Sequel: The Original Title
A Title Trope
, where the Oddly Named Sequel
inherits the previous installment's title as its subtitle. Can overlap with Appropriated Title
open/close all folders
Live Action TV
- The Red Dwarf Series VI episode "Emohawk: Polymorph II", named in reference to the Series III episode "Polymorph".
- Riven: The Sequel to Myst. It's all in the title.
- Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, the sequel to The Longest Journey.
- Three of the Final Fantasy VII spinoffs follow this pattern: Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII.
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, the sequel to Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2.
- Partial example: the first Modern Warfare game actually had Modern Warfare as a subtitle to Call of Duty 4. Its direct sequels, however, had numbers attached to the "subtitle" instead, keeping "Call of Duty" in the title purely for brand awareness.
- Frontier: Elite II, whose sequel dropped "Elite" completely and became Frontier: First Encounters. The series goes back to normal in the upcoming Elite: Dangerous.
- Most of the Total War games use the series title "Total War" as a subtitle, as in Rome: Total War. Total War Shogun 2 is the first game to not do this.
- Played straight with Ironsword: Wizards And Warriors II but averted with the third game.
- Inverted by No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way, the sequel to The Operative: No One Lives Forever.
- Played straight or inverted (depending on how you look) by the Dark Forces Saga: the second game is alternatingly called Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight or Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. The latter notation plays this trope straight, while the former leads to an inversion in the sequel, titled Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.
- Arcania: A Gothic Tale, alternatively known as Arcania: Gothic 4.
- Enemy Territory Quake Wars, part of the Enemy Territory series, set in the Quake universe.
- An adaptation rather than a sequel, but an example nonetheless. 007: From Russia with Love makes the movie it's based on its subtitle.
- The third game in the Super Mario Land series is title Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, to signify the change of protagonist from Mario to Wario, and the subsequent start of the Wario Land series. This only applies to the overseas versions, though; in Japanese, the original title comes first, followed by the Wario Land subtitle.
- Anubis: Zone of the Enders, the Japanese title of Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner.
- The sequel to StarTropics is titled Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II
- Kagero: Deception II. Averted with III, Trapt and IV.
- Hexen beyond Heretic