is a 2002 Japanese science fiction/action film. It involves a mercenary
named Miyamoto who finds himself helping a girl called Milly who came back in time from the future
to prevent humanity's destruction at the hands of aliens.
Miyamoto meets her by accident when he shoots her while trying to kill Mizoguchi, a member of The Triads who killed his best friend years before to sell his organs in the Black Market
. Luckily, she is saved from the bullet by a piece of metal she was carrying in her pocket
. When she tells her story, he doesn't believe her, until she shows him a future device that allows her to move fast enough to dodge bullets
. Then she gets him to help her to find an alien who will summon the rest of its kind to Earth. They find it in a scientific research facility, but when she realizes it doesn't look like the future invaders, she hesitates in killing it, which allows Mizogushi, who found out about the hidden UFO, to steal the alien and the ship. Miyamoto and Milly must then work together to recover the alien before the space war can be triggered.
Tropes in this Film:
- Action Girl: Milly
- Alien Invasion: The Daggra have attacked and destroyed almost all of Earth in a conflict decades long.
- Anti-Hero: Miyamoto. He's ruthless towards his enemies and initially he doesn't care much about anything other than his Revenge.
- Applied Phlebotinum: Milly's bracelet.
- Axe Crazy: Mizoguchi
- Badass Biker: Miyamoto
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Mizoguchi, also Miyamoto's "disguise".
- Badass Longcoat: Miyamoto
- Bittersweet Ending
- Blood Knight: Mizoguchi drools at the possibility of a war.
- Bullet Catch: subverted Mizoguchi catches the bullet and it goes right through his hand and into his head.
- Bullet Time: Milly's bracelet allows her to dodge bullets.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: When Miyamoto finally confronts Mizoguchi about the latter kidnapping Miyamoto's childhood friend to harvest his organs, Mizoguchi at first apathetically retorts that he doesn't recall that day.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Mizoguchi. His sole purpose of existing in this film seems to be evil.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Pocket Protector
- Milly herself also counts, since her future self saves Miyamoto's life.
- Child Soldiers: Milly grew up in a war zone.
- Convection Schmonvection: Cool the bad guys just blew up! Lets sit here and watch the pretty fireball from a few feet away!
- Cool Old Lady: Shi
- Despair Event Horizon: When attempting to rescue the alien child. The war with the aliens is supposed to begin at dawn and it seems that they're already too late...
- Died Standing Up: Mizoguchi, in a particularly absurd way.
- Disappears into Light: when Milly seems to fade out of existence.
- Disproportionate Retribution: One alien is killed so they decide to wipe out the entire human race.
- Distress Ball: Milly picks it up in the middle of rescuing the alien.
- The Dragon: Mizoguchi, who starts as a hitman for the Chinese Triad, but kills his leader and takes over.
- Drunk on the Dark Side: Mizoguchi gets real excited about the power he'll get out of all that alien tech.
- Explosive Leash: Milly plants a bomb on Miyamoto to work for her. subverted, it's not a bomb, it's a magnetic medicinal patch that she made him THINK was a bomb through some sleight of hand.
- For the Evulz: Mizoguchi
- Genki Girl: Milly
- Glasses Pull: Miyamoto, CSI: Miami-style.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking
- Gratuitous English: "POWER!"
- Guile Hero: Milly manipulates Miyamoto into working for her by making him think she's attached a bomb to his neck.
- The Handler: Shi, an old lady who provides Miyamoto with information and weapons.
- Hitman with a Heart: Miyamoto
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Anviliciously so-in the original timeline it was humans being greedy assholes that resulted in the death of an alien child that started the war. Still wiping out an entire species for that is kind of a dick move.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: to further establish himself as a professional dog kicker Mizoguchi gropes the female scientist.
- Implacable Man: Mizoguchi
- In Love with Your Carnage: Mizoguchi towards Miyamoto. "Who is that kid?"
- Inertia Is a Cruel Mistress: see the spoiler in Reality Ensues.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Miyamoto. Also Shi.
- Limp and Livid: Mizoguchi after Miyamoto blew up his villain lair.
- Large Ham: Mizoguchi and Miyamoto
- Masochist's Meal: Mizoguchi shows he's a tough guy at his meeting with the Triads by eating his lobster-shell and all.
- Mooks: Mizoguchi has an army of Faceless Mooks in riot gear.
- Morality Pet: Milly becomes this for Miyamoto.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Shi isn't typically a given name in Japan because one of the possible meanings is "death."
- Never Mess with Granny: Shi, or she'll leave a bomb on your car.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: It was actually killing the stranded alien that caused the war.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Mizoguchi shoots Milly in the shoulder as "a warning."
- The Only One: Milly finds herself being the only hope for human kind when the soldiers who were actually given the mission to go back in time were blown to bits.
- Organ Theft: Why Mizoguchi is rounding up street children.
- Paranoia Gambit: Milly convinces Miyamoto that she's attached a bomb to his neck.
- Pocket Protector
- Rasputinian Death: Mizoguchi
- Reality Ensues: when Mizoguchi attempts to perform a Bullet Catch - while he's fast enough to catch the bullet it still goes right through his hand and into his head.
- Redemption Equals Death: as soon as Miyamoto decides he wants to quit being an assassin he's gunned down by a gangster he crippled earlier in the movie. Subverted, he's saved by Milly putting a Pocket Protector in his coat.
- Revenge: Miyamoto has wanted to kill Mizoguchi ever since he was a child and Mizoguchi kidnapped and killed his best friend for his organs.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Milly goes back in time to stop the war.
- Slouch of Villainy: Mizoguchi
- Stable Time Loop: This turns out to be what is going on, though even Milly didn't realize it.
- Street Urchin: Miyamoto grew up as one.
- Stuff Blowing Up
- Super Reflexes: Mizoguchi is fast enough to catch a bullet... not that it does him much good.
- Trademark Favorite Food: "Al Dente!"
- The Triads and the Tongs
- Troperiffic: The film is like ten different films smashed together and it comes out as an interesting and convoluted plot... with explosions.
- Unknown Rival: initially Miyamoto to Mizoguchi. Miyamoto is in the middle of his spectacularly well-planned revenge killing his way through Mizoguchi's men when the plot happens.
- Villainous Breakdown: Mizoguchi- when Miyamoto escapes from him, he throws a tantrum and orders his men to blow everything up.
- Wake Up Fighting: Miyamoto nearly shoots Milly with his Pillow Pistol when she wakes him.
- Wig, Dress, Accent: Miyamoto and Milly's "disguise" is to dress nice and wear Cool Shades.
- X Meets Y: The Matrix meets E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial meets The Terminator meets Transformers meets Heroes meets Death Note meets Watchmen meets The Dark Knight meets Independence Day meets The Punisher meets the kitchen sink...
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: The movie makes you think that Miyamoto was killed after it was all over. He wasn't.
- You Taste Delicious: Mizoguchi licks a female scientist... to assert his dominance.