This started out so fun...Slumber Party Massacre
series is a trilogy of Slasher Movies
from the 1980s. All three films share similiar plot: Bunch of girls (and their gratuitous nudity) are having a slumber party
, at some point couple of guys crash it and all the while there's a killer offing them with a power drill.
Close your eyes for a second... and sleep forever.
In The Slumber Party Massacre
(1982), Serial Killer
Russ Thorn escapes from the mental institution and terrorizes the partying girls and two sisters living nearby. It was written by feminist activist Rita Mae Brown, and it was supposed to be a spoof of the genre. Instead it was directed as a straight horror story, whose humor ranges from intentional to unintentional and with more Fanservice
than any other slasher film from those days.
The party begins when the lights go out!Slumber Party Massacre II
was released in 1987. It follows Courtney, who was one of the heroines of the first film and is now part of a girl rock group. They decide to take the weekend off in the estate belonging to the father of one of the girls. However, Courtney is having nightmares and hallucinations of a leather-clad rockabilly who is armed with an electric guitar with built in power-drill
. After losing her virginity (despite the visions of her sister warning her not to), the rockabilly (named Driller Killer in the credits) steps into the real world and starts killing the partygoers.
It's Driller Time... and this bits for you!Slumber Party Massacre III
was released in 1990 and it ditches the supernatural elements from the last film. However, it still does share the series inheret silliness as the victims are complete idiots who cannot stop the killer, even when he is struck down many times and is completely blind
later on. And the killer really
loved his uncle and has a case of impotence (his power drill is a textbook example of Compensating for Something
These films have the examples of:
- Auto Erotica
- Between My Legs: The movie poster, as seen above.
- Bizarro Episode: 2.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Body Horror: Courney's hallucination of Sally's fastest-growing zit in the second movie.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The Driller Killer in the second movie does this before doing the aforementioned random musical number.
"Now it's time for the fun part."
- Cassandra Truth: After the protagonists make one false alarm, the cops in the second movie don't believe any other distress calls from them.
- Cat Scare: There are a ridiculous number of 'em in the first movie.
- Chainsaw Good: Briefly in the third film.
- Danger Takes a Backseat: Both sequels.
- Dead Man's Chest:
- In the first movie, Thorn hides his victims in a car trunk.
- It's also "weirdo's" fate in the third movie.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Trish, Kim, and Jackie are barefoot in the first movie, but downplayed since it's a slumber party.
- Dolled-Up Installment: The trilogy has had several pseudo-sequels/spin-offs, such as Sorority House Massacre, Cheerleader Massacre, and Hard to Die.
- Dramatic Thunder: Plenty of it in the first film.
- Drop the Hammer
- '80s Hair: Third movie is a prime example.
- Electrified Bathtub: Juliette's death in the third film.
- Evil Laugh
- Executive Meddling: The first film was written as a comedy, but it was filmed as if it were a serious film.
- Eye Scream: The pizza boy in the first film is found without his eyes.
- Fanservice: And how!
- Final Girl: Courtney in the second film.
- Gainax Ending: The whole second movie was either All Just a Dream or the hallucinations of institutionalized Courtney.
- Gory Deadly Overkill Title of Fatal Death
- Gory Discretion Shot
- Harpoon Gun
- Hotter and Sexier: Actually averted, despite the large amount of nudity in the first film, the second film features very little.
- I Need a Freaking Drink
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
- Instrument of Murder: Driller Killer's guitar in the second film.
- It Came from the Fridge: One of Courtney's hallucinations in the second film involves a chicken attacking her from the fridge.
- Leitmotif: Driller Killer's appearances are usually coupled with rock 'n' roll music.
- Lampshade Hanging: During the dance sequence in the second film, the girls begin pouring champagne on each other taking off their clothes, and one even begins suggestively grinding on a lamp, while looking directly at the camera. The boys who are looking on quip "I didn't think girls actually did this."
- Let's Split Up, Gang
- Played with in the second film, despite the fact that they split up, and go in different directions, they all end up right back at the house. except T.J
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Killer of third film has hard time getting it up. That makes him only driller killer in these movies who actually has something to compensate with his gigantic power-drill.
- Machete Mayhem: Valerie manages to kill Thorn with a machete in the first movie.
- Male Gaze
- The Mockbuster: The Last Slumber Party.
- Musical Assassin: Driller Killer in the second film.
- Nightmare Dreams: Courtney is plagued by these in the second movie.
- No Name Given: The killer in the second film is simply called "Driller Killer" in the credits.
- Numbered Sequels
- Off with His Head!
- Once is Not Enough: In spades in the third movie.
- Our Lawyers Advised This Trope: This appears in the credits of the second film:
Any unauthorized exhibition, distribution or copying of this film or any part thereof [including soundtrack] is an infringement of the relevant copyright and will subject the infringer to severe civil and criminal prosecution as well as a midnight call from the Driller-Killer.
- Peek-A-Boo Corpse
- Police Are Useless: Third film.
- The Power of Rock: Villainous power of rock!
- Red Herring: The third film has Jackie's odd neighbor and the "weirdo" from the beach.
- Right Through the Wall: In the second movie.
Courtney: "Do they always make that much noise?"
Sally: "The more they do it, the louder they get. Practice makes perfect. "
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Morgan in the third movie.
- Shower Scene
- Sound Only Death
- Super Window Jump
- This Is a Drill
- Trailers Always Spoil: Trailer for the third film spoils the killer's identity.
- One of the frames in the trailer of the second film is the next to last shot in the movie
- Virgin Power: Courtney losing her virginity in the second movie somehow materializes the Driller Killer into the real world.
- Wait Here
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Matt in the second movie spends his time like this in Courtney's erotic dreams.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: Before killing Thorn, Valerie cuts his phallic drill in half.