is a Star Wars Expanded Universe
novel by James Luceno
which focuses on the life of Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin and shows the workings of the Imperial Court and Coruscant after the rise of the Galactic Empire.
It will be the second novel released following the Continuity Reboot
by Disney. With Luceno as the writer
, many fans are expecting the book will recanonize many aspects of the Legends
EU, and previews indicate that this will be true, with Tarkin already getting his first name back.
It will be released on November 4, 2014.
The novel contains the following tropes:
- A Day in the Limelight: For Tarkin, showing his rise through the Empire's ranks to become commander of the Death Star.
- Continuity Porn: As is to be expected from Luceno, even with the Continuity Reboot. The released sample chapter mentions several obscure and antique starfighter models being used to stage a attack on an Imperial outpost.
- In-Joke: Tarkin doesn't like his Imperial military boots because they are uncomfortable. Peter Cushing had the same problem while filming A New Hope, so he wore pink slippers instead whenever his feet were out of the shot.
- Only One Name: Averted - while A New Hope and The Clone Wars only referred to Tarkin by his last name, this story follows the tradition set forth by Legends and reinstates his first name, Wilhuff.
- Villain Protagonist: Tarkin, obviously.
- Villainous Cheekbones: Tarkin has them, as displayed prominently on the cover.