open/close all folders
- Braddock: Missing in Action III
- Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV
- Damien: Omen II
- The Disney movie The Mighty Ducks had two sequels: D2: The Mighty Ducks and D3: The Mighty Ducks. D3: The Mighty Ducks is in no way related to D3 Publisher at all.
- Hellbound: Hellraiser II. Interesting in that it is actually derived from The Hellbound Heart, the original novella that Clive Barker based the first Hellraiser on.
- Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II, which is accomplished by combining Titled After the Song ("Hello Mary Lou" is a pop song from the sixties) and Numbered Sequels.
- Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III, which gives the main focus on the chainsaw-toting Leatherface.
- The Lost World: Jurassic Park, sequel to Jurassic Park. Averted with Jurassic Park III and Jurassic World.
- The Rage: Carrie 2
- Rambo: First Blood Part II. The next sequel abandoned the original title altogether and just went with Rambo III.
- Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, sequel to The Blair Witch Project.
- Intercessor: Another Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare, sequel to Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare. The "original title" in this instance is the name of the character Intercessor, the real identity of the main character in the previous film.
- Although its poster reads Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI, the film is universally referred to as Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives.
Live Action TV
- The Red Dwarf Series VI episode "Emohawk: Polymorph II", named in reference to the Series III episode "Polymorph".
- Riven: The Sequel to Myst. It's all in the title.
- Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, the sequel to The Longest Journey.
- Three of the Final Fantasy VII spinoffs follow this pattern: Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII.
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, the sequel to Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2.
- Partial example: the first Modern Warfare game actually had Modern Warfare as a subtitle to Call of Duty 4. Its direct sequels, however, had numbers attached to the "subtitle" instead, keeping "Call of Duty" in the title purely for brand awareness.
- Frontier: Elite II, whose sequel dropped "Elite" completely and became Frontier: First Encounters. The series goes back to normal in the upcoming Elite: Dangerous.
- Most of the Total War games use the series title "Total War" as a subtitle, as in Rome: Total War. Total War: Shogun 2 is the first game to not do this.
- Played straight with Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors II but averted with the third game.
- Inverted by No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way, the sequel to The Operative: No One Lives Forever.
- Played straight or inverted (depending on how you look) by the Dark Forces Saga: the second game is alternatingly called Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight or Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. The latter notation plays this trope straight, while the former leads to an inversion in the sequel, titled Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.
- Arcania: A Gothic Tale, alternatively known as Arcania: Gothic 4.
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, part of the Enemy Territory series, set in the Quake universe.
- An adaptation rather than a sequel, but an example nonetheless. 007: From Russia with Love makes the movie it's based on its subtitle.
- The third game in the Super Mario Land series is titled Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, to signify the change of protagonist from Mario to Wario, and the subsequent start of the Wario Land series. This only applies to the overseas versions, though; in Japanese, the original title comes first, followed by the Wario Land subtitle.
- Similarly, all the Super Mario Advance titles (except for the last, oddly)
- Anubis: Zone of the Enders, the Japanese title of Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner.
- The sequel to StarTropics is titled Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II
- Kagero: Deception II. Averted with III, Trapt and IV.
- Hexen beyond Heretic
- Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2
- Parasol Stars' subtitle is The Story of Bubble Bobble 3 or The Story of Rainbow Islands 2, depending on the version you have.
- The band centric games in the Rock Band series feature this, with The Beatles: Rock Band and Green Day: Rock Band