Awesome: The Iron Giant
- Though it's not exactly a good thing, the Giant getting royally pissed off, transforming into his Defence Mode and single-handedly annihilating the US Army with a whole assortment of alien superweapons after he thinks they've killed Hogarth is undeniably awesome.
- "You can fly?! You can fly!"
- The Giant just managing to suppress his defence mechanism when fired upon by fighter jets.
- The Iron Giant catching the fleeing Mansley in the jeep, shaking him out of it, and then crushing the jeep.
- The Giant saving two young boys from falling off a building.
- "You are who you choose to be." Suuuuuuuuuuuupermaaaaaaaan...
- Some critics have referred to this as the best Superman movie in history.
- It may seem small, but seeing Dean stand his ground to protect Hogarth from a massive, heavily-armed robot while yelling at it to "Get back!" after Hogarth almost gets vaporized most likely counts as this.
- As well as that moment when he first sees the Giant, the first thing he does after his Oh Crap! moment is quickly try to get Hogarth away from what he believes to be a threat.
- General Rogard's Kick the Son of a Bitch moment with Mansley. After the latter orders the nuclear missile fired at the giant, Rogard points out that they don't have enough time to get out of the blast zone. Mansley says Screw This, I'm Outta Here!, but Rogard orders his men to "make sure he stays here like a good soldier", and keep him from abandoning the town to its fate in an attempt to save himself. Rogard and his men then prepare to Face Death with Dignity. Of course the missile doesn't kill any of them, but seeing Mansley get what's coming to him was very rewarding.
Gen. Rogard: YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH HARDWARE I BROUGHT OUT HERE?! YOU JUST BLEW MILLIONS OF UNCLE SAM'S DOLLARS OUTTA YOUR BUTT!
- More from General Rogard. Earlier when Hogarth and Dean devise a plan to hide the giant in plain sight, Rogard chews out Mansley big time for the false alarm, so loud that Hogarth can hear it from inside Dean's quonset hut. Doubles as funny moment.
- When the Giant goes berserk and chases Rogard and Mansley's jeep back to town, the general unloads his sidearm at it, three times. It takes balls to return fire at a monster that just tore apart a group of tanks.
- When he arrives in town, Rogard immediately grabs the radio out of a frozen and jaw-dropped soldier's hand and orders the battleships to "open fire NOW, damn it!".
- The speech Dean gives about the Iron Giant (the "work of art") to the military. Blatant Lies, of course, but...
- Hogarth Hughes runs right to the Giant, who is on an Unstoppable Rage. Guns all around his body and he points one at Hogarth. Hogarth is probably terrified at this moment, but he doesn't run. He stands his ground and talks to the Giant:
Hogarth: It's bad to kill. Guns kill. And you don't have to be a gun. You are what you choose to be. You choose. Choose.(The Giant shuts down his battle mode and returns to normal.)Giant: I am not a gun.
- Originally, Peter Cullen was going to be the voice of the Giant. Yes, you read that right, Optimus Prime would be playing another peace-loving robot that fell to earth and can still open a can of whoop-ass.
- This isn't to say that Vin Diesel's performance wasn't good, however. On the contrary, the way he puts the right notes of humor, emotion, and sympathy into the Giant's very few lines at exactly the right moments deserves a mention on this page all its own.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: The CGI giant blends in with the traditional animation amazingly.