It felt good to be out of the rain
Sing me your song, O
You stare unblinkingly at me
While your car waits in the freezing rain.
The words just come out wrong.
So I have to say I love you
In a song.
Mundo paparazzi mi amore chicka ferdy parasol
Presto obrigado tanta mucho cake and eat it carousel.*
- An example of the third variety: We Belong, a Ranma 1/2 Song Fic by troper Looney Toons, set around the song of the same name by Pat Benatar. (And written in 1998, before songfics wore out their welcome.)
- More recently, Looney Toons used Meredith Brooks' "Bitch" as the framework around which to lay out some foreshadowing for the Ah! My Goddess story he was writing at the time.
- And in a triple play, justified in Looney Toons' Mega Crossover fic Drunkard's Walk, whose central character has a superpower that turns songs he listens to into other powers.
- An example of the second variety: Captured! The Zutara Musical! is a songfic from Avatar: The Last Airbender fandom that uses various Aimee Mann songs in a dedication to a certain ship.
- Fan Fic writers shoehorned the Train song "Meet Virginia" into countless Harry Potter fanfics involving Ginny Weasley.
- During the height of both their popularity, Savage Garden songs were common in Gundam Wing fanfiction, particularly the song "Crash and Burn".
- There is an AU InuYasha fanfiction where the chapter that dealt with Kagome's Freak Out of Unstoppable Rage of unreal proportions had alternate paragraphs dedicated to the Evanescence song "Bring Me To Life," because the author just couldn't believe how appropriate the song was to her story.
- A Fuku Fic challenge generator had "turn on the radio and copy down the song currently being played" as one of the randomly chosen options for how to start your fic.
- Not quite fanfic, but a certain type of freeform text roleplayer will do this with every single post, as they believe it's creative and provides atmosphere
- This fic demonstrates both the 'character singing' types as well as the 'interspersed italics' version.
- Embryonic Eclipse is an anti-dub Anti-Sue Sailor Moon fanfic written to rectify a complaint the author had with another fic: a Dark Fic entitled "The Dark Side Of The Moon", which contained no other references to Pink Floyd. This fic makes up for it with large amounts of references to the band, quoting a song in its entirety, and naming all the chapters after the album's tracklist.
- Played with in Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid. It has dialogues between each chapter that are named after musical works by J. S. Bach. There was at least one where the characters were listening to, and talking about, the piece the dialogue was based on.
- Invoked in Those Lacking Spines:
Xuxastell lifted the pen from the paper and regarded her poem with a discerning eye, quite proud of the misery she had evoked in it until she realized that it was actually the chorus of the song "Angels" by Within Temptation, currently playing on loop on her iPod.
- The song Closer by Nine Inch Nails is a frequent choice for Lemon fics because of the lyrics. Specifically, the "I Wanna Fuck You Like An Animal" portion of the lyrics. However, this is Misaimed Fandom since Closer is meant to be about a self-loather using sex as an escape, a way he can delude himself into thinking he's somebody else.
- Of course, the actual meaning of Closer can be useful for writing Angst. Take, for instance, this (Not Safe for Work) X-Men Slash Fic. So yes, not all uses of Closer in a Song Fic are Misaimed Fandom.
- "Closer" and Julia Eklar's "Terminus Est" have both been used in Knights of the Old Republic fanfics for Atton Rand in regards to the Jedi woman he tortured, and later mercy-killed.
- There is a rather elegant Cardcaptor Sakura version of this in The Universe is Resting in My Arms. The lyrics flow almost seamlessly into the story.
- Not exactly a fanfic... or a song, for that matter, but Richard Corben & Rich Margopoulos' Haunt Of Horror has several stories where the panels are juxtaposed with poetry from Edgar Allan Poe or HP Lovecraft. One particularly amusing example would be Poe's Israfel on a story about a Gangsta Rap beef.
- The Phoenix Wright / Elite Beat Agents crossover To Each A Tempo has at least three Song Fic chapters, which makes sense, as they're set during EBA missions. The fic also slips other song lyrics into the dialogue at several points, such as when the Judge very briefly Rick Rolls the court.
- A comedic use of Song Fic was Bruinhilda's "I'm Too Sexy." The song in question is blasting over the music system of what turns out to be exactly the wrong kind of establishment...
- Song Fics are obviously popular in franchises based on musicals, such as Wicked:
- The My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic Crimps and Prance climaxes in a scene where Cheerilee goes to a nightclub with some friends, and dances to Echoing Green's version of "The Safety Dance".
- Another Friendship is Magic fanfic, the infamous Rainbow Factory, intersperses the lyrics of the WoodenToaster song 'Rainbow Factory' throughout the story. But it works here, since the fic is actually inspired by the song itself, which was about how the weather factory in Cloudsdale had some dark ominous secret behind how it makes rainbows. But where the song was very vague about exactly what goes on at the titular factory, instead saying that it's simply "Where your fears and horrors come true" and "Not a single soul gets through", the fic explains exactly what the Rainbow Factory's dark secret is, in all its gory detail.
- Pinkie Pie breaks into song in numerous otherwise lyricless fics - just like she does in canon.
- In the Merlin fanfic OHMYGODIMONFIRE, the author makes fun of songfics by writing several oneshots set to ridiculous music, such as the song in the title. As the author says in the Author's Note:
"You know what irritates me? Songfics. No offense to those of you who write them..."
- Glee, being a show about a high school show-choir, is practically made for Song Fic of the performing version. The quality varies.
- Chapter 9 of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality contains a spoof of the Ghostbusters theme. Chapter 10 contains an apology for chapter 9.
It honestly didn't occur to me - although it seems obvious in retrospect - that many readers would have massively bad associations to songs in fanfics. All I can do is apologize and promise not to do it again. I'm afraid, however, that since this chapter was already written, you will have to sit through the Sorting Hat singing its version of Evanescence's "My Immortal", which has never happened before.
- The Death Note fic A Cure for Love is set to the discography of The Smiths. Each chapter begins with an italic block of lyrics that are a thematic to the chapter and the titles of each chapter are named after songs titles.
- Script Fic Calvin and Hobbes: The Series sometimes does this, often over a montage.
- A curious example is the Death Note fic Requiem by firelordzuko, which is at a songfic based on the Greek and Latin lyrics of the traditional Catholic Mass for the Dead (or Requiem Mass). The music is the Requiem in d-minor by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The plot follows Near at L's funeral, where Mozart's Requiem is performed.
- Not quite a fanfic, but there doesn't seem to be any other way to classify it - 24: The Musical is a fan-made musical version of 24 released as MP3s to the Internet, along with a music video version of one of the songs
- The Deconstructive Parody, "The Conversion Bureau: Metal Ripper" has the lyrics of Sabaton's Primo Victoria complete with Youtube links at the end where the group defeats Celestia.
- Less obvious are the links to Youtube of the respective songs whenever a spell is cast using a lyric taken straight from the music in question.
- Total Drama Island, by Gilbert and Sullivan takes the song fic concept to reality warping levels. Instead of just one song, it’s over 70 percent of the total verse content from a whole series of 14 light operas. The thousands upon thousands of lines of Gilbert and Sullivan lyrics are collected in a separate section with a cross-referencing system that allows the reader to quickly jump back and forth between the text and the lyrics. The overall effect is to turn the canon story arc of Total Drama Island into a comic opera.
- While not a fanfic per say(though it was originally a World of Warcraft parody)Looking for Group periodically has character periodically break into song, such as Richard singing Never gonna give you up by Rick Astley 144.
- The Monsters, Inc. fanfic Angelas Pet Monster. Moreso in the later installments.
- The MLP Alternate Universe known as The Cadanceverse is nothing but Songfics; including a ponified version of Carmen replacing A Bird in the Hoof.
- An enforced subversion comes in The Fanmake Blooper Series's first installment: Sleeping Blooper, in which a businessman actually stops Facilier from singing his Villain Song, as the terms and conditions of Fanfiction.net bans song fics.
- In The Rise of FireClan, the kitten protagonist sings Slipping while killing Snake and Ice. How he even knows what "cavemen" or "lemmings" are is never explained.