A 1991 Japanese SF/action film, directed by Keita Amemiya, in which a nigh-unkillable alien creature (Zeiram) arrives in on Earth (landing in Japan, naturally). It is followed by Iria, a female bounty hunter from another planet who has been pursuing Zeiram. Upon arriving, Iria, Zeiram, and two electrical workers are drawn into an alternate dimension where they only have a certain amount of time to kill Zeiram.Zeiram was followed by a sequel, Zeiram II, as well as an animated prequel, IRIA: Zeiram the Animation, which depicts Iria's first encounter with Zeiram. There were also two video games - Hyper Iria for the Super Famicom and Zeiramzone for the PlayStation.
This film and its followups contain examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Iria and Bob. The supporting cast also includes such names as Fujikuro and Glen.
- Alien Lunch: Teppei eats a large white cockroach, squicking Kamiya heavily. It was actually Iria's, as she is shown eating one in the anime.
- Anime Hair: Iria's hair is considerably spikier in the anime than in the live-action movies.
- Enemy Summoner: Zeiram; also crosses over with Cloning Blues and Mook Maker when it spawns a whole army of biological weirdos in the animation.
- One of the funniest moments in the movie is when Zeiram summons an enemy... who ends up just being a puddle with a head and half of a torso. Zeiram grunts at it while pointing forwards, and the two argue in an alien language, presumably about how the puddle literally can't do what Zeiram is telling it to, then Zeiram facepalms and stomps on it.
- Fanservice: The anime shows Iria taking two Showers of Angst over the space of six episodes.
- Healing Factor: Zeiram... kinda; it starts as a Hollywood Cyborg, then turns into the cyborg head and a skeleton, then turns into a flying hat, then turns into an Eldritch Abomination. It technically can heal, but it changes form every time.
- Hero Killer: In Iria: Zeiram The Animation, Zeiram kills her brother Glen.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Fujikuro from The Animation. He postures as The Rival to Glen, Bob, and Iria, but when the chips are down he's willing to cooperate in order to stop Zeiram.
- Jerk With A Heart Of Jerk: Fujikuro from the second film — an unpredictable Dirty Coward with a tendency to fits of vicious laughter, who repeatedly double-crosses and backstabs the other characters to get his hands on the MacGuffin they're all chasing.
- Made of Iron: Zeiram takes a lot of punishment.
- Nice Hat: Played with in the first movie and the Animation; what looks like Zeiram's hat is actually part of its body. Played straight in the second movie, where it actually is a hat.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: Ominous Sutra Chanting, in this case.
- Pocket Dimension: Called Zones. Iria and Bob create one in the first film and the Zeiram unit creates one in the second.
- Used Future: The animation has a nice lived-in feel to it, despite taking a few cues from Crystal Spires and Togas.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: ZËIЯAM