"We'll have you washed and dried
primped and polished till you glow with pride.
Trust my recipe for Instant Bride.
You'll bring honor to us all!"
A.K.A. Torture Session Montage.
A girl with frizzy hair, pimples, braces and Nerd Glasses
is plunked into a chair (maybe even tied down for good measure) in front of a mirror by well-meaning friends and attacked with a flurry of curling irons, combs, hair gel, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, lipstick, nail polish, and all manner of powders and waxes. Put her under a bright spotlight, like at a Jack Bauer Interrogation
, for good measure. Just remember, before you're done, The Glasses Gotta Go
. She never exhibits any allergic reactions from the multitude of substances that are put on her, and never stands up for herself if she doesn't want to have a makeover in the first place.
Voila, She Is All Grown Up
! Often hypocritically paired
with Be Yourself
, as the glamorous version the person has never been before is their true self all along
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- A rather dark version of this occurs in Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem, in which the kidnapped alien band are given a fully automated makeover to make them appear human: their skin is painted, their hair is dyed, their memories are replaced, and they are all fitted with mind control devices.
- The Princess Diaries with Anne Hathaway.
- Sandra Bullock undergoes one for Miss Congeniality. Waxing was involved.
- Occurs in Memoirs of a Geisha, in both the book and film version.
- Occurs over a course of a few scenes in Mean Girls with Cady.
- Alyson Hannigan in Date Movie.
- Another rather creepy variant appears in Mirrormask, though whether the use of the Carpenters song "Close To You" pushes it into Narm territory is debatable.
- Rare and elusive all-male version in Encino Man, in which a caveman is miraculously transformed into a goofy 80s teenager by the two guys who found him. Complete with towel turban and bath beads (which, admittedly, the caveman ate).
- Parodied in Not Another Teen Movie, in which the makeover strictly consists of removing Janie's glasses and letting her hair out of its ponytail.
- Happens multiple times in a row in the 2007 St. Trinian's movie.
- Fern gets a new look and a new name in Jawbreaker to keep her silent about Liz's murder.
- Baby doesn't exactly get a makeover but her clothes get skimpier and sexier as her dance lessons progress.
Live Action TV
- Every makeover show ever made has a version of this.
- That's So Raven has a rare example of Raven doing this for a guy.
- As does Power Rangers Super Megaforce, of all things. Emma and Gia, the pink and yellow rangers, take new recruit Orion, the silver ranger, to get some new clothes and a haircut, as the alien was wearing ragged clothing and had let his hair grow out after his home planet had been destroyed by the bad guys.
- Queer Eye For The Straight Guy
- The How I Met Your Mother episode "Game Night" has one for the creation of Barney.
- Suggested by Abed in Community episode Physical Education when the group wants to get him to impress a girl.
- Parodied in the iCarly episode iKiss, where they have a parody of typical teenage girl movie, including a makeover-scene. Considering the main audience of the show, this move was pretty ballsy.
- "Like the First Time" ("처음처럼" by 티아라) has a music video that is this. Five friends prepare their glasses & books girl for a 소개팅 (blind date).
- The song "Rainbow High" in The Musical Evita is essentially one of these.
- Deliberately avoided in Gunnerkrigg Court, when the girls go to get haircuts in Chapter 15. The comic skips straight to the finished haircut and Red's reaction, with the narrator mentioning in passing that the skipped scene "would have been a very amusing haircut montage."
- The Doll Face video.
- Parodied by Hardly Working. Sarah does one for David and Pat - into an ordinary black gown, which she says is the only thing she has. At the guys' insistence, she goes through the makeover montage. The resulting product in the end is that she looks a lot like Elphaba in a sweater.
- Parodied in the Bone Mouth sketch "Makeover Montage Goes Awry" - First the recipient of the makeover is murdered by a man lurking in the closet... Then her murderer gets the makeover instead