"I am a bundle of pure trouble!"Uh-oh, it's a Dinosaur (which began life titled Paul and Kyra) is a Life Embellished Webcomic by Andrew Bilitz (who also does Phil Likes Tacos) which updates three times a week.The main character is Kyra who, as the title indicates, is more than likely a dinosaur in modern times. She's highly energetic and intelligent, even understanding and speaking human languages. She is also some bizarre escaped lab experiment with an occasional genius for mechanics and killing and slashing things that pops up at rather unexpected times.Kyra lives with washed-up artist Paul, who works a thankless retail job, is rather timid, and is loath to venture beyond his apartment. While the comic takes place in what seems to be our regular world, every adventure they stumble upon ends up becoming over exaggerated and insane.
—Kyra, Uh-oh, it's a Dinosaur
The tropes in play
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Kyra can slice and dice small neighborhood animals with her claws in a manner reminiscent of this trope.
- Animal Talk: Animals talk one way, humans speak English (so far), and Kyra bridges the gap with strange broken English. The occasional person who hears her talk can get completely weirded out by the experience.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Invoked at least by page 332:Jill: If she wants to come out of hiding she's going to be confronted with politics, religion, and favorite movies like the rest of us.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Kyra suffers from this.
- Blunt Metaphors Trauma: Kyra suffers from this, too.
- Cameo: The MythBusters appear on this page. However, many other pages hold cameos as well, such as a mustached man named "Mario" working at a shop.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Intentionally averted. Bilitz wanted the comic to not head this way and at one point he realized it was headed this way.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Kyra and Beatrice.
- Crazy Cat Lady: Mrs. Lucinda, with her one cat. You will eventually learn to feel sorry for the poor thing.
- Friend to All Living Things: Beatrice.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The weird beekeeper girl's name is Beatrice. What, you weren't expecting a pun?
- Life Embellished: Paul's (torturous) work experience in retail, aspirations, need to budget and mete out a schedule? Very realistically grounded. Kyra's whole existence? Insane adventures with bounty hunters, mad scientists, and so forth? Not so much.
- Mean Boss: Martha.
- Punny Name: Beatrice. Also Tyrone Asarus and Jill Anjack.
- Relax-o-Vision: When Paul is given his special assignment by his Mean Boss, the poor clean freak is assigned to the bathroom. The extent to which cleaning is necessary is censored by replacing the offensive material with cute puppies. Hundreds of them.Paul: Ohhhh puppy!
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Kyra.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: It never occurred to Beatrice that animals don't talk, so Kyra's talking is not at all strange to her. It is thus far unclear to what extent she can communicate to animals, but her beekeeping habits suggest it's at least a little.
- Strange-Syntax Speaker: Partly defines Kyra's speech.
- Terrified of Germs: Paul is a clean/neat freak.
- Webcomic Time: It's only been a few days in-story.
- You Make Me Sic: Among many others, every time the author means "than", he spells it "then" (with only one exception).