Funny: The Iron Giant
- Giant metal robot + cannonballing into a lake + giant wave + epic Oh Crap! face = Hilarious
- After Dean is deposited on the road:
Farmer: (pulling up in truck full of pigs) Hey!
Farmer: You're right in the middle of the road!
Farmer: (Beat) Alright. (drives off)
Dean: I think that's enough fun for one day.
- How about the very cartoonie-looking raccoon desperately trying to swim in the opposite direction that the water is flowing.
- After Dean is deposited on the road:
- The dinner scene. Words simply don't do it justice.
- "Yes...I mean, NO! CALL ME DEEEEEEAN!"
- The cafe scene: Hogarth has lost his squirrel, his mom has been getting on his case about bringing stray animals home, Dean happens to be in the cafe.
Dean: (Smiling awkwardly) Found your pet.
Hogarth: Great, where is it?
Dean: (Suddenly starts to crack) It's in my leg, man. The squirrel's in my pants, Hogarth. I'm trying not to wig out here.
Hogarth: Don't wig out.
Dean: (Nervously) Oo-kay, he's heading North now. (Jumps up from the table, shaking his leg) Ugh, I'm sorry kid. (To the other customers) I'd like to apologize to everyone in advance for this! (Proceeds to unzip his pants, letting the squirrel out which causes mayhem in the cafe)
Dean: Check please.
Annie: (Glares at Hogarth, who just grins sheepishly)Random background customer: IT'S A RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!
- Among the things that happen while the squirrel is running along the tables is that a man does a perfect Spit Take right into the face of the customer across from him with a full mouth of coffee.
- This may not have been the joke they were going for, but notice that the radio suddenly gets louder once Dean unzips his fly, making it appear as though the music was coming from inside his pants.
- Hogarth on espresso:
Hogarth: If everyone else just did the stupid homework, they could move up a grade and get pounded too! Is there any more coffee?!
- Hogarth meeting Kent.
Kent: Hey there, scout! Kent Mansley. I work for the government-Door: (SLAM)
Kent: (Cheerfully) Hey there, scout! (Sternly) Kent Mansley. I work for the government(Hogarth opens the door for Kent yet again)Hogarth: (Exasperated) Kent Mansley, ya work for the government.Kent: I... wasn't gonna say that.
- And when Hogarth opens the door for him again
- Kent during his investigations.
Kent Mansley: (gets in car) Enormous beast, yeah... Biggest thing in this town is probably the homecoming queeohmyGOD! (pan out to reveal half the car is gone)
- As he runs away, the Giant's hand reaches for the rest.
- "Screw our country! I wanna live!"
- Dean meets giant robot.
Hogarth: His name is Dean. We LIKE Dean.
- The entire scene of Hogarth sneaking the Giant's hand out of the house.
- The scene where Hogarth walks into the bathroom and finds the Giant's hand unrolling the toilet paper. It turns to face him, then wags its severed wrist like a dog would a tail.
- The Giant hiding against a billboard, saluting with one hand and holding a cheeseburger in the other, is a wonderful sight gag.
- The "Scrap and Art" scene.
- "There are two kinds of metal in this yard: scrap and art. If you gotta eat one of them, eat the scrap. What you currently have IN YOUR MOUTH IS ART!"
- The Giant examines and modifies the half-sculpture that he removes from his mouth, and Dean admits, "That's... not bad."
- And then Dean decides to have the Giant help him make art, which is also a heartwarming moment.
- Kent and General Rogard's phone conversation.
Kent: This thing...this thing is a menace. It tore up a power station, it - it caused a train wreck!Gen. Rogard: What did? Tell me again, Mansley, and this time...listen to yourself.Kent: ...(sighs) A giant...metal monster.Gen. Rogard: (laughs hysterically)
Mansley: WHAT YOU *$&@!! (repeatedly slams receiver while cursing gibberish)
- The clincher to that part of the scene is the ridiculous looking oven mitt in clear view of Kent as Rogard laughs his ass off...which Kent promptly turns around in annoyance. Perfectly conveys what Rogard thinks of his investigation thus far.
- Mansley throwing a tantrum when the phone won't sit in its cradle.
(Hogarth & Annie turn and look at Mansley; Mansley inhales deeply as he tries to recompose himself)
Mansley: (calmly): Hi...thanks for the use of your phone.
- The Giant's final solution to stopping a stuck car horn: *FLING!*
- "You know, this is why it's so important to really chew your food."
- The look Mansley receives from Hogarth's mother is absolutely priceless.
- Rogard falling for Hogarth and Dean's ruse that the Giant is one of Dean's art projects, also a funny moment. He takes out his frustration on Kent, while Hogarth watches smugly from the window.
Gen. Rogard: DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH HARDWARE I BROUGHT OUT HERE?! YOU JUST BLEW MILLIONS OF UNCLE SAM'S DOLLARS OUTTA YER BUTT!
"You'll be chief inspector of subway toilets by the time I'm finished with you!"
- And while Dean and Annie are talking, we can hear Rogard still yelling and we can't hear what he's saying, but we do get this part when we cut back to Rogard and Kent.
- Kent Mansley muttering in his car about Hogarth's unusual name.
Kent: What kind of a sick person names a kid 'Hogarth'? Might as well call him Zeppo or something.
- Not to mention the blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment of him checking out Annie's chest when she opens the door all the way. Then again, who can blame him?
"...well. Hello there."
- Hogarth making Kent a "landslide" ice cream sundae.
- The montage of Kent pestering Hogarth in the house about what he saw in the woods, culminating in Hogarth bellowing at the top of his lungs, "I'M GOIN' OOOOOOOOOOOOUT!"
- Doubles as a Crowning Moment of Awesome for the art department, who had to create new layouts and background for every single one of those cuts, some of which last less then a second!
- YMMV on this one, but as a truck with Rogard, Mansley, and another soldier are driving away with a pissed off Giant in pursuit, Mansley is yelling at the driver: "DRIVE, BABY, DRIVE! STEP ON IT, FLOOR IT! IT'S GAINING ON US! FASTER, FASTER, FASTER! (in a high-pitched voice) HURRY!"
- The scene where Hogarth is going home and the Giant is following him.
Hogarth: No. No. Me go. You stay. No following. (Giant continues following him, until Hogarth gets annoyed) I told you! I'll come back tomorrow! NOW, STAY! (Hogarth walks off and Giant continues following him) (getting frustrated) NO, NO, NO! BAD ROBOT!
- When Hogarth demonstrates "wig out" to the Giant earlier on, the Giant mimics him until Hogarth says, "No, no, don't do that! That's the kind of stuff that makes them shoot at you."
Hogarth: Look, you can't go stomping around and you can't come home with me. My mom will wig out.Giant: (mimics the funny face Hogarth made earlier) Ah-ah-ah-ooh!
- Later, when the Giant is following Hogarth home, after Hogarth tries several times to tell him to stay in the forest:
- This line when Hogarth is trying to figure out what to do with his new friend:
Hogarth: -and we can't tell Ripley's Believe It or Not! because they wouldn't believe it.
- Not in the movie, but on the DVD, there's a gag pencil test of Mansley lighting his pipe only to have it spontaneously combust in his face.
- Dean silently trudging back into his house when he realizes Hogarth is trying to coax him into hiding the giant for him.
- "37 minutes later..."
- Hogarth's "You are who you choose to be" speech while held by the giant at gunpoint is one of the film's most touching scenes. That said, the way he winces while saying "Choose," implying that he's not entirely sure whether or not this will work, is sure to elicit a few chuckles.
- When Hogarth tricks Mansley into eating a laxitive filled sunday ("Landslide... It's real new.). Then Mansley, losing patience, starts yelling at Hogarth, without paying to mind the other customers who are nearby'.
Hogarth: First, you take a chocolate bar. Any bar'll do. Do you mind if I...?
Kent Mansley: No, knock yourself out, skipper.
Hogarth: [crumbles up coca-lax] You crumble up the chocolate into little pieces. [stirs the ice cream] Then you kind of just stir it into the ice cream. See?
Kent Mansley: Yes, I see. What do you call this again?
Hogarth: Landslide. It's new. Very new. [drops the coca-lax wrapper in the garbage.]
Kent Mansley: Mmmm. Landslide. Topnotch. Mmmm. [while Hogarth makes himself a "Landslide" with a regular chocolate bar] You know, Hogarth, we live in a strange and wondrous time: the Atomic Age. But there's a dark side to progress, Hogarth. Ever hear of Sputnik?
Hogarth: Yeah, first satellite in space.
Kent Mansley: Foreign satellite, Hogarth, and all that implies. Even now it orbits overhead - Boop! Boop! - watching us. We can't see it but it's there, much like that giant thing in the woods. We don't know what it is or what it can do. I don't feel safe, Hogarth. Do you?
Hogarth: What are you talking about?
Kent Mansley: What am I talking about? WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT?! I'm talking about your goddarned security, Hogarth! While you're snoozing in your widdle jammies, back in Washington, we're wide awake and worried! Why? Because everyone wants what we have, Hogarth! EVERYONE! You think this metal man is fun, but who built it? The Russians? The Chinese? Martians? Canadians? I DON'T CARE!! All I know is we didn't build it, and that's reason enough to assume the worst and blow it to kingdom come! Now, you are going to tell me about this thing, you are going to lead me to it, and we are going to destroy it before it destroys us! (his stomach gurgles)...Hold that thought and stay right there!
(Kent rushes to the restroom. As soon as he's gone, Hogarth rushes out the door.)
- Chris McDonald is hilarious every time he suddenly goes into a tirade. You can tell he really enjoyed the role of Kent Mansley.
- The cheesy 50s B-movie Hogarth watches, full of bad bad acting and poor science:
Scientist: (flatly) The porpoise can communicate telepathically.