Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious
A subtrope of Weirdness Magnet
and Horror Hunger
; it turns out that someone is literally
delicious. Either their blood is, or their Life Energy
is far more appealing than most people. Vampires
are going be lining up the block, demons
give the boutique two clawed thumbs up, and The Heartless
are going to come out of the woodwork. Needless to say, this is going to complicate someone's life considerably. It can also be a danger to everyone else if this acts as a Rare Candy
and powers the monster up considerably.
Occasionally, it's the very act of having powers to combat these forces that attracts them
, because Magic Is a Monster Magnet
. If this person doesn't have any powers to speak of, anyone who has them as their Protectorate
had better be prepared for a lot
A variant of this is simply that supernatural beings find this literally pleasant to be around. They're not so much wanting to eat
them as... er... "eat
" them. Or at least bask in the scent or energies and make their life complicated. Often it's a little of column A and a little of column B.
Do not confuse with Magically Delicious
, which is about commercial advertisements.
May be inverted by Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth
, also compare with Cannibalism Superpower
, To Serve Man
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Bleach, the more powerful you are, the more tasty you are to Hollows. This is more of a concern for people who have just enough power to say I See Dead People, but can't fight them.
- The Virus in Venus Versus Virus especially wanted to eat people who could sense them, such as the main characters. This put a lot of stress on the new girl; which would shift her into her Anti-Virus Super-Powered Evil Side; who would usually easily trounce this. But then she would find her partner "smells absolutely irresistible" and try to....taste her until her normal personality kicked back in. Not played for laughs.
- Kouta from Kanokon is the supernatural Chick Magnet version. He smells particularly pleasing to spirits... but rather than putting his life in jeopardy, it results in him aquiring an Unwanted Harem consisting of a powerful fox-spirit, and a slightly-less-powerful wolf-spirit. (As well as drawing 'attention' from a number of other, more-or-less superpowered spirits.) Of course, their warring for his attention DOES occasionally put him in a bad place...
- In Mnemosyne, the longer an immortal lives and the more painful memories she has, the tastier her time spore is to Eipos.
- The female lead of Vampire Knight.
- xxxHOLiC: Watanuki's subconscious angst made him especially tasty to spirits, causing more angst, in some sort of demonically delicious loop.
- Flea-demon Myoga from InuYasha once mentioned that Inuyasha's father's blood was 'especially delicious', and that Inuyasha had inherited that from him. Different from the other examples in that Myoga is a demon, but not a villain; in fact, he is quite loyal to Inuyasha. The fact that Myoga is only slightly larger than a mundane flea may have something to do with it, of course—as it is, he drains harmlessly small amounts of blood from his "victims", who are annoyed more than anything else.
- Evangeline in Mahou Sensei Negima! indicates at first that Negi's blood, being the son of the Mage who imprisoned her, would grant her the power to escape her bonds. She started off apparently as the homicidal version of this trope, but after her Defeat Means Friendship, started training him with Black Magic. Her price for the training is some regular Kiss of the Vampire, and she's getting away with it.
- Hell Teacher Nube ended up with a Red Right Hand because his latent spiritual powers caused him to be a target for demons (who wanted to eat him) and ghosts (who wanted help from someone who could interact with them).
- Hayate the Combat Butler: Hayate has delicious supernatural blood. It's part of the His Life Sucks package. In fact, his blood when he's half-dying is one of the most mystically infused substances in the world; and can completely power up Isumi or her great-grandmother. The latter has no problem with snacking on him, while the former tends to abstain, but once when Nagi was in danger, she tasted just a little and that gave her enough power to both break a Power Limiter curse that was on her and use her magic powers to teleport Hayate onto a spaceship in freaking Outer Space.
- in Wild Arms Twilight Venom, Mirabelle (a Crimson Noble) gets a small taste of Sheyenne's blood and flips out, wanting some more.
- The man-eating youkai of Natsume Yuujinchou often comment on how delicious Natsume smells because of the strength of his power.
- Aisa Himegami from A Certain Magical Index at least smells delicious to vampires...however, they are destroyed by actually trying to drink her blood.
- Helpless heroine Misao from Black Bird: “If a demon drinks her blood, he is granted a long life. If he eats her flesh, he gains eternal youth. And if he makes her his bride, his clan will prosper…” So she's constantly at risk from demons who want a bite. Or a marriage contact. Or both...
- Tsukune from Rosario + Vampire. Moka frequently says his blood is "very sweet".
- The main character in Ookamikakushi has this problem.
- Ciel of Black Butler.
- From Tsukuyomi Moon Phase we have Kouhei: He is the so-called "Vampire's Lover". What this means is his blood, besides being literally delicious for vampires, has the power to undo the psychic oaths of obedience they have towards their masters. That's how Hazuki was able to leave the castle prison she was in at the beginning, and how Elfriede is able to deceive and betray Count Kinkel, her master.
- Berserk: The Brand of Sacrifice makes its bearer closer to the supernatural than normal, and is placed on people sacrificed to the Godhand so that the bearer of a Behelit can become a demon. In the unlikely event that a branded person escapes this fate, spirits will be drawn to them every night and try to eat them. As a side effect the bearer can sense the presence of spirits and ignores anti-Muggle wards.
- The Karasumori site of Kekkaishi has a Cherry tree that blooms out of season, said to excite the feelings of all around. This makes it a powerful Ayakashi magnet.
- Ginko of Mushishi is constantly attracting mushi which threaten to devour him if he stays in a particular place for too long. It's outright stated in the show that, eventually, they will catch up with him and eat him alive.
- Darklings from The Darkness give this reason for following Jackie.
- In Survival of the Fallen, an X-Men (films)/True Blood/POTC/Van Helsing and whatever else crossover, Logan's(Wolverine) blood tastes very strong to Vampires and heals them at an absolutely ridiculous rate. This is because he is among other things one of the nephilim and the son of Gabriel Van Helsing, i.e. the Archangel Gabriel.
- In the Supernatural/Twilight crossover The Wedding Crashers, Leah takes Sam and Dean to Renesmee and Jacob's wedding, where about eighty percent of the guests are vampires. A lot of them then go out of their way to tell Dean that he smells really, really good, including the ones who don't eat humans. Castiel theorises that this is due to Dean being Michael's True Vessel, the "most unique and powerful vessel on the planet". Dean's not exactly thrilled.
- Superwomen Of Eva Treacherous Web: After Spider-Woman Ritsuko Akagi swallows the ADAM embryo after ripping it off Gendo Ikari's corpse in an attempt to draw his plan Off the Rails, various problematic side-effects occur; the biggest of which is that she is now a living beacon for the Angels, and they now chase after her to absorb her and the ADAM embryo within her stomach. There is also the fact that this beacon effect disappears when she is not in "Spider-Woman" mode, but events prevent her from staying off that mode permanently.
- Xuanzang of Journey to the West is this because his virgin flesh is supposed to grant immortality to demons as it is the flesh of a holy man. This is a Trope Codifier in regard to Eastern literatures.
- Bella of Twilight evidently smells particularly appealing to vampires, and her love interest in particular. This is a bit of a problem, because Vampre Bites Suck in this series and said love interest is very serious about being a Vegetarian Vampire as a result. It really does suck to be Edward Cullen, doesn't it?
- Anita Blake.
- In The Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries, faeries are practically Scooby Snacks to vampires, to the point they act like dogs in a butcher shop when in the presence of one. (Sookie herself is less than pleased when she finds out her own fairy heritage is the reason she's so attractive to supernaturals.) It doesn't seem to work the same way for her relatives, though.
- In Amelia Atwater-Rhodes' vampire novels, witches' blood is especially delicious.
- The fallen star, Yvaine, in Neil Gaiman's Stardust is endangered thanks to her heart being the key to longevity and magical powers, and attracting the attention of the Lilim. Whether heart-of-star is particularly tasty is clarified in neither film nor book.
- While no supernatural reason is given for it, Captain Hook of Peter Pan fame is apparently pretty tasty. After Peter chops his hand off, it's tossed into the mouth of a nearby crocodile who finds it so delicious it now follows Hook wherever he goes, licking his lips for the rest of him.
- Skip, protagonist of I Hate Dragons, has the supernatural power of smelling so delicious to dragons that they go crazy with the desire to eat him.
Live Action TV
- On True Blood, fairy blood is unusually tasty for vampires, as well as allowing them to walk in the sun for limited periods.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Slayer blood is often implied to be better tasting to vampires than normal humans, as well as an aphrodisiac for them. It was Slayer blood that allowed The Master to break his seal at the end of the first season. Slayer blood later healed Angel in season 3.
- After doing a Mind Rape on Tara, Glory is noticeably giddy and talks of how great that witch's mind tasted.
- In Angel Marcus Hamilton makes the mistake of telling Angel that great powers flow through his veins while making a Badass Boast. Also, otters' blood is delicious.
- In Ghost Whisperer, Melinda is usually chased by ghosts in need of help (whether they want it or not), but there is the occasional guy who collects souls to gain power, and they tend to target her. Her occultist teacher friend told her that "If a dark spirit collects the soul of a light spirit, it's like a hundred points!".
- Supernatural's Season 7 had the year's Big Bad's followers creating food additives that would make any human eating them become tastier, bulkier, more complacent and lethal to any anthropophagous beasties other than his own kind.
- Dean seems to make every vampire he interacts with, even the ones who stick to animals, get a little ...hungry. It's been stated several times by angels and demons alike that he's the 'perfect vessel' probably due to him being the human host of Archangel Michael.
- In My Babysitter's a Vampire, Ethan has a rare blood type that vampires consider a delicacy.
- The World of Darkness settings:
- In both Vampire: The Masquerade and Vampire: The Requiem it's stated that other vampire blood is tastier to vampires than even human blood. But it's a Forbidden Fruit with its own dangers.
- Old World of Darkness:
- In Changeling The Dreaming, changelings especially enjoy artistic people. This comes in both "Wants to be around them" and "Wants to Mind Rape them" forms. And changelings taste especially good to vampires, as well as providing a drug high.
- Hunter The Reckoning has a rule about mortals with more powerful blood than usual. The obvious disadvantage isn't worth the points you get.
- New World of Darkness:
- In Vampire: The Requiem, werewolf blood is especially nutritious to vampires, effectively delivering twice as much juice as human blood... but a) it stirs up the Beast and b) you have to deal with a werewolf to get it.
- The New World of Darkness has Merits and Minor Templates (think almost, but not quite, supernatural) for mortals that are essentially Weirdness Magnets. Any merit that allows the mortal to see ghosts or spirits usually has the downside that, even if they aren't immediately drawn to you, both such creatures will notice being noticed and at the least pester you and at worst try to possess you.
- Werewolf: The Forsaken allows the Uratha to regain Essence by eating the flesh of humans, wolves, or werewolves. However, as all three are extremely akin to them, that counts as cannibalism, meaning they need to make a Harmony check.
- Exalted has the Abyssal Exalted who, as creatures of death, have difficulties recovering Essence while outside of the Underworld. One way around this is to pop fangs and drain the Essence out of people in the form of blood. Needless to say, enlightened Essence users (such as other Exalted) yield much more return than plain old mortals.
- Hermits in Touhou act as free level-ups for youkai that eat them, at least according to Perfect Memento in Strict Sense. (See Journey to the West, above.)
- The main character of Akai Ito comes from an ancient lineage of these people. Since the other characters are Lesbian Vampires in one way or another, this trait of hers really drives the story.
- As a rule of thumb, be very distrustful of anyone handling any variant of this in the Shin Megami Tensei multiverse. There are many such elixirs, all with one thing in common: the basic recipe involves either sacrificing bits of your mind and soul, or ripping them out from someone.
- Josie Gillman from the Whateley Universe was turned into a girl to protect her from a family curse which grants some males of the Gillman line savant Level abilities in non-euclidian geometry and "exceptional tastiness" to a Cosmic Horror, inevitably leading them to dabble in things humankind was not meant to know, fall through the cracks in our reality, and wander the dark interstices underlying the universe until they arrive at their inevitable, hideous doom. In short, male Gillmans are the Eldritch Abomination equivalent of delivery pizza.
- In Gargoyles, the Archmage is told by his future self that he must bring the Grimoirum Arcanamorum to Avalon in order to further his conquest of the sacred island. When the younger Archmage asks, "What am I supposed to do, eat it?" the older Archmage answers, "You're catching on." He literally ate the Grimoirum, and its powers became a part of him. This also allows him to slip through a loophole in ancient rules that normally prevent the Grimoirum from entering Avalon in the first place. Backfires big time when Goliath removes the Eye of Odin from his head. Without the Eye, the Archmage could no longer control the Grimorum's magic, so the Archmage and the Grimorum were destroyed forever.
- In All-Star Superman, Clark Kent's enormous power allows the villain Parasite to absorb enough ambient energy to escape his cell. Clark spends the next several minutes being chased through the prison, while having to keep Lex Luthor from realizing that he is really Superman and find a way to defeat Parasite.
- The once highly endangered giant Galapagos tortoise is said to be the most tasty and delicious animal on earth. After being discovered it took over 300 years to get one to Europe for classification, because every time some were collected, they all ended up being eaten before the ship made the journey back. Charles Darwin was a member of a club that had the sole purpose of eating rare and unusual animals. When he described the tortoise as the most delicious thing he had ever eaten, other sailors also had to try it out any time a ship collected one, and they subsequently ate all of them.
- That's a bit of an exaggeration, the real reason they were so popular as food on ships was because they were such durable animals that they could be stored upside down, still alive, in the ship's hold with no food or water for a month. This meant that they could serve as a source of fresh meat longer than any other method available at the time.
- Some people are naturally more attractive to mosquitoes and other parasitic organisms than others. Often when two people are walking together in an area with mosquitoes, one person is bit all over while the other is not bit at all. If you don't want to catch malaria, be sure to hang around someone who tastes really good.