Videogame / Lose/Lose
Freeware shoot-'em-up game for the Mac that plays something like Space Invaders
, with one big difference — if you shoot an alien, the game permanently (it completely skips the recycle bin!) deletes a file from your computer. If you collide with an alien, the game deletes itself
Amazingly, people actually have played this and enjoy it (the high score is something like 412 files). We don't recommend playing this, though, unless you planned on reformatting your computer anyway note
in which case have at it.
It's been labeled as malware by several antiviruses, though it technically isn't since malware does harm without
No links, for obvious reasons. If you're really
curious, just Google Lose/Lose
for its site...and don't say we didn't warn you.
This...er, "game"...provides examples of:
- Freeware Games: A crazy one.
- Meaningful Name: It's a Lose/Lose situation — shoot the enemies, your files get deleted; crash into them, you lose and the game gets deleted.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: By stopping the alien invasion, you delete important files from your hard drive.
- Perma Death: The game deletes itself if you die. You could redownload it, but that's completely missing the point.
- Schmuck Bait: You know you want to play it and completely delete all of your files.
- Shoot 'em Up: An interesting form. You have infinite ammo, but the "enemies" don't really hurt you unless you crash into them.
- Villain Protagonist: From the game's site "Although touching aliens will cause the player to lose the game, and killing aliens awards points, the aliens will never actually fire at the player. This calls into question the player's mission, which is never explicitly stated, only hinted at through classic game mechanics. Is the player supposed to be an aggressor? Or merely an observer, traversing through a dangerous land?" Considering that the enemies are your own files and the character is the game itself, the game could be interpreted as you playing a piece of malware trying to destroy your computer.
- Violation of Common Sense: Playing the damn game.
I finally beat the high score! Wait... where are my irreplaceable pictures of my family? NOO!!!!!