Music: The New Pornographers
An Indie Rock
and/or Power Pop
(depending on who you ask) Supergroup
with origins in Vancouver
, BC. Formed in the late Nineties
, they released their first album, Mass Romantic
, in 2000.
Being as they are a supergroup, all of the members had significant careers before the band started, and most still do. However, the band really launched them up into the heights of indie fame.
- Dan Bejar (of Destroyer, Swan Lake, and Hello, Blue Roses)- Vocals, keyboards, multi-instrumentals
- A. C. Newman (solo, and also Zumpano and Superconductor) - Vocals, guitar, more or less everything else
- John Collins (of The Evaporators) - Bass, guitar, more or less everything else
- Kathryn Calder (of Immaculate Machine) - Vocals, piano, other keyboards
- Neko Case (solo, and also Maow, Corn Sisters and Cub) - Vocals
- Kurt Dahle (of Limblifter and Age of Electric) - Drums, assorted percussion
- Todd Fancey (solo, and also Limblifter) - Guitar, mandolin, banjo
- Blaine Thurier (former filmmaker) - Some really freakin' weird instruments. And a sampler.
Most songs are written by Newman, with Bejar and Collins making a few contributions on most albums.
- Mass Romantic (2000)
- Electric Version (2003)
- Twin Cinema (2005)
- Challengers (2007)
- Together (2010)
Tropes associated with this band include: