Fanfic / Angelas Pet Monster
A series of Monsters Inc
fanfictions by DarkraixCresselia
Plot synopsis: After being banished to the human world, Randall is mistaken for a lizard/dog hybrid and adopted by a girl named Angela. After playing along, he eventually grows to love his new owner
before making a Heel–Face Turn
.Angela's Pet Monster
and its two sequels
and three spinoffstories note
The sequels mostly follow Randall and his Saluki girlfriend
named Lucille, plus his evil ex-girlfriend Sylvia Schneider
as she teams up with Waternoose to get revenge on him.
Angela's Pet Monster contains examples of:
- All Animals Are Dogs:
- Justified in Randall's case. All of the humans (except for Angela and Angelica, after they learn what Randall really is) believe him to be a lizard/dog hybrid, so he has to behave like a dog to pass as one.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Angela is often made fun of at school due to her love of reptiles.
- The Winged Wolf is a Show Within a Show example. The main protagonist is a wolf without wings, and thus is an outcast.
- Alpha Bitch: Mandy Shay. See Kids Are Cruel below for more context.
- Animal Talk: Monsters can understand dogs, but humans can't.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Felicity to Angela.
- Artificial Human: Angela's boyfriend Edward is revealed to be a robot, working for Sylvia and Waternoose.
- Ax-Crazy: Sylvia. Especially in the third installment.
- Becoming the Mask: At first Randall doesn't care much for Angela, pretending to be a dog so that he can get food and warmth. Over time, he grows to love his new owner, resulting in him making his Heel–Face Turn.
- Big Brother Instinct: Randall behaves like this to Angela. He'll protect her from anyone, from Mandy Shay to Waternoose.
- Big "YES!": In the first installment, Randall gives one after Roz lets him return to the human world.
- Bittersweet Ending: Due to his criminal record, Randall has to stay in Monstropolis and can't live with Angela ever again. However, Roz later lets him stay with his new owner after he saves Angela from the bullies.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Sylvia is mentioned as having a "camouflage gland" which is surgically removed after she's arrested for the second time. It's never made clear if Randall has the same gland or not. She gets a new one surgically implanted in the third story.
- Broken Angel: Sylvia after getting declawed, her wings clipped, and her camouflage gland removed.
- Cats Are Mean: Josh's cat Fluffy. He was originally bought for Angela, but he scratched her up so much that he was given to Josh.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Both Lucille and Sylvia fit the bill. Sylvia to truly nightmarish extensions.
- Continuity Nod: Plenty of nods to Monsters Inc.
- Many kids in the story claim that monsters are starting to make them laugh instead of scaring them.
- When Randall fights Waternoose in the first story, he says "You don't know how long I've wanted to do that!" in a similar way he did with Sulley.
- Celia's line that it's impossible to get a reservation at Harryhausen's is referenced.
- Creepy Blue Eyes / Icy Blue Eyes: Sylvia's fit her personality very well..
- Curse Cut Short: Mike when talking about Sylvia.
"You seriously don't believe that b-" Sully glared at Mike. "Buh-buh-big jerk..ette...has changed, do ya?"
- Disney Death:
- Lucille after being attacked by Sylvia. She survives but is half-blind.
- Randall after being attacked by Henkan.
- The Dragon: Sylvia is this to Waternoose.
- Driven to Suicide: At the very beginning, after seeing a rabbit get run over, Randall is considering suicide, due to his starvation.
- Enemy Mine: Randall forms one with Mike and Sulley to rescue Angela from Waternoose.
- Evil Plan: Sylvia seeks revenge.
- Eye Scream:
- Lucille goes blind in one eye after being attacked by Sylvia. Her owner, Mandy, even rejects her for it.
- To a lesser extent, Sylvia Schneider scratches Randall in one eye as the former gets arrested. Randall only gets a few small scars.
- The Faceless: Sylvia Schneider in the first story. All that's mentioned is her Icy Blue Eyes and long nails.
- Family-Unfriendly Violence:
- Sylvia gets into a violent battle with Lucille, result in the latter going blind in one eye.
- Randall's fight with Henkan is equally violent, resulting in horrific scratches and near-death for the former.
- Falling in Love Montage: Randall and Lucille have one, to "Two is Better Than One" by Boys Like Girls ft. Taylor Swift.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- Angela makes an offhand reference to one of her brother's porn magazines in the first story.
- After Randall and Lucille become an Official Couple.
Speedy smirked at his twin. "He didn't deny that Lucy was his girlfriend."
"Yup, he's finally opening up." Swift nodded.
"In more ways than one."
Swift shot his brother a disgusted face. "You are sick, you know? Really sick."
- Angela is about to look up what's wrong with Lucille, and says that if she types in "Why does my female dog have a lack up appetite" or something similar, something scary will pop up.
- Genki Girl: Lucille is excited quite easily.
- Hates Baths: Lucille in the third installment.
- Heel–Face Turn: Randall after Becoming the Mask.
- Hot Skitty-on-Wailord Action: Randall and Lucille have hybrid puppies in the third story.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Henkan believes this after he find out about tigers, rhinos, and elephants being endangered, and after the doctors fail to save Yoshi.
- Interspecies Romance: During the events of the second installment, it was hinted that Randall and Angela would lead to this. Even Sylvia Schneider thought it would. It ultimately wasn't, but it was played straight with Randall and Lucille. They even have puppies.
- It's All My Fault: Randall after he finds Lucille attacked.
- Jerkass: Mandy Shay again. See Kids Are Cruel below for more detail.
- Just Friends: Randall gives this to Lucille at first.
- Kids Are Cruel: Mandy Shay again. First she and the others attack Angela with dodgeballs, then she forces Angela to audition for a play against her will, then she corners Angela into an alleyway and tries to punch her before Randall saves her. She's worse in the second. She completely disowns her dog, Lucille, just because the latter was half-blinded after an attack by Sylvia!
- Love at First Sight: Angela to Edward before it's revealed he's a robot.
- Manly Tears: Randall sheds these after being seperated from Angela.
- Mix-and-Match Critters:
- The humans believe Randall to be a lizard/dog hybrid, and thus call him a "Lizog".
- Played straight with Randall and Lucille's puppies.
- My God, What Have I Done?: This is Henkan's reaction to almost killing Randall.
- Noble Wolf: The Winged Wolf, which features wolves with wings.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Randall notices that Lucille isn't as hungry as she usually is, and that she's starting to tire more easily. This is the first sign she is pregnant.
- Pregnant Badass: Lucille in the third story is able to fight off the equally pregnant Sylvia with little to no trouble.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Lucille pulls this a few times with Randall, with varying degrees of success.
- Savage Wolf: Randall's ex-girlfriend Sylvia Schneider is a wolf-like monster with six legs, wings, and an ability to camouflage like Randall.
- School Play: A plot point in the first story. Angela's school puts on a play of The Winged Wolf.
- Shape Shifter: Randall's cousin, Henkan, in the third installment.
- The first story has a plot similar to Lilo & Stitch.
- The Book Within a Fanfiction The Winged Wolf has a plot similar to The Prince of Egypt, complete with a song titled "Let My Family (People) Go".
- An episode of Seinfeld is referenced when Mike "runs like a girl" and Sulley remarks "You gotta run like a man! Keep your knees up!"
- At the end of the first installment, Randall defends Angela from Mandy and her gang similar to in The Karate Kid remake.
- When Sylvia gives Angela the monster disguise, she calls it "The Lizard Mask-inator". She says that she got the "inator" part from "[[Phineas and Ferb some kid's show".
- When Randall is trying to warn Angela about Edward she [[covers her ears and sings "The Star Spangled Banner" as a reference to a Calvin And Hobbes comic.
- When Randall and Lucille are playing, the latter does the "Pinned'ja" joke from The Lion King.
- One of Lucille's pups is unconscious at birth, but they manage to revive it in a similar way to 101 Dalmatians.
- Show Within a Show: The Winged Wolf book and its sequel, which Angela's school makes a play out of.
- Also, Angela has a DVD of The Winged Wolf 2, showing that there was a film adaptation In-Universe of both books.
- Soap Opera Disease: It's never revealed what Yoshi was dying from.
- Song Fic: Mostly romantic ballads and an occasional Villain Song. Moreso in the later stories.
- Stalker with a Crush: Lucille, initially, before Randall gets used to her. Even more so, Sylvia.
- Take Our Word for It: We never find out exactly where Henkan got that camouflage gland.
- Those Two Guys: Swift and Speedy, two purple meerkat-like monsters.
- Tracking Device: Randall uses this to help track down Angela after she is attacked by Mandy and the other bullies.
- Tranquilizer Dart: Randall is shot with one by the Animal Control at the beginning.
- Translator Microbes: In the third story, Angela and Angelica wear a pair of earrings that help them communicate with animals.
- Vertebrate with Extra Limbs: Randall of course, but there's also Sylvia, a wolf-like monster with four legs, two retractable arms, and a pair of wings.
- Villain Song: Lots.
- The Show Within a Show The Winged Wolf 2 has the villain Isabelle sing "Be Prepared''.
- In the second installment, Sylvia sings "Hellfire", with Randall in the place of Esmeralda.
- In the third, Waternoose, Sylvia, and Henkan sing an altered version of "Savages", with Randall and his friends singing the side of the Indians.
- While serving her third time in prison at the end, Sylvia sings "My Lullaby" to her and Henkan's child. Later, she sings "Morded's Lullaby".
- Weirdness Censor: All the others humans are only mildly surprised by the fact that Angela has a giant eight-legged dog-like lizard for a pet.
- Yandere: Sylvia Schneider is this to Randall after initially breaking up with him. She'll do anything to get back with him, even if it means killing his friends.
- You Can Talk?: Angela has this reaction after hearing Randall for the first time.
- You Do Not Want To Know: Henkan gives this after Waternoose asks him where he got the new camouflauge gland to use as a donor for Sylvia.