CHVRCHES is a Scottish Synth Pop trio. The members consist of Lauren Mayberry (lead vocals, additional synthesizers), Iain Cook (synthesizers, guitar, bass, additional vocals) and Martin Doherty (synthesizers, samplers, additional vocals, and occasional lead vocals).
- Recover EP (2013)
- Gun EP (2013)
- EP (2013; Japan only)
- The Bones of What You Believe (2013)Singles: "Lies" (2012; 2013 [re-recorded version]), "The Mother We Share" (2012), "Recover" (2013), "Gun" (2013), "We Sink", "Under the Tide"
- "Dead Air" (2014, for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1)
- "Get Away" (2014)
- Every Open Eye (2015)Singles: "Leave a Trace" (2015)
"The Tropes We Share"
- A Day in the Limelight/Step Up to the Microphone: Martin Doherty performs on "ZVVL", "Under the Tide" and "You Caught the Light".
- Album Title Drop: A semi-example; the title's dropped in the bonus track "Strong Hand," rather than the album proper. "Give me the bones of what you believe / Maybe they'll save you from me..."
- Bolero Effect: "Tether".
- Cover Version: "I Would Die 4 U", stylised as "I Would Die 4 V", "It's Not Right But It's Okay" and "Bela Lugosi's Dead".
- Downer Ending: On first listen, "Under the Tide" seems to be about a couple working through a failed relationship. However, in an interview with the lead singer, the band revealed it was written for a friend with terminal illness who recently passed. This information casts the song in a new, more depressing light.
- Fading into the Next Song: "Night Sky" —> "Science/Visions" on The Bones of What You Believe.
- Genre Shift: "ZVVL" and the two remixes of "Recover" sound very much out of place on Recover EP.
- Genre Throwback: To 1980s synthpop.
- Gratuitous Panning: On "The Mother We Share", the opening "Oh ah oh oh oh ah" vocals repeatedly bounce back and forth between the left and right channels.
- Idiosyncratic Cover Art: The cover of Recover EP shows a symbol with three V shapes on it. The cover of "Gun' shows a symbol with three circles. The cover of The Bones of What You Believe combines both symbols. This was eventually dropped with the cover of Every Open Eye.
- Last Note Nightmare: "We Sink" ends with some weird digital gurgling, which sound like the bottom of the sea.
- Lyrical Cold Open: "Recover", "ZVVL", "Tether", "Night Sky", "Strong Hand" and "Broken Bones".
- Lyrical Dissonance: "Gun" has rather violent lyrics for an upbeat electro-rock song.
- As is "By the Throat".
- Most of their music could count.
- Non-Appearing Title: "ZVVL".
- Not Christian Rock: Despite the name, they're not a Christian band. They chose the name because it "sounded cool".
- Older Than She Looks: Lauren is 27 but looks much younger.
- Precision F-Strike: "The Mother We Share" and "We Sink".
- Retraux: Their songs sound like they came out of the 1980s.
- Shout-Out: The title of "ZVVL" appears to be one to Ghostbusters.
- Surreal Music Video: "Gun".
- Two Guys and a Girl
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: They're named this way so they could be easier to Google.
- Also "ZVVL".