open/close all folders
- Early versions of An Untitled Story would delete save files whose data didn't correspond to their checksum. This was basically meant to prevent players from tampering with the save files.
- One Sanity Effect in Eternal Darkness makes it look like you've just accidentally deleted all your saves.
- In Banjo-Kazooie, Bottles threatens to delete your save file if you talk to him too many times after claiming to know all of the game's basic moves; he can't actually do it. However, Gruntilda... she will erase your save file for real if you overuse certain cheat codes.
Role Playing Games
- In Bravely Second, the False God Providence, after Breaking the Fourth Wall, insulting the party as mere puppets to the player, and engaging in some Interface Screw, tries to do this. Yew manages to stop him, instead giving him a Patrick Stewart Speech for his trouble.
- Present in Earthbound as the final routine in the game's well-known Copy Protection. If you make it to the final boss, the game hangs. Resetting the game reveals that your saves are erased.
- In Nier, to get the final ending where Kaine is saved, Nier must choose to have his existence erased, including everyone's memories of him. If you do choose this, the game erases all of your save data, and doesn't even allow you to choose the same name if you start a new game. It does give you three or four "Are You Sure You Want to Do That?" warnings, first and asks you to input the name you gave him in the beginning, though.
- In Undertale:
- After defeating Asgore for the first time, a major plot twist happens and you're forced to restart the game. When you do, the first thing you see is a save point... and interacting with it causes Flowey, now hopped up on the six human SOULs to erase it right in front of your eyes, saying: "Oh, and forget about escaping to your old SAVE FILE. It's gone FOREVER." He gives it back when you defeat him, though.
- At the end of a Genocide run, the first human shows up and destroys the game. Starting it back up yields a blank screen. After you wait several minutes, the first human shows up and lets you back in, but at a price.
Run And Gun
- The Resettis from Animal Crossing will show up to lecture you if you don't save your game properly before quitting and even threaten to delete your save file. They can't actually do it.
- LHX Attack Chopper has one save file. If you die your savegame is deleted. Even when you abort the mission in enemy territory, there's a chance that you can be killed trying to escape or just plain wind up missing in action.
- Did you fail to eject in time during an emergency in Steel Battalion? Kiss your save file goodbye!
Third Person Shooter