"The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko"(Warau Kanoko-Sama)
tells the story of Kanoko Naedoko and her episodic misadventures.
Kanoko Naedoko constantly changes schools but she never makes friends and doesn't get along with people very well... which it's more than okay with her, Kanoko considers herself a perfect '"observer"'.Her hobby is observing the students in all of the different schools she is transferred to, indeed her notes are journals of the most colorful 'classroom drama'. But what will happen when Kanoko becomes involved with Tsubaki Haru
, Momoka Hanai
and Natsukusa Touta
, her classmates at her 99th
school? Will she become more than just an observer this time?
It also has a sequel named "Koi Dano Ai Dano"
, which features Kanoko and her friends in high-school. Kanoko has entered Takara no Tani High School with Tsubaki. For some reason, she becomes the “Strategist” for Cultural Affairs Department in reference to the Three Kingdoms and ends up joining the Newspaper Club….?!
This manga provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Otabe towards Kanoko, she is not amused.
- Alpha Bitch: Marine Suitenguu, who hides under a nice girl faÇade.
- Ambiguously Gay: Esupa Raidou.
- Art Evolution
- Big Man on Campus: Haru Tsubaki. Be it middle-school or high-school! He is instantly popular.
- Childhood Friends:
- Jouran Hijiri and Himeno Sayuri
- Shinonome Kyoko and Shingoijo Yukari.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Yumemi, to an amazing degree. There doesn't seem to be a single waking moment of her life where she isn't getting swept up in (usually very strange and nonsensical) romantic delusions about what's going on around her.
- Deadpan Snarker: Kanoko Naedoko!
- Tsubaki Haru has some pretty good lines too, usually at Naedoko's expense.
- The Ditz: Momoka
- Dogged Nice Guy: Natsukusa Touta towards Hanai Momoka.
- Ouji Mitsuki towards Himeno Sayuri.
- Dumb Blonde: Momoka... She lives taking suplementary lessons and make-up exams.
- The Fake Cutie: What most cute girls are.
- Friendless Background: Several characters.
- Girl/Guy of The Week: Often in the prequel, as Kanoko changed schools every new chapter.
- Good Is Not Nice: Kanoko and Tsubaki
- In Love with Love: Yumemi
- In-Series Nickname:
- Momoka calls her"Kano-chan" and Kanoko returns the favor with "Momo-chan".
- "Nina" for Ninagawa Mayumi.
- "Prince" for Ouji Mitsuki.
- Shinonome Kyoko really wants to be called Okyou-senpai
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: While never outright stated, you can see that part of Kanoko's friendless background comes from this.
- It's All About Me: Ninagawa Mayumi, Aida Mitsue and Suo Naruichi
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Kanoko and Tsubaki
- Kawaiiko: Mayumi a.k.a Nina, Nami and Mitsue.
- The Klutz: Kyoko, a.k.a Okyou-senpai.
- Lady Killer In Love: Tsubaki for Kanoko, Natsukusa for Momoka and Ouji for Sayuri.
- Last Name Basis: it is "Tsubaki" and "Naedoko".
- Natsukusa's name "Touta", is easily forgotten if you don't pay attention
- Legal Jail Bait: What Otabe is into, though he is acused of being a Lolicon anyway.
- Meganekko: Kanoko, Sachiko (pre-make over) and Yukari.
- Meaningful Name: the author loves them!
- Kinokodani Sachiko ("kinoko"=mushroom) who is a bit of a gloomy girl.
- Kawai Nami, a cute(kawaii) girl.
- Subeyoshi Takeo, who is "good at everything as his name sujests".
- Yumemi Hitomi, a girl who loves to fantasize/dream. ("Yumemi"=dream seer + "Hitomi"=eyes).
- the Kaneari family, Kane=Money.
- Esupa Raidou, who claims he can see spirits('Esper'), and Oka Ruto who loves the 'Occult', ghost stories, U.F.Os and such.
- Warui Tadayoshi, "Warui"=wrong, bad, etc
- Ouji Mitsuki is called "Prince" by his fangirls.
- Himeno Sayuri is a beautiful girl, "the school's princess".
- Nice Guy: Natsukusa and Momoka are Kanoko's "nice friends".
- No Friendship Skills: Kanoko worries a lot about this. What is normal and what is not in her friendship with Tsubaki, Momoka and Natsukusa.
- Not So Different: Jouran Hijiri thinks he has this kind of dynamic with Tsubaki, but that's only because he attributes Naedoko's actions to him. According to Hijiri's Childhood Friend Sayuri, they're actually complete opposites.
- Oblivious to Love: Kanoko, Kanoko and Kanoko... She can't even process the posibility of Tsubaki having feelings for her...
- She even mistakes Otabe's obvious obsession with her (she fulfills his fetishes to a "T") as him figuring out her real role in the Newspaper Club and trying to freak her out to put her off-balance.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Momoka and Kanoko eventually. Since both of them never had REAL friends before, their friendship is quite cute and amusing.
- It's occasionally ventured into the Ho Yay territory. Even Tsubaki gets insecure over their friendship, and thinks to himself,"Good thing Hanai isn't a guy...I'm saved." THIS after Momo's very suggestive line about, well, wanting to become a guy. One can't help but draw conclusions as to why after reading her next exchange.
Kanoko: (referring to Tsubaki's affection) If you want something, you have to fight for it, get it?!
Momoka: ...If...I were a guy, I'd surely fight...
Momoka: (smiles in exasperation and then takes Kanoko's hands) There's someone I like better than Tsubaki-kun, this one is true!
- Shipper on Deck: Yumemi is a proper Kanoko x Tsubaki fangirl U__U
- Strong Family Resemblance:
- Momo's little brother is like a male version of her.
- Natsukusa's siblings look a lot like him too.
- The Yabuki siblings, they could easily be mistaken as twins.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Tsubaki
- Teacher/Student Romance: While Marine was honestly in love with him, the teacher not so much.
- Kisen gains a crush for the female teacher. In an omake, he gets jealous when Subeyoshi goes to her for advice.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Momoka and Kanoko
- Why Do You Keep Changing Schools?: Kanoko's dad gets relocated constantly at his job.