash into another one, and the entire time, he's making snarky comments about it. ("Seattle? I don't care about Seattle." "Sheesh, you sound like my mother.") Fortunately, he presses the "Cancel" button seconds before they crash.
- Also Odie being shocked repeatedly with the shock collar.