"MAKEOVERMAKEOVERMAKEOVERMAKEOVER! FOR YOU AND ME!"
, "Makeover, Makeover, Makeover: The Makeover Episode"
Simply put, the transformation from mundane (or ugly) to beautiful. This is a theme found in works from all over the world, though probably the best known is the "Cinderella
" rags-to-riches story. The Makeover
may result in a permanent change
in the character, but it's just as likely they'll reform
at the end of a story as they learn it's alright to Be Yourself
most commonly results in a change in appearance, but it has other forms. A Training Montage
, for example, is a kind of makeover. The Makeover
is also a major source of Character Development
, as the physical transformation has an impact on the personality of the character, for better or for worse.
Frequently takes the form of a Makeover Montage
, but not always.
Truth in Television
, though fictional ones are generally more dramatic.
Compare Rule of Glamorous
A Super Trope
- The Boutique public service ad from Canada is a creepy deconstruction of this.
Fairy Tales and Folklore
- In issue 3647 of The Beano, Dennis the Menace (UK)'s parents were surprised by Gok Wan, who offered them a makeover, to Mum's delight. The results are revealed in issue 3649, with the parents commenting that it's taken years off them. They look completely different, and Dad seems to have had a personality transplant!
- There exists a whole genre of reality shows all about making over unattractive people, ranging from extreme (including orthodontic and plastic surgery) to the more moderate wardrobe makeover.
- Hairspray, Tracey and Edna in "Welcome to the Sixties".
- Annie: Little orphan Annie in "I Think I'm Gonna like It Here".
- Legally Blonde: Male example with Emmett Forrest in "Take It Like A Man".
- Parodied in the Clone High episode "Makeover Makeover Makeover".
- The Weekenders, when Tish lands a role on a teen TV show.
- An episode of Family Guy involved Meg getting a makover and becoming the lead singer of her Family Band.
- An episode of Sabrina: The Animated Series averts this. In an effort to make her cousin Norma to at least 'look' less embarressingly weird Sabrina attempts to make her over. It's an absolute success....until Norma's hair springs right back into its bizaree styl. No further attempts are made and she goes back to her orignal weird style.