Exploding Fish Tanks
it has become almost mandatory that if an aquarium is shown at any point, the aquarium will inevitably be destroyed, spilling the water and all the poor fish it contains out onto the floor. Sometimes this is the result of collateral damage, the fish tank was merely in the way, and sometimes the destruction of the tank is intentional, with the fish - always some deadly and often poisonous species - being used as weapons themselves. Occasionally Played for Laughs in comedies. For the outdoor version, see Big Dam Plot.
open/close all folders
- Played for laughs in this Yellow Pages commercial.
Anime & Manga
- In an episode of Cardcaptor Sakura set at an aquarium, the Water card-spirit invades and causes just the sort of damage you'd expect.
- Martin Riggs intentionally shoots the aquarium in the office of Arjen Rudd, Minister of Diplomatic Affairs for the South African Consulate, Lethal Weapon 2.
- Ethan Hunt blows up the floor-to-ceiling aquariums in a restaurant as cover for his escape in Mission: Impossible.
- The destruction of a very large (and thus very expensive) aquarium is the driving force behind the plot of Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo, a rare comedy example.
- In the original Total Recall (1990), Diabolical Mastermind Vilos Cohaagen has an aquarium in his office. After he is forced to give the order to kill his brainwashed undercover best friend, he angrily kicks over the the aquarium. The shot of the fish gasping for air was a foreshadowing of the scene later in the movie where several characters are ejected onto the airless surface of Mars without pressure suits.
- Octopussy. Octopussy is shown feeding her poisonous blue-ring octopus early in the film. Later, the aquarium is destroyed when James Bond rams an assassin's head into it (and said assassin ends up with the octopus wrapped around his face).
- In Push, the Pop Family's first encounter with Nick and Cassie. The Bleeders' screams first make the fish inside the tanks burst, and then the tanks themselves explode.
- Happens in Rush Hour 2.
- And earlier, in Police Story 4: First Strike.
- In the 2008 Speed Racer movie, the mob boss's piranha tank gets a single bullet hole, forcing one of the mobster underlings to sacrifice a finger to plug the hole.
- Several shots are enough to crack an aquarium at a zoo in Eraser, which then explodes, covering the bad guys with water… And alligators.
- Bizarrely averted in Gigli: a man is shot in the head with a large enough caliber gun to blow a chunk of brain out the back of his skull— and the chunk of brain lands in the undamaged fishtank behind him, leading to a lovely shot of fish nibbling at the thinkymeat.
- Don't forget the aquarium with the huge Portuguese Man-of-War in Stormbreaker.
- Happens with some very large fish tanks when Harry Dresden gets into a fight with some Denarians at an aquarium in Small Favor.
- What did you think in The Heroes of Olympus when you put Percy in an aquarium exhibit?
- Early on in The Illuminatus Trilogy an office building gets destroyed along with a whole shop full of rare fish.
Live Action TV
- In The X-Files, Agent Mulder's fish tank never took any damage. The fish inside the tank, on the other hand...
- In another episode, a man who is drowned in his own fish tank reincarnates as a creepy, telekinetic little girl who, after taking revenge on her murderers, telekinetically shatters the same fish tank.
- This happened to Catherine Weaver's aquarium in The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It also revealed that her pet eel was a liquid metal construct, presumably a part of herself detached and used to keep an eye on her office when she wasn't there.
- A narcissistic killer on one of the Law & Order programs poisoned his tank full of exotic saltwater fish when he fled his apartment, presumably so nobody else could ever enjoy having them.
- It was a very bad idea to even think of damaging Sipowicz's fish tank in the squad room of NYPD Blue. So you can imagine his reaction when it was summarily taken out by a stray bullet from a rampaging perp.
- CSI NY had a guy who died when he fell into his aquarium, shattering it.
- Falling Skies has an alien version: Ben shoots out a tank of Puppeteer Parasite harnesses, causing the Exploding Fish Tanks effect.
- Are You Afraid of the Dark?: In The Tale of the Curious Camera, this happens to a fish tank when photographed with the titular camera.
- The video game series, The Incredible Machine, includes aquarium objects. With few exceptions, if any moving object (such as a cat or a tennis ball) just touches one, the aquarium will explode spectacularly.
- The intro of Jak X has Jak crashing through a fishtank with a car.
- The player can do that in the first Splinter Cell.
- In the Kowloon level of Call of Duty: Black Ops, there is a room (apparently a kitchen) in one of the buildings, with 3 fishtanks. Considering the area is swarming with Spetsnaz, it is extremely likely the at least 1 tank will be shattered in the fighting.
- Zork II hides a transparent object in a fish tank holding a sea serpent. The game makes sure you feel bad about the serpent dying in the open air once you break the tank.
- Occurs in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and is actually used as symbolism/foreshadowing.
- Happens when you destroy the entire aquarium in Spellcasting 301.
- In Sleeping Dogs aquariums are one of the environmental hazards you can use to dispatch you enemies. After breaking one you can pick up a fish and use it as a weapon.
- In one of the chapters in Project Eden, there is a floor to ceiling aquarium containing a handful of fish, blocking the characters' way and there is no way around it other than shooting it down. The low-polygon fish flop around on the floor for a while and can explode with a greenish spatter (like mutant enemies in the game) when shot.
- In the Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3, a firefight breaks out at a sushi restaurant. Predictably, the fish tank does not survive the encounter. Nobody lets Shepard forget this:
Miranda "Oh, they shut down my favorite sushi place."
Shepard: "That's a...shame."
Miranda: "Shepard, you didn't..."
Shepard: "I did. Fell right through the fish tank."
Miranda: "And how did you manage that?"
Shepard: "It... exploded."
- In a BIONICLE on-line serial, Zaktan and the tank he's in are blown up by a sonic wave. He survives by dispersing the creatures that make up his body into the air.
- The comic version occurs in The Simpsons episode "Brother from the Same Planet" when Homer and Bart's 'bigger brother' Tom have a brawl in the aquarium. After the tank is shattered, they use the starfish as shuriken.