"Now maybe, just maybe, we're dealing with a mutant form of slug here, a kind that eats meat!"Slugs, also known as Slugs: The Movie, is a horror movie from the year 1988, which was based on a novel written by Shaun Hutson.Set in a small town, the movie centers around slugs (Black Slugs, to be more specific) mutated by toxic waste into carnivorous killers that start eating people. Only one who can stop them is the local health inspector Mike Brady with the aid of his co-worker and his wife's friend from across the pond.
This movie leaves a slimy trail of these examples:
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: The sewers under the city are the kind that allows people stand up inside in full height.
- Attack of the Killer Whatever: Man-eating slugs in this case.
- Attempted Rape: Pam escapes from one and ends up being eaten by the slugs. The rapist gets away.
- Completely Different Title:
- In Sweden, the movie was released under the title Creeping Threats.
- In France, the movie's called Mutations.
- Dull Surprise: Nearly everyone, though Mike's muted response to being bitten by a slug really stands out.
- Eaten Alive: Typically the fate of anyone who comes across the slugs. Averted in one instance but only because the potential slug victim chops off his own hand and promptly gets blown up.
- The End... Or Is It?: One of the slugs survived, and slugs are hemaphrodites, so one is all you need to start the whole thing over.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: One victim's dog starts whimpering frantically as he enters his house, as it senses the slugs inside.
- The Foreign Subtitle:
- The movie was shot in Spain and there it had the subtitle Muerte Viscosa (Death Slime).
- In Italy, it was released as Slugs: Vortex of Horror. Greece had a similarly-titled release with Slugs of Horrors.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: This movie loves to show its disgusting effects up close.
- Hazardous Water: The film opens with a couple spending time in middle of a lake, and one of them being pulled underwater by the slugs, and disappearing in a splash of blood.
- Just Eat Gilligan: For some reason, no one thinks about using salt to kill the slugs.
- Life or Limb Decision: One of the slugs end up in a man's glove before he puts it in his hand, and starts eating the hand. He struggles to get the glove off, and is ultimately forced to chop his hand off with a hatchet. And then the entire greenhouse blows up.
- Pyrrhic Victory: Slugs are destroyed with explosion in the sewers. This causes more explosions around the town with lots of property damage. But all of the slugs were destroyed, right?
- Tampering with Food and Drink: One unfortunate guy attempts to seal a property deal, having eaten slug-contaminated salad the prior night. At first he suffers from headaches, then his nose starts bleeding in front of his dinner guests, then he collapses to the floor frantically screaming and clawing at his face, before a hail of worms literally burst from his eyesockets.
- Title: The Adaptation: A rare thing to be done on a novel based material.
- Urban Legends: One teen is convinced that the killings are done by the "Goat Killer", a local legend.