The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas is the second Live-Action Adaptation of The Flintstones franchise. It's a Prequel to the first film in which Fred meets Wilma Slaghoople and Barney meets Betty O'Shale. The film outlines how both couples fell in love and the rivalries from others that complicated their relationships.Despite slightly more positive reception than the first film (though still generally negative), this film had the misfortune of coming out during a time when Hanna-Barbera cartoons had become So Last Season, and Universal Pictures was already exhausting their advertising expenditures toward two of their other films released that same period, U571 and Gladiator. As a result of being put on their self-made blockbuster death row, Viva Rock Vegas tanked at the box office, grossing extremely less than its predecessor grossed, and Universal relinquished the Hanna-Barbera film licensenote , resulting in no further Flintstones movies being made since then.
- Alternate Continuity: Not only does the movie re-tell the story of how Fred and Barney met Wilma and Betty, it also has a different origin story for Gazoo - in the cartoon, he was banished because he invented a doomsday machine, but here he's part of a race of galactic observers, and is sent to Earth in order to study the human concept of love and romance (and because he apparently can't keep his nose out of other people's business).
- The Cameo: The creators of the original Flintstones cartoon, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, can be seen briefly during Fred and Wilma's wedding.
- Does Not Like Shoes: As usual for the Flintstones franchise, but it's Lampshaded here.Fred: Was that an insult?
Gazoo: If the shoe fits...
Barney: What's a shoe?
Gazoo: ...Okay, it was an insult.
- Doomed by Canon: Any fan of The Flintstones should know from the very beginning Chip wouldn't get Wilma.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: When Chip announced that somebody at his casino did something horrible, a man asked the girl at his side to confirm her age.
- Gold Digger: Chip only wants Wilma for her family's wealth.
- Mistaken for Cheating: When Betty sees Barney removing cream from a showgirl's chest, she thinks he's making a pass at the girl.
- Mistaken for Servant: Wilma's mother mistakes Betty for a housekeeper when she first meets her.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Like in the original series, Wilma's mother dislikes Fred.
- One-Gender Race: The alien race Gazoo comes from, all of whom are male - they don't understand the concept of 'mating' because they reproduce like amoebas.
- Ptero Soarer: An admittedly cool looking pterosaur acts as an airplane for the appropriately titled "Pterodactyl Airlines".
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor:
- Chip Rockfeller and Fred Flintstone. Somewhat subverted in that Chip's wealth was a mere facade and he needed to marry Wilma for her family's money or then he'd lose his estate and then some to pay his debts.
- Also, Mick Jagged and Barney Rubble. Albeit, in that case, it was more about Mick being famous than being rich.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Chip offered to release Fred from his gambling debts if Fred agreed to leave Wilma. Fred refused.
- Trapped by Gambling Debts: Chip Rockfeller and Fred Flintstone were rivals for Wilma's affections. Rockfeller lured Fred into a casino of his, where Fred got a debt of 1.4 million clams. Rockfeller then offered to cancel the debt if Fred agreed to get out of Wilma's life forever. When Fred refused, Rockfeller stole Wilma's pearl necklace and framed Fred, claiming Fred intended to sell the necklace to pay his debt.
- Uptown Girl: Upon learning about Wilma's financial status, Fred felt the trope's weight and feared not to be good enough for her. That helped Chip on his plan to get rid of Fred.
- Widely Spaced Jail Bars: At one point, Fred and Barney are in a jail. While the bars are close enough together to give Fred trouble, Barney can walk through the gaps without even shrugging. He doesn't until an item falls just out of reach and he has to step through to get them. No, it wasn't the keys; Fred actually has to tell him to go back out and get the keys and let Fred out of the cell.