Manga: The Secret Notes Of Lady Kanoko
"The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko" (Warau Kanoko-Sama)
tells the story of Kanoko Naedoko and her episodic misadventures.
Kanoko Naedoko constantly changes schools but she never makes friends and doesn't get along with people very well... which is more than okay with her... as she considers herself a perfect observer
Her hobby is observing the students in all of the different schools she is transferred to, indeed her notes are journals of the most colorful classroom drama
But what will happen when Kanoko becomes involved with Tsubaki Haru
, Momoka Hanai
and Natsukusa Touta
, her classmates at her 99th
school? Will she become more than just an observer this time?
It also has a sequel named "Koi Dano Ai Dano"
, which features Kanoko and her friends in high-school. Kanoko has entered Takara no Tani High School with Tsubaki. It has since spawned a collection of side-stories, titled Koi Nashi Ai Nashi
For some reason, she becomes the “Strategist” for Cultural Affairs Department in reference to the Three Kingdoms and ends up joining the Newspaper Club….?!
And so join our heroine in her brilliant
This manga provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Otabe towards Kanoko, she is not amused.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Poor, poor Tsubaki.
- Alpha Bitch: Marine Suitenguu, who hides under a nice girl faÇade.
- Always Identical Twins: The Nekota Twins.
- Ambiguously Gay: Esupa Raidou.
- Art Evolution: The sequel series has notably better art than the original.
- Ascended Extra: Yumemi who only appeared once in the prequel becomes a classmate of Kanoko and Tsubaki.
- Beautiful All Along: Kanoko. She is actually decent looking, but she really doesn't think of herself as attractive. Several people, especially Momoko, have noticed that it is really holding her back.
- Big Man on Campus: Haru Tsubaki. Be it middle-school or high-school! He is instantly popular.
- Hijiri Jouran counts too!.
- Bishounen: Natsukusa Touta, Tsubaki Haru, Ouji Mitsuki, Jouran Hijiri, Yabuki You, etc!
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Tsubaki. He never studies yet manages to get in the top test ranks, and hates doing anything bothersome.
- Childhood Friends:
- Jouran Hijiri and Himeno Sayuri
- Shinonome Kyoko and Shingoijo Yukari.
- Clingy Jealous Guy: Tsubaki and Naedoko have a platonic relationship. It doesn't stop Tsubaki from acting like a wild dog with a bone to people or situations who/which take Naedoko away from him, however temporary. Momoi calls him out on this as delicately as she can.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Yumemi, to an amazing degree. There doesn't seem to be a single waking moment of her life where she isn't getting swept up in (usually very strange and nonsensical) romantic delusions about what's going on around her.
- Deadpan Snarker: Much of the humor in the series comes from Naedoko dishing out some delicious snark.
- Tsubaki Haru has some pretty good lines too, usually at Naedoko's expense.
- The Ditz: Momoka
- Dogged Nice Guy:
- Natsukusa Touta towards Hanai Momoka.
- Ouji Mitsuki towards Himeno Sayuri.
- Okyou-senpai for the Leader of the Newspaper Club.
- Dumb Blonde: Momoka... She lives taking suplementary lessons and make-up exams.
- The Fake Cutie: What most cute girls are.
- Friendless Background: Several characters.
- Girl/Guy of The Week: Often in the prequel, as Kanoko changed schools every new chapter.
- For Science! / It Amused Me: Kanoko's justification as to why she likes observing people.
- Genki Girl: What Kanoko wants to be. Fails hilariously because she can't be anything except a Deadpan Snarker.
- Genre Savvy: Kanoko, due to her life as an observer, is very familiar with all the typical school setting tropes, except when they involve her.
- Good Is Not Nice: Kanoko and Tsubaki.
- Hero-Worshipper: The Nekota twins simply adore Jouran!
- In Love with Love: Yumemi, big time.
- In-Series Nickname:
- Momoka calls her Kano-chan and Kanoko returns the favor with calling her Momo-chan.
- "Nina" for Ninagawa Mayumi.
- "Prince" for Ouji Mitsuki.
- Hitoyoshi-senpai, the president of the Newspaper Club is always called Leader.
- Shinonome Kyouko really wants to be called Okyou-senpai
- Otabe and his Kano-tan... She is clearly not happy about that one.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: While never outright stated, you can see that part of Kanoko's friendless background comes from this.
- It's All About Me: Ninagawa Mayumi, Aida Mitsue and Suo Naruichi.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Kanoko and Tsubaki
- Kawaiiko: Mayumi a.k.a Nina, Nami and Mitsue.
- The Klutz: Kyoko, a.k.a Okyou-senpai.
- Lady Killer In Love: Tsubaki for Kanoko, Natsukusa for Momoka and Ouji for Sayuri.
- Last Name Basis:
- It is Tsubaki and Naedoko.
- Natsukusa's name "Touta", is easily forgotten if you don't pay attention
- Legal Jail Bait: What Otabe is into, though he is acused of being a Lolicon anyway.
- Manipulative Bastard: Kanoko, though subverted that it's not usually malicious. However, she does love getting nasty letters from jealous girls in her shoebox because she considers them good blackmail material.
- Meganekko: Kanoko, Sachiko (pre-make over) and Yukari.
- Meaningful Name: the author loves them!
Sachiko (kinoko=mushroom) who is a gloomy girl.
Nami, a cute(kawaii) girl.
Takeo, who is "good at everything as his name sujests"
Hitomi, a girl who loves to fantasize/dream. (Yumemi
=dream seer + Hitomi
Raidou, who claims he can see spirits(Esper
), and Oka Ruto
who loves the Occult
, ghost stories, U.F.Os and such.
Mitsuki is called "Prince" by his fangirls.
Sayuri is a beautiful girl, "the school's princess
- Nice Guy: Natsukusa and Momoka are Kanoko's "nice friends".
- Yamada, one of Kanoko and Tsubaki's middle school classmates, fits this trope too.
- No Friendship Skills: Kanoko worries a lot about this. What is normal and what is not in her friendship with Tsubaki, Momoka and Natsukusa.
- Not So Different: Jouran Hijiri thinks he has this kind of dynamic with Tsubaki, but that's only because he attributes Naedoko's actions to him. According to Hijiri's Childhood Friend Sayuri, they're actually complete opposites.
- In fact Sayuri and Tsubaki fit this trope better.
- Oblivious to Love: Kanoko, Kanoko and Kanoko... She can't even process the posibility of Tsubaki having feelings for her...
- She even mistakes Otabe's obvious obsession with her (she fulfills his fetishes to a "T") as him figuring out her real role in the Newspaper Club and trying to freak her out to put her off-balance.
- Momoka isn't aware of the fact that Natsukusa likes her.
- Hijiri fails to realise that Sayuri likes him romantically... In fact he starts to think that maybe she is interesed in Tsubaki.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Kanoko in the sequel, pretends to be a normal member of the News Paper Club... instead of the strategist she indeed is!.
- The wrong people still discover her scheming ways eventually anyway.
- Oh Crap:
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Tsubaki is the blue to Natsukusa's red, but he's the red to Yakubi's blue.
- Relationship Upgrade: Hijiri and Himeno in chapter 27.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Momoka and Kanoko eventually. Since both of them never had REAL friends before, their friendship is quite cute and amusing.
- It's occasionally ventured into the Ho Yay territory. Even Tsubaki gets insecure over their friendship, and thinks to himself,"Good thing Hanai isn't a guy...I'm saved." THIS after Momo's very suggestive line about, well, wanting to become a guy. One can't help but draw conclusions as to why after reading her next exchange.
Kanoko: (referring to Tsubaki's affection) If you want something, you have to fight for it, get it?!
Momoka: ...If...I were a guy, I'd surely fight...
Momoka: (smiles in exasperation and then takes Kanoko's hands) There's someone I like better than Tsubaki-kun, this one is true!
- Shipper on Deck: Yumemi is a proper Kanoko x Tsubaki fangirl!!
- Yamada ships Natsukusa and Momoka.
- Strong Family Resemblance:
- Momo's little brother, Ume, is like a male version of her.
- Natsukusa's siblings look a lot like him too.
- The Yabuki siblings, they could easily be mistaken for twins.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Haru Tsubaki
- Teacher/Student Romance: While Marine was honestly in love with him, the teacher not so much.
- Kisen gains a crush for the female teacher. In an omake, he gets jealous when Subeyoshi goes to her for advice.
- The Stoic: Yabuki You, the presedint of the Student Council.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Momoka and Kanoko
- Too Clever by Half: Kanoko falls into this sometimes. She's brilliant at playing the Magnificent Bastard, but can't seem to turn it off sometimes, so she ends up overanalyzing behavior or trying to find ulterior motives when there are none. Perfect example: Kanoko stays in the Newspaper Club because she's trying to find out what possible motive Tsubaki could have for sticking around there as well, when he's simply there because he wants to be around her.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend:
- Why Do You Keep Changing Schools?: Kanoko's dad gets relocated constantly at his job.