open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Ghost in the Shell starts with the sequence of Kusanagi's cyborg body being assembled and covered with synthetic skin.
- Usagi Yojimbo:
- A kite festival story that begins with a description of traditional Japanese kite-making.
- Another story begins with a detailed description of the steps needed to hammer and forge a katana.
- Walt Simonson's famous run of Marvel's Thor included an arc where several issues in a row would begin with scenes of Surtur forging his Twilight Sword, before he and the sword actually appeared in the storyline proper.
Films — Animation
- The Coraline doll in the opening of Coraline is more of a destruction and re-creation sequence.
- The creation of Rodney Copperbottom at the start of Robots, which kinda borders into Does This Remind You of Anything?.
- Right after the opening credits of My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Friendship Games, we see the human version of Twilight Sparkle building the magic-detecting device that will propulse the whole plot of the movie.
Films — Live-Action
- The Man Who Knew Too Little begins with a sequence showing the bomb being created and planted inside the Russian nesting doll.
- The Lord of the Rings:
- The movie opens with the forging of the One Ring.
- Also the scene where the Narsil is being reforged.
- The creation of the Uruk-Hai by Saruman from the earth of Orthanc also counts.
- The Iron Man films have countless forging and manufacturing scenes.
- Small Soldiers opens with the making of the military AI chips due to be installed in the toys.
- The chocolate bars in the opening sequence of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- Lord of War comes to mind — it starts out following the construction and packaging of a bullet, and then moves on to follow the bullet as it's bought and sold, loaded and readied, and finally fired into the head of some poor African kid.
- Short Circuit: The opening credits show the creation of one of the SAINT model robots. The music gets also more elaborate while more and more parts of the robot come together.
- Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey: Station assembles the Good Robot Usses in the back of a moving van.
- Child's Play 2 opens with Chucky's horrifically burned head from the previous film being spruced up and fitted onto his soon-to-be new doll body.
- The Wheel of Time: Perrin forges several simple tools in The Dragon Reborn, when he comes across a smithy. He is invited to stay on.
Myths & Religion
- The 2013 West End musical Charlie and the Chocolate Factory initially opened with an animated prologue designed by frequent Roald Dahl illustrator Quentin Blake, "Creation Overture", that tongue-in-cheekily explained the making of chocolate from cacao bean to wrapped bar. It became a Deleted Scene with the first major cast turnover in 2014.
- The opening number of the Stephen Schwartz musical Children of Eden depicts God creating the heavens and the Earth.
- Most RTS games show your buildings being created with Ridiculously Fast Construction.
- LittleBigPlanet has you scripting your own Creation Sequence via Level Editor, be it recording in Create Mode, Popit Powerup in Play Mode, a scripted assembly line, and more.
- Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver: Arceus performs one in creating Palkia, Dialga, or Giratina, showing real-world photos in the process. Link.
- The StarCraft II preview released by Blizzard managed to make the creation of one of the weakest units in the game almost unbearably epic. Can be found here if you haven't seen it.
- The trailers and first-time opening sequence for Portal 2's co-operative mode show the player characters, Atlas and P-body, being assembled.
- Samurai Jack: in "Jack's Sandals", after going through many different types of shoes, Jack finds a Japanese mechanic who makes him new wooden sandals, starting with some measurements, a block of wood, and such.
- The episode that focuses on his dad's battle with Aku has the creation of the sword by the gods.
- The Simpsons have done this many times. Playing it straight and for laughs simultaneously, whether Homer is helping Bart build a soapbox racer or making Lisa's costume for a school function.
- The construction of the Dinobots in The Transformers.
- Happens on almost every episode of Phineas and Ferb.
- The opening theme to WordWorld actually involved Dog creating all the characters in the show! Spell Dog backwards and you get...