Titles of the definite-article + gerund format, i.e. "The [verb]ing".
The use of this format for titling Horror Films
is sometimes parodied, and is usually a good indicator that the film is very definitely a B-Grade one
. It's also a very easy way to give your sequel a memorable subtitle
Compare Verbing Nouny
. See also Stock Subtitle
and Magic Ampersand
- An in-universe example occurs on iCarly: Carly, Sam and Freddy help some friends make a trailer for a movie called... The Blowing.
- The Killing
- Ruthlessly parodied in season 3 of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, with such episode titles as "The Shaving", "The Cubing", and of course, "The The".
- The Simpsons
- Also parodied when it is mentioned that Lenny had a bit part in a movie called "The Redeadening".
- The episode "Wild Barts Can't Be Broken" involves the kids wanting to see a movie called "The Bloodening" (a parody of Village of the Damned).
- Invader Zim: episode title "The Wettening".
- Futurama: episode title "The Honking".