The process of creating a creature or an object, be it mechanically or magically.
, for when it is the creation of a weapon, and A-Team Montage
are Sub Tropes
. This is one of the primary ways of demonstrating just how Construction Is Awesome
See also Transformation Sequence
, Technology Porn
, Robotic Assembly Lines
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Ghost in the Shell starts with the sequence of Kusanagi's cyborg body being assembled and covered with synthetic skin.
- Usagi Yojimbo had a kite festival story that began with a description of traditional Japanese kite-making. Another story began with a detailed description of the steps needed to hammer and forge a katana.
- Walt Simonson's famous run of Marvel's Thor included an arc where several issues in a row would begin with scenes of Surtur forging his Twilight Sword, before he and the sword actually appeared in the storyline proper.
Film - Animation
Film - Live Action
- The Man Who Knew Too Little begins with a sequence showing the bomb being created and planted inside the Russian nesting doll.
- The movie The Lord of the Rings opens with the forging of the One Ring. Also the scene where the Narsil is being reforged.
- The Iron Man films have countless forging and manufacturing scenes.
- Small Soldiers opens with the making of the military AI chips due to be installed in the toys.
- The chocolate bars in the opening sequence of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- Lord of War comes to mind - it starts out following the construction and packaging of a bullet, and then moves on to follow the bullet as it's bought and sold, loaded and readied, and finally fired into the head of some poor African kid.
- Short Circuit: The opening credits show the creation of one of the SAINT model robots. The music gets also more elaborate while more and more parts of the robot come together.
- The second Bill & Ted movie has Station assembling the Good Robot Usses in the back of a moving van.
- Child's Play 2 opens with Chucky's horrifically burned head from the previous film being spruced up and fitted onto his soon-to-be new doll body.
- The Wheel of Time: Perrin forges several simple tools in The Dragon Reborn, when he comes across a smithy. He is invited to stay on.
Live Action TV
- Danger: UXB begins with an intro whose video is entirely Stock Footage, ostensibly from the Second World War. The first few seconds depict the manufacturing of German bombs.
- Samurai Jack: in "Jack's Sandals", after going through many different types of shoes, Jack finds a Japanese mechanic who makes him new wooden sandals, starting with some measurements, a block of wood, and such.
- The episode that focuses on his dad's battle with Aku has the creation of the sword by the gods.
- The Simpsons have done this many times. Playing it straight and for laughs simultaneously, whether Homer is helping Bart build a soapbox racer or making Lisa's costume for a school function.
- The construction of the Dinobots in The Transformers.
- Happens on almost every episode of Phineas and Ferb.
- The opening theme to Word World actually involved Dog creating all the characters in the show! Spell Dog backwards and you get...