"NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY?"Blue Sphere
— Blue Sphere opening screen
is a hidden mini-game included on the Sonic & Knuckles
cartridge, based on the Special Stages of Sonic 3 & Knuckles
. It is playable when you place (almost) any Genesis cartridge other than Sonic the Hedgehog 2
's lock-on slot and press the A, B, and C buttons at the same time. If you do this with any cartridge other than the original Sonic the Hedgehog
or Sonic Classics 3 in 1
, you'll only get to play a single stage.
Upon completion of the stage, you'll be given a twelve-digit password for use when you play the game with the original Sonic the Hedgehog
or the aforementioned Compilation Re-release
locked into the top slot of S3&K
. It also appears as its own game option in Sonic Mega Collection
,Sonic Mega Collection Plus
(called Blue Sphere
, despite not having an official title) and the Sonic and Knuckles Collection
for the PC.Not to be confused with Star Ocean: Blue Sphere
This game provides examples of:
- Difficulty By Acceleration: You move faster the longer you take to complete the stage.
- Easter Egg: The game's actual existence outside of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Technical difficulties with the palette prevented Sonic Team from doing Knuckles in Sonic 1, so they put this game in. The game's existence and the button combination required to play it weren't mentioned in the manual, which in fact said not to put in any other game.
- Endless Game: After a while, certain levels repeat themselves and eventually just carries on from Level 1 again. Only if you put in the specific cartridge needed to play the full game, though.
- Nintendo Hard: Some of the combinations are devilish, especially when running for perfects.
- Password Save: There are two kinds of passwords. One for the stage as presented in the main game, and one for the version of the stage where a non Sonic 1 or Sonic Classics 3 in 1 cartridge was used.
- No Plot? No Problem!: Just press the buttons and go right in.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: If you touch a red sphere, you instantly lose.
- Screw Destiny: The manual says that putting any game other than the second or third Sonic game won't work. You do it anyway. And then you press all the buttons for no reason.
- Schmuck Bait: Scroll back up.
- Spell My Name with an S: Some sources list this game as Blue Spheres.
- Sprite Swap: You can play as both Sonic and Knuckles (some mods let you play as Tails), but there's no difference — all you can do is run and jump, and the speed you move at and your jump height is out of your control.