Another anthropomorphic novel series by acclaimed author Kyell Gold
, set in a modern day world with just a twist of the fantastic.
Books in this series are:
- Green Fairy (March 2012)
- Red Devil (February 2014)
- Black Angel (TBA)
Green Fairy focuses on Sol, a wolf who's just trying to make it out of high school in one piece so he can move to the big city with his best friend Meg and live with his internet boyfriend. One book report and a bit of absinthe later and Sol starts dreaming the life of a gay fox named Nikolai (Niki) who worked as a cabaret dancer at the famed Moulin Rouge in late 19th century Paris. When the dreams seep into his waking life, Sol adds "going crazy" to his worries, and the problems of a couple that lived a hundred years ago to the ever-growing list of his own.
Red Devil in set several months after the events of Green Fairy and focuses on Sol's friend Alexei, who was introduced in Green Fairy. Alexei is having his own problems, among which are the impending expiration of his student visa and his sister back home in Siberia. Seeking the same guidance that Niki provided Sol, Alexei tries to contact Niki's spirit but winds up in contact with an entirely different spirit, a fox soldier by the name of Konstantine.
- Always Someone Better: Sol's primary dilemma, as his place as starter on the baseball team is taken by someone else.
- Anti-Villain: Konstantine is highly antagonistic towards Alexei, but he's treated sympathetically, as Alexei comes to believe that he was lonely and too bitter about his own past to have a clear view of the situation.
- Attempted Rape: Carcy, Sol's internet boyfriend tries to pressure him into sex when they finally meet in person. Niki stops him.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Niki's father receives a vague reference in passing in Green Fairy. Turns out it's Konstantine.
- Deadpan Snarker: Meg never wastes an opportunity to snark about anything and everything.
- Driven to Suicide: Niki's friend Henri Trounoir hanged himself after a fight with Niki, believing that Niki was abandoning him.
- Flat Earth Atheist: Meg maintains her position on the reality (or lack thereof) of Sol and Alexei's spiritual encounters, even after witnessing it first-hand.
- Goth: Meg
- Green Eyes: Niki's eyes are noted to be an extremely vivid green, reflecting his exoticness and the fact that he's a spirit. Sol's eyes change to the same color at the end of the book.
- Historical-Domain Character: Konstantine knew Nicholas II and spoke with him several times.
- Honor Before Reason: Konstantine falls just short of considering any criticism against the Tsar to be nothing less than outright treason, and breaks several friendships by reporting them to his superiors when his compatriots comment that the Tsar, while a great man, does not have a God-given right to rule.
- Interrupted Suicide: Sol briefly considers suicide, though he never actually attempts it. Niki stops him either way.
- Jerk Ass:
- Jean, who cements his jerkassery by not only killing Niki, but taking credit for Henri's painting.
- When Alexei is being influenced by Konstantine, he acts this way, intentionally showing up Kendall and making snide comments.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Sol dreaming about Niki's experiences is subject to much deliberation on Sol's part, who isn't sure whether he's really been contacted by the spirit of a dead fox or if he's just having incredibly realistic absinthe hallucinations. Turns out it's all too real.
- Oedipus Complex: Konstantine's conflict with his son had a significant impact on him and greatly colors his interactions with Alexei.
- Old Soldier: Konstantine was a guard for Tsar Alexander III, is fairly grizzled, highly cynical and even has a Rugged Scar.
- Silly Rabbit, Romance Is for Kids!: Owing to the death of his wife, Konstantine does not have a very positive opinion on love, considering it to be for dreamers.
- Starving Artist: Henri.
- Undying Loyalty: Konstantine retains his loyalty to the Tsars even a hundred years after his death during the Revolution.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Niki dresses as a vixen so that he can dance at the Moulin Rouge.