Astral Checkerboard Decor
Taking 3-D Chess
to a completely different level.
A subtrope of Chess Motifs
. Somewhere "else
" has this checkered motif on the floors, walls or both. It could be a Mental World
, a Layered World
or just an Eldritch Location
Not necessarily Human Chess
, but who knows?
Also known as the Mason Checkered Floor. Compare White Void Room
. See also Cosmic Chess Game
Anime and Manga
- Kyousogiga: Inevitable, given the massive Human Chess and Alice in Wonderland refs.
- All over the place in Black★Rock Shooter, be it the OVA, the game or anything else.
- Many of the Witches in Puella Magi Madoka Magica have this motif somewhere inside their closed off worlds.
- The page image up there appears in the first episode. Interestingly, that particular area is never shown again, and it's unclear what exactly it is.
- When Homura fights the wraiths at the end of the manga, the fight takes place in a dungeon with a checkered floor.
- Margot's labyrinth is particularly filled with this in Puella Magi Oriko Magica.
- A checkerboard floor shows up in Soul Eater in every scene of, and exclusively in, Soul's mental image of his soul world when he's in his weapon form.
- Seen in Nightmare's lair in Kirby of the Stars.
- Checkerboards appear throughout Tokyo Ghoul, and are typically either hint at hidden danger or Kaneki's damaged mental state. The primary example is Yamori's Playroom, where Kaneki endures 10 days of torture prior to embracing his Ghoul nature. At several points after that, he hallucinates checkered patterns on floors, walls, or even skies. Another, more subtle example is the checkered pattern on the floors of Uta's shop, hinting at their true nature as The Chessmaster manipulating events behind the scenes.
- After Kazuma dies in KonoSuba, he ends up in some sort of Purgatory, which has checkerboard flooring.
- During Susie's nightmare during In Love And War, several cardboard boxes fall from the sky, some with the bottoms black, others white. Once they are finished falling, they resemble a giant checkerboard.
- All over The Matrix; one example is when Neo goes to meet Morpheus (and first enters "the Real World.") The movie is pretty blatant with the Alice in Wonderland refs in that scene.
- Pan's Labyrinth
- The Devil's office in The Devil's Advocate.
- Inception has dream locations like this.
- The longest and most memorable of The Dude's dream sequences in The Big Lebowski features the checkerboard flooring he saw earlier at the eponymous Big Lebowski's house.
- Notably the afterlife hallways in Beetlejuice, but shows up other places as well. Combines with stripes and other bold patterns, as well as Bizarrchitecture.
- Tom Petty's video for "Don't Come Around Here No More".
- Ayumi Hamasaki's "Song 4 u".
- Murray Head's "One Night in Bangkok" which has both a chessboard on a table and a huge one on a floor big enough to have people as the pieces.
- Lots in American McGee's Alice and its sequel, as you'd expect from something based on Alice in Wonderland.
- Tartarus in Persona 3.
- In a similar vein, the Collective Unconscious in the Persona series.
- The heart of the Amala Labyrinth in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne where Lucifer resides has a checkerboard floor.
- Interestingly, quite a bit on the Mario games, such as certain fortresses in Super Mario Bros. 3. Given the Alice in Wonderland roots, little wonder.
- The Legend of Zelda
- The South Face Shrine in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening has this design. It appears earlier in the game as well, but this is the point where it's most appropriate. It's where Link discovers that the island is part of a dream-made-real, created by the Wind Fish.
- The Temple of Time in Ocarina of Time. The Forest Temple has rooms with this pattern as well.
- The Ancient Castle of Ikana in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Majora's Mask features this, as well as some parts of the Stone Tower Temple.
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles features them quite prominently in the Blue Sphere special stages. Green Hill Zone doesn't count, however, since despite featuring a prominent checkerboard pattern, it's not actually otherworldly within the context of the series.
- Touhou: In Fanworks, Sikieiki's Court has a chessboard floor, somewhat justified, given her ability to judge things black and white.
- The Background in the final battle of Lotus Land Story uses a Blue and black checkerboard background.
- Also the Palace of the Earth spirits has a Checkerboard floor
- Yume Nikki has a checkered pattern on Madotsuki's shirt. The Fangames took that and carried on with it, ending up with this trope.
- Chessboard Land in King's Quest VI.
- Quake has levels with this style of decor.
- The Bizarrchitecture in Constantine's mansion in Thief: The Dark Project includes checkerboard floors (and walls and ceilings in such places as the floor ceases to be a floor).
- In Psychonauts, Sasha Nein's mental world is shown as a large cube with an odd, checkerboard-like design, signifying himself as The Stoic.
- Dragon's Lair has Dirk jumping from square to square on a chessboard to keep the bad knight from electrocuting him.
- Checkerboard surfaces are all over the place in the Doom Game Mod Void, which is set in an Eldritch Location.
- The Scott Pilgrim vs. The World game cultimates in a Battle in the Center of the Mind with Gideon on a checkerboard floor.
- The Logic Chess sequences in Ace Attorney Investigations 2 take place on a blue checkerboard plane, representing Edgeworth's mental chess matches against witnesses.
- The Battlefield in Homestuck is a Checkerboard PLANET after prototyping enough times.
- The world beyond the couch cushions in Ozy and Millie features a good amount of this. To quote the commentary in the book Prehistrionics: "My fondness for stripes, checkerboards, polka dots, arrows, and other pop-art-esque patterns has never been so obvious as it was during this storyline."
- Chessboard patterns appear throughout the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared series: the dining room floor in DHMIS 1, the bathroom floor in 2, the picnic mat in 3, the digital world in 4, and the kitchen tiles in 5. It foreshadows the Lotus-Eater Machine nature of the world they live in; the world's control room in 6 also has chessboard flooring.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: there's a notable creepy checkerboard ground in the scenes where the mane cast confront the villain Discord on his throne during part two of the season 2 premiere. Because of Discord, all of Ponyville had effectively been turned into an Eldritch Location.
- In the comics, a map included in one issue has a similar design for the site of where a battle with Discord was once held long ago.
- Due to the ease of generating a checkerboard pattern on an infinite plane, this is a common aspect of early computer-generated images. Compare the classic mirrored sphere on a checkerboard floor. Not to mention the famous checkerball from the early Amiga graphics demo (it was patterned so you could see that it was spinning) — so famous that it eventually became the platform's official logo.
- Commonly used to represent transparency in images being edited. Used in Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET, The Gimp, and others.