Juliet: Parting is such sweet sorrow.
Tromeo: Totally sucks.William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet... in modern day New York. And, you know, with a little artistic license taken (it's a Troma movie, after all). Written by a young James Gunn.
This movie contains examples of:
- Artistic License: The ending is... a little different from the original.
- Cameo: Screenwriter James Gunn appears as the father of the family whose car crashes and director Lloyd Kaufman is credited as "Shocked Onlooker"
- Cargo Envy: A famous example from the source material is parodied: In the original play, Romeo sees Juliet in the window with her hands on her cheek and wishes he could be her glove; Here, Tromeo has the exact same lines in the same situation, but Juliet is touching her butt instead of her face, so he's talking about a different sort of cheek. (Shakespeare would doubtless approve of this joke.)
- Disaster Dominoes: Tybalt has his arm ripped while being dragged by a car, and then is decapitated landing on a moving truck's camp. The head lands on a family's car and causes it to crash spectacularly.
- Dysfunction Junction: Does it really need Lampshading?Tromeo: Maybe both of us are warped.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The credited characters include "Guy Who Says It Will Take Him Only Two Minutes to Have Sex," "Guy Who Says 'You got to work hard to get ahead in life' and Then Looks at the Camera," and "Blind Chick, Vision Impaired Girl, Woman that can't see, Person of the female persuasion with very good hearing"
- Fanservice: It's a Troma film, topless girls had to appear.
- Filth: The Capulets and Ques are porn mogul.s
- Fingore: A sex scene goes from "I love fingers" to cutting them with a machete.The Cinema Snob: Looks like this was done when the writer learned foreshadowing, but not subtlety.
- Foreshadowing: "And then you put a little incest into the mix..."
- There's plenty of cow references, when... well, see Half-Human Hybrids below.
- Gag Penis: The first appearance of a certain popular Troma prop...
- Half-Human Hybrids: Juliet's potion doesn't make her look dead, instead turns her into a cow monster.
- Parallel Porn Titles: Tromeo has a Porn Stash with Et Tu, Blow Job, The Merchant of Penis, As You Lick It, and Much To Do About Humping.
- The latter of which is rather unnecessary, as Much Ado About Nothing already has a sex joke in the title.
- Stock Footage: In keeping with Troma's trend of Prop Recycling, the spectacular car flip caused by Tybalt's death appeared in other Troma movies as well.
- Surprise Incest: Tromeo and Juliet end up being siblings.